The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

I do remember Walgreen's, Kresge's and Woolworth's having lunch counters. One of my favorite memories of Ma was that Woolworth's lunch counter.

Once upon a time, before agoraphobia hit Ma so hard, she was a shopper. Loved to spend the day perusing downtown Sioux Falls. She never learned to drive a car, so a taxi was our usual transportation. Sometimes Dad would take her with him as he headed back to work after lunch, drop her off at the State Theater, then pick her up there when he got off at 5 - well, Ma and whichever of the kids was going with her.

Ma and I had to go downtown to find my wedding dress. Funds were limited - extremely limited - and we didn't have a lot of time since the wedding was in a week. I didn't even find out until years later that Dad sold his shotgun just to give her those limited funds. So we didn't get to hit the fancier formal apparel stores like Fantle's, but we shopped until our feet were about to fall off. And holy smokes it was snowing hard and cold!! Believe it or not we found my wedding dress and veil at Woolworth's, and the shoes to go with it. The dress was expensive at $42.00 and the shoes were $7.00, but Ma would still have a little money left over. While I tried on the dress, which fit like it was made for me, she ordered some lunch for us. After she ordered, I modeled the dress for her, hoping and praying she'd like it as much as I did. She came over to stand in front of the dressing room and gently touched my face, not saying a word, then had me twirl around right there in the store so she could see the whole thing.

I'm sure it was a combination of how grown-up and beautiful I felt in that dress with my first ever high heels, that special shopping day with Ma, and how soft her smile was when I came out of that dressing room that made that shared hot beef sandwich, fries and strawberry malt the best meal I've ever eaten. We ate at the counter, laughing and talking while the clerk wrapped up my future in paper and a big brown Woolworth's bag. She cried a little but got over that quickly, then gave me my one bit of marital advice, "Love can't grow without respect."

Then we bought my brother two guppies and left.

Last edited:
Morning all:frow

KD, the recipe is pretty simple:
Ingredients Nutrition
  1. 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise.
  2. 1⁄3 cup buttermilk.
  3. 1⁄4 cup sour cream.
  4. 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice.
  5. 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce or 1⁄2 teaspoon vegetarian worcestershire sauce.
  6. 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce.
  7. 5 ounces Roquefort cheese, crumbled coarsely (about 1 cup)
but that said, something happened about that time... I don't remember what exactly but the cheese was no longer available... I don't know if France got mad at us and refused to export or if we got mad at them and refused to import. To a young kid, these kinds of issues are beyond the scope of understanding and I just wanted the salad dressing. Grandma, once again, came to the rescue and managed to find a pound of it somewhere and even got Walgreen's recipe for Mom.

Just for curiosity... Does anyone else remember the days when Walgreen's had a restaurant?

Thanks for the recipe!

And that's great she was able to save the day like that :)

Morning!

@rjohns39 I remember when drug stores had lunch counters. My aunt worked at one in Ames, IA close to Iowa State Un for years. One of our favorite things to do as kids was go to Aunt Bert's drug store...she made the very best fountain drinks. My brother always got a Green River and I always got a Cherry something or other :D

@LittleBrownie glad to hear about the exam, I was wondering! How long do you have to wait for results?

Latest update on the restaurant: DH contacted our food supplier rep yesterday to ask about our delivery. The rep said according to their records, the food had already been delivered! :lol: :lau :gig

Aw that sounds awesome! And oh boy, hopefully you find out what happened soon.

:th

Then they might want to check with the delivery driver and get the money he got from whoever he sold the stuff to.

Good thing @Blooie wasn't driving down to eat on opening day.

It will work out, it will, it will. I think it can, I think it can.

You know those stories you read about sometimes where a mailman died and his garage was filled with undelivered mail? That's where my mind went to...some delivery guy has a garage full of ribs, brats, lifetime supply of sandwich buns and dairy products.

:lau

I do remember Walgreen's, Kresge's and Woolworth's having lunch counters. One of my favorite memories of Ma was that Woolworth's lunch counter.

Once upon a time, before agoraphobia hit Ma so hard, she was a shopper. Loved to spend the day perusing downtown Sioux Falls. She never learned to drive a car, so a taxi was our usual transportation. Sometimes Dad would take her with him as he headed back to work after lunch, drop her off at the State Theater, then pick her up there when he got off at 5 - well, Ma and whichever of the kids was going with her.

Ma and I had to go downtown to find my wedding dress. Funds were limited - extremely limited - and we didn't have a lot of time since the wedding was in a week. I didn't even find out until years later that Dad sold his shotgun just to give her those limited funds. So we didn't get to hit the fancier formal apparel stores like Fantle's, but we shopped until our feet were about to fall off. And holy smokes it was snowing hard and cold!! Believe it or not we found my wedding dress and veil at Woolworth's, and the shoes to go with it. The dress was expensive at $42.00 and the shoes were $7.00, but Ma would still have a little money left over. While I tried on the dress, which fit like it was made for me, she ordered some lunch for us. After she ordered, I modeled the dress for her, hoping and praying she'd like it as much as I did. She came over to stand in front of the dressing room and gently touched my face, not saying a word, then had me twirl around right there in the store so she could see the whole thing.

I'm sure it was a combination of how grown-up and beautiful I felt in that dress with my first ever high heels, that special shopping day with Ma, and how soft her smile was when I came out of that dressing room that made that shared hot beef sandwich, fries and strawberry malt the best meal I've ever eaten. We ate at the counter, laughing and talking while the clerk wrapped up my future in paper and a big brown Woolworth's bag. She cried a little but got over that quickly, then gave me my one bit of marital advice, "Love can't grow without respect."

Then we bought my brother two guppies and left.

Awww that is a fantastic story! :love

Back
Top Bottom