The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

And Colorado has some weird laws about water... No rain catchment systems...

deb

Dad used to get steamed about the water situation almost every year. He loved his yard and garden. And keeping his vehicles clean.

Then there was the one summer they were gone and left a neighbor in charge of checking on things. That guy goofed and had dad's yard irrigation system running every single day. Can you say "big fine" :rolleyes:

Good morning everyone!

Deb, sounds like you went through the wringer yesterday...hope today goes much better!

Sue, what a nice break you'll get between Christmas and the new year.

DMC, cute picture of your boy & the Christmas tree...ornery guy :p I'm going to wait another week or so to get ours up.

Hi IM, what's your weather supposed to be like today? You once got pulled over by a cop for speeding on your bike? :gig
I like mine up as long as possible. I love Christmas so the cats get banished to the basement.:lol:
Thanks for asking Sharron! Still wearing the giant boot. Guess I forgot to share my Tuesday appointment results here...this is where things are right now:
"What they decided was that the osteoarthritis in my foot was so bad, I was walking off-kilter to avoid putting pressure on it. That's caused some soft tissue damage around my ankle. So we're going to try therapy for 2-4 weeks. Hopefully that will help but if not, will have to try either some sort of injections or surgery."

I haven't heard from the therapy place yet about when I'm supposed to start so I'll need to follow up on that today. The way our weather has been, I'm not real anxious to commit to driving into town on a routine basis. But it seems around here, people are used to working appointments around the weather.
So it wasn’t broken then?
i guess but its the dusting and mopping housework that i just hate, the washing up, i usually wash as i cook so theres not much to do after eating, just dishes and silverware so not much since its just the two of us, same for the clothes and you know how good the clothes smell when hung outside in the sun, if i ever get rich, gonna hire someone to wash bed sheets everyday and hang on the line to dry, and remake the bed, now thats luxury :lol:
I have that same dream!!
I had flowers delivered to DW for our anniversary. They have to be in the bathroom with the door closed or DD1's cat will eat the green parts .... and barf it back up.

Who besides you has the charge/debit card numbers for that account?? If no one, the bank is on the hook and they better find out who used it. :hugs I wonder if Amazon can link a card to a purchase and find out where the item was sent.

Not hard to do on a hill!!

Big girls don't cry-yi-yi (they don't cry)

Maybe next time stop at the nearest place that sells breakfast food and wait for the fog to burn off??

No way I would want to be doing even 35 down a hill. Lots of pain if you fall at that speed!
Heck of a way to enjoy her flowers.
love your xMas avatar... and good mornig
Thank you!

if anything its not desolate... but then you have to be in sync with your land... Trees that grow here are small no more than about twenty five to thirty feet if there is water under their roots. Old timers say if you see a scrub oak ANd a Desert willow growing in close proximity then there is where you drill your well.

My well is 450 feet deep... low producer it takes about ten days to fill that water tank back up... Its mostly for irrigation any way.

I could grow and can grow enough to supplement my own food supply... But there is no grazing for cows or horses. Anything that lives on my land can survive without supplemental water. Desert trees are formidible...

Mesquite its the largest one I have about thirty feet in diameter and the same tall... Branches have Big Thorns... But they also have copious amounts of edible seed pods ... Ground whole pods and all the flour is low glycemic and good for Diabetics. Mormon Tea looks like a knee high plant related to a fir tree. Good for Asthma colds etc.
Yerba Santa... (Saints Herb)
""Yerba santa is used for respiratory conditions including coughs, colds, tuberculosis, asthma, and chronic bronchitis. It is also used for fever and dry mouth. Some people use it to relieve muscle spasms, to loosen phlegm, and as a tonic"" Its in the Willow Family adapted to Dry climates... Therefore it has an OIly back side to the leaf and a fuzzy frontside... With an oily skin under the fuzz.

I picked one off a plant and popped it in my mouth to taste... Tasted just like a Cepacol Cough drop without the sugar. and yes I didnt clean it or examine it for bugs....

Yucca has many uses as a food source and as a medicinal Yucca pods can be picked when green and cooked up as a squash. Yucca root is a used as asubstatute for Potatoes...

But also ""The root of the non-flowering plant is used to make medicine. Yucca is used for osteoarthritis, high blood pressure, migraine headaches, inflammation of the intestine (colitis), high cholesterol, stomach disorders, diabetes, poor circulation, and liver and gallbladder disorders.""

I have Ribbon Wood... Or also called Red Shank... its scientific name is
Adenostoma sparsifolium Depending on water it will grow from four to ten or more feet tall. The peeling ribbons of bark have been used as a tea for aches and pains. http://www.naturalmedicinalherbs.net/herbs/a/adenostoma-sparsifolium=redshank.php Its in the Rose Family.

There are more but thats what I remember from mybooks at home. Each plant in the desert stakes out space for itself... assuring that when moisture does come it will get enough. Trees especially. Very little will grow under neath them.

deb
It sure sounds like a cool place to visit. I would never guess there was that many resources in the desert . That's a deep well I would guess you would have some pretty clean water coming out. I like that method the old timers use. You really do have to be in sync with your land!

Sorry if I sounded mean ,I do that a lot:th

I'm still learning ...

LOL.... I bought my first Forecart from an online friend that lived in Riverside... She was moving to their land in Utah... Packing up all her Fijords in a big horse trailer and leaving her husband in Riverside. He got her settled on their Land and hauled the horse trailer back to Riverside. It had living quarters in it and he kept it parked at the fire station where he worked. Had two more years to retirement.

She also road her horses... When she was asked if the Fijords could keep up with the other trail horses... She laughed and said flat walk and the other horses would be eating dust...

View attachment 1975210

this is the horse I want next...
View attachment 1975218

Very sturdy and short... Classified as pony because of their height 13.1 -14.3 hands meaning thirteen hands one inch or fourteen hands three inches...
Weight can be 880-1100 lbs... Great driving and small farming horses...

deb
Beautiful horses !!!!

I know it, my mother in law wants to move to the city where the houses are 3ft away. But my poor father in law loves the country all he does is out door stuff. I wonder if that's why she wants to move.? So when she presented her idea to him he's like "okay you are going im saying here". :gig He wasn't completely serious but now she has finally stopped talking about moving.

It sure sounds like a cool place to visit. I would never guess there was that many resources in the desert . That's a deep well I would guess you would have some pretty clean water coming out. I like that method the old timers use. You really do have to be in sync with your land!

Sorry if I sounded mean ,I do that a lot:th

I'm still learning ...
It is desolate from a certain perspective... but Its quiet so quiet you can hear the insects rattling their wings... ON some days. The goats hooves sounded like leaves rustling under the trees.

I could actually feel my horses hoof beats from my bed room. When she spooked in her corral ... its pitch black on a moonless night Yet if you dont use a flash light you can see by starlight.... and memory of the ground.

IF you can be quiet enough you can see Jack rabbits in the morning laying in the shade of the Chaparal enjoying the morning coolness laying in the blow sand... turn away and back and they are gone.

We have three different kinds of rabbits.... Brush Rabbits, Cotton tails and Jack Rabbits... small medium and Ginormous in that order...

Brush rabbit Which is 2/3ds the size of a Cotton tail
upload_2019-12-5_15-36-23.png

Desert Cotton tail
upload_2019-12-5_15-39-11.png

Sonoran Jack rabbit which is about twice the size of a Cotton tail
upload_2019-12-5_15-41-7.png

deb

if anything its not desolate... but then you have to be in sync with your land... Trees that grow here are small no more than about twenty five to thirty feet if there is water under their roots. Old timers say if you see a scrub oak ANd a Desert willow growing in close proximity then there is where you drill your well.

My well is 450 feet deep... low producer it takes about ten days to fill that water tank back up... Its mostly for irrigation any way.

I could grow and can grow enough to supplement my own food supply... But there is no grazing for cows or horses. Anything that lives on my land can survive without supplemental water. Desert trees are formidible...

Mesquite its the largest one I have about thirty feet in diameter and the same tall... Branches have Big Thorns... But they also have copious amounts of edible seed pods ... Ground whole pods and all the flour is low glycemic and good for Diabetics. Mormon Tea looks like a knee high plant related to a fir tree. Good for Asthma colds etc.
Yerba Santa... (Saints Herb)
""Yerba santa is used for respiratory conditions including coughs, colds, tuberculosis, asthma, and chronic bronchitis. It is also used for fever and dry mouth. Some people use it to relieve muscle spasms, to loosen phlegm, and as a tonic"" Its in the Willow Family adapted to Dry climates... Therefore it has an OIly back side to the leaf and a fuzzy frontside... With an oily skin under the fuzz.

I picked one off a plant and popped it in my mouth to taste... Tasted just like a Cepacol Cough drop without the sugar. and yes I didnt clean it or examine it for bugs....

Yucca has many uses as a food source and as a medicinal Yucca pods can be picked when green and cooked up as a squash. Yucca root is a used as asubstatute for Potatoes...

But also ""The root of the non-flowering plant is used to make medicine. Yucca is used for osteoarthritis, high blood pressure, migraine headaches, inflammation of the intestine (colitis), high cholesterol, stomach disorders, diabetes, poor circulation, and liver and gallbladder disorders.""

I have Ribbon Wood... Or also called Red Shank... its scientific name is
Adenostoma sparsifolium Depending on water it will grow from four to ten or more feet tall. The peeling ribbons of bark have been used as a tea for aches and pains. http://www.naturalmedicinalherbs.net/herbs/a/adenostoma-sparsifolium=redshank.php Its in the Rose Family.

There are more but thats what I remember from mybooks at home. Each plant in the desert stakes out space for itself... assuring that when moisture does come it will get enough. Trees especially. Very little will grow under neath them.

deb
:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom