The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

sounds like you have made some good progress. What's the formula?:lol:
LOL... The formula is being 64 half way to 65... having battled weight most my life... Every time I lost a few pounds Id gain it back and add on another twenty...

I had High Blood pressure Type 2 Diabetes and a heart muscle that was like old shoe leather...

I had Sleeve Gastrectomy surgery. which reduced my stomach to seven ounces and in the process removed that portion that tells you when you are hungry. Had the surgery in June... I forget to eat...

But here is the big one... My blood sugar went so low they took me off All the meds I was taking for Diabetes. ALL of them. Except for nerve pain... Unfortunately that will not reverse because its damage caused by too much sugar in the blood.

Then around the same time The doc couldnt get a blood pressure to register... I took it at home and it was dangerously low. Doc cut my bp meds in half... My cardiologist went one further... And took me off all but one. With the instruction that if my blood pressure stayed below a certain point I was to stop taking it.

As I get more active my heart, without that extra work needed, will become more elastic.

I care about the weight of course... But I care more about being able to live a long life with quality... We live a long time in my family... my Grandma lived till she was 103... I have another forty years to equal that.

deb

I have about ninteen... All Decomposed granite with HUGE Buss sized Granite boulders hiding underneath. LOL Thats how I wound up with a heliocopter pad rather than a horse arena.....

The guy with the grader Said no problem... then hit the granite and had to stop.

deb
Wow!!!!! I guess I will need a diamond tiped shovel then :gig.

I hope it goes well.

If I were to plant anything I would need a diamond tiped plow as well.

Sorry ....Good morning:frow

Last edited:
LOL... The formula is being 64 half way to 65... having battled weight most my life... Every time I lost a few pounds Id gain it back and add on another twenty...

I had High Blood pressure Type 2 Diabetes and a heart muscle that was like old shoe leather...

I had Sleeve Gastrectomy surgery. which reduced my stomach to seven ounces and in the process removed that portion that tells you when you are hungry. Had the surgery in June... I forget to eat...

But here is the big one... My blood sugar went so low they took me off All the meds I was taking for Diabetes. ALL of them. Except for nerve pain... Unfortunately that will not reverse because its damage caused by too much sugar in the blood.

Then around the same time The doc couldnt get a blood pressure to register... I took it at home and it was dangerously low. Doc cut my bp meds in half... My cardiologist went one further... And took me off all but one. With the instruction that if my blood pressure stayed below a certain point I was to stop taking it.

As I get more active my heart, without that extra work needed, will become more elastic.

I care about the weight of course... But I care more about being able to live a long life with quality... We live a long time in my family... my Grandma lived till she was 103... I have another forty years to equal that.

deb
Oh! I'm so sorry! That's awful. I hope it's not as bad as it sounds:fl.

I don't know what I would do. I would have to leave it up to God. Do you have anyone to help you in case something happened. In terms of work some is probably good for you .I can't tell you how much my health has improved after I bought a farm. And I don't even have it completely established yet and there's so much to do.

Last edited:
Wow!!!!! I guess I will need a diamond tiped shovel then :gig. I hop it goes well.

If I were to plant anything I would need a diamond tiped plow as well.

Sorry ....Good morning:frow
This land is not for farming for sure... But its loaded with naturally growing medicinals... As well as being good forage for goats. fire protection.

upload_2019-11-23_6-12-42.png

upload_2019-11-23_8-50-54.png

My portion of the land is about five acres that are sloped gently if not outright flat. NO topsoil... What you see in the last picture is the same as my driveway. Hard packed Decomposed granite. It has a Crazy quick perk rate because there isnt enough organic material to hold the water.

I lost three thousand gallons of water from a water tank, down a gopher hole because of a hole in a hose. took about two to three weeks. The trench for the water line will only need to be about twelve to eighteen inches deep But its something I simply cannot do.

deb

This land is not for farming for sure... But its loaded with naturally growing medicinals... As well as being good forage for goats. fire protection.

View attachment 1975123
View attachment 1975124

My portion of the land is about five acres that are sloped gently if not outright flat. NO topsoil... What you see in the last picture is the same as my driveway. Hard packed Decomposed granite. It has a Crazy quick perk rate because there isnt enough organic material to hold the water.

I lost three thousand gallons of water from a water tank, down a gopher hole because of a hole in a hose. took about two to three weeks. The trench for the water line will only need to be about twelve to eighteen inches deep But its something I simply cannot do.

deb
:eek: Beautifully but desolate. Tell me about good fire protection! That must stinks that you lost all that water:(. Better hang up the shovel now no way am I'm getting through that. if Our place, if not mowed it will turn into brush land and then eventually tree land. The old owners didn't do anything out here so I have a lot of work.
IMG_20191203_094108.jpg
here's where I'm currently expanding. The snow is setting in right now.

One thing about us, we're not afraid to make a change. It's all a matter of logistics :)

So does Igor like living in AZ now? Hey, how's his foot doing anyway?

Neither of us like it here but CA is a cesspool in our opinions; Igor is embarrassed to say he's from there right now. Don't like the politics and we like our firearms in our pockets when we leave home. With bullets in them so we can actually defend ourselves.

His ankle is ok, good range of motion and such, just sore; thanks for asking. He goes to physical therapy 3 days a week until xmas and we'll go from there. I hope you commit to it yourself, it's helping him. The therapist suggested CBD oil and light massage and I've been putting an arnica gel on it since he hurt it.

:eek: Beautifully but desolate. Tell me about good fire protection! That must stinks that you lost all that water:(. Better hang up the shovel now no way am I'm getting through that. if Our place, if not mowed it will turn into brush land and then eventually tree land. The old owners didn't do anything out here so I have a lot of work. View attachment 1975129 here's where I'm currently expanding. The snow is setting in right now.
if anything its not desolate... but then you have to be in sync with your land... Trees that grow here are small no more than about twenty five to thirty feet if there is water under their roots. Old timers say if you see a scrub oak ANd a Desert willow growing in close proximity then there is where you drill your well.

My well is 450 feet deep... low producer it takes about ten days to fill that water tank back up... Its mostly for irrigation any way.

I could grow and can grow enough to supplement my own food supply... But there is no grazing for cows or horses. Anything that lives on my land can survive without supplemental water. Desert trees are formidible...

Mesquite its the largest one I have about thirty feet in diameter and the same tall... Branches have Big Thorns... But they also have copious amounts of edible seed pods ... Ground whole pods and all the flour is low glycemic and good for Diabetics. Mormon Tea looks like a knee high plant related to a fir tree. Good for Asthma colds etc.
Yerba Santa... (Saints Herb)
""Yerba santa is used for respiratory conditions including coughs, colds, tuberculosis, asthma, and chronic bronchitis. It is also used for fever and dry mouth. Some people use it to relieve muscle spasms, to loosen phlegm, and as a tonic"" Its in the Willow Family adapted to Dry climates... Therefore it has an OIly back side to the leaf and a fuzzy frontside... With an oily skin under the fuzz.

I picked one off a plant and popped it in my mouth to taste... Tasted just like a Cepacol Cough drop without the sugar. and yes I didnt clean it or examine it for bugs....

Yucca has many uses as a food source and as a medicinal Yucca pods can be picked when green and cooked up as a squash. Yucca root is a used as asubstatute for Potatoes...

But also ""The root of the non-flowering plant is used to make medicine. Yucca is used for osteoarthritis, high blood pressure, migraine headaches, inflammation of the intestine (colitis), high cholesterol, stomach disorders, diabetes, poor circulation, and liver and gallbladder disorders.""

I have Ribbon Wood... Or also called Red Shank... its scientific name is
Adenostoma sparsifolium Depending on water it will grow from four to ten or more feet tall. The peeling ribbons of bark have been used as a tea for aches and pains. http://www.naturalmedicinalherbs.net/herbs/a/adenostoma-sparsifolium=redshank.php Its in the Rose Family.

There are more but thats what I remember from mybooks at home. Each plant in the desert stakes out space for itself... assuring that when moisture does come it will get enough. Trees especially. Very little will grow under neath them.

deb

Back
Top Bottom