The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

How is everybody doing with this Coronavirus nightmare? Our daycare is still open. Everything else is closing down. They cancelled my Orthodontist appointment next week as they are closed as of today. The kids were all out of sorts today in all areas. No consoling them. I wonder if they sense something isn’t right?
Yes, I bet they do.

Once upon a time there was a dog.... a unique and very special dog. He could anticipate what I needed before I knew I needed it. He was a comedian. A genius in a clown suit. Whether we were in the conformation ring winning AKC and SKC championships, winning his obedience title, pheasant hunting with the family, loafing in front of the wood stove, or being filmed by the producers of the old Babe Winkleman outdoor series as a rare breed pointing retriever, he gave 110%. When I taught obedience classes, he was my demo dog and he never let me down. He allowed my baby grandsons to use him for everything from a pillow to support for walking. He played gently with my nieces and nephews. He was that once-in-a-lifetime dog, and when he died at my feet after flawlessly returning a training dummy, part of me died. I lost the heart for showing, grooming, and training dogs. I was done. I thought.

Through the years we’ve had other dogs. Ken just can’t live in a house without one. And I liked them all, but not as much as I loved that amazing Flatcoat. Maybe I was trying to make them into him, and simply couldn’t give up to them that hidden part of me that they deserved. Until now. An Irish Wolfhound was a 40 year dream in the making and our beloved Fiona has far exceeded all of our expectations. She’s a gem in a big doggie body and I just can’t imagine our lives without her. I adore her. I know she won’t be another genius, but she sure has the “clown” part down! And now this new little guy has come to add his own special spark to the family. How did we get so lucky with what will most likely be the last dogs of our lifetimes?

For two weeks I tried to decide on a name for the puppy that was joining us. I threw out name after name. Nothing fit. Tam and Ken and friends offered dozens of suggestions. Nope. So I figured I’d wait until he got here and maybe then something would click. Nope. Either I hated it or Tam hated it or Ken hated it. He was destined to be LittleNoName - until I gave him his bath today. The moment I wrapped his fluffy little body in a warm towel his name just slapped me across the face. I’d seen that pose and that intelligent, intense but oh-so-gentle face before. I know now why I wasn’t satisfied with any other choices - God or Fate, or whatever other force was out there, was waiting for my brain to tell my heart that this was the time to open wide that hidden corner Fiona had already wiggled her way into. LittleNoName has a name, and he’s Rueben James. It’s not a name I’d share lightly, and the new RJ has a mighty big pair of paws to fill. But his face tells me he’s got it nailed, and Rueben James (the elder) looks like he approves.

ED55EC02-B39E-4EBE-AC7A-F380B1024033.jpeg

AKC/SKC Ch. Norwynd’s Rueben James CD. Little Rueben James

and they also lifted the requirement that all banks had to have the 10% in reserve to cover the federally insured deposits....so basically if there is a run on the banks, your not going to get your money out.
Well isn't THAT just the best way to get a run on the bank!!! And I thought the TP run panic was bad.

wondering if we can get back to pa, worried about getting gas
Shouldn't have to. They've just announced a "lockdown" of Orange County, CA (where I am for the next 13 hours) and specified what can and can not happen. Gas stations are on the "stay open" list. Though I suspect they'll see a lot less business with everyone staying home.

Can you carry some with you Sharron? I don't see gas being a problem right now but just in case?
Not a good idea unless maybe one has a pickup truck or rear mounted cargo carrier. Even tightly closed somehow the gas fumes escape enough to make you sick if they are in the car or trunk.

Jenny’s hard at work making breakfasts and lunches for kids who need them.
Not all bad since they need the money for the house.

and a country girl knows how to clean and cook them:D
My 40 year old copy of "The Joy of Cooking" explains how to skin and cook squirrel. There are lots of recipes in that book I've never tried and that is one of them.

Hi Bruce, I was wondering if you'd wandered off somewhere!
Nope, just isn't polite to spend a lot of time on forums when visiting family. I was way back on Monday last week when I started on this thread today. Niece and nephew hanging out in their rooms (I guess DD2 isn't so 'weird' after all), DW and sister doing needlepoint so I'm trying to catch up!!

@sharron @Blooie - just heard from our daughter. They are in NC and have gassed up twice - no problems all stations are open, and gas is $2.04/gallon. Traffic is heavy with a lot of Canadians heading for home. Daughter and SIL are driving straight through only stopping for coffee, fast food, and bathroom breaks. To them it does not look as if lodging is a problem.
thanks sour, thats a relief, now i just have to decide if i want to go home or stay here and take a chance, husband ask me last night if i felt safer here or there,
also a relief about you daughter and sil let us know when they're safe at home please

I think everyone is tense and worried, so the kids are most likely picking up on those feelings.

Things just aren't "normal" right now. And while I realize it's important to stay informed, the constant barrage of bad news is wearing on me. I believe it's times like this when people need to work together...stop the hoarding, the fights over groceries, etc. We all need to help each other out however we can. This viral thing will eventually end and in the meantime, why not try to make things better.
i don't think that will ever happen debby, there too many with the looter mentality
there are some that always want what you have without working for it

Back
Top Bottom