The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

How do you feel about that Jae?

I think companies and people should have been given a lot longer to prepare. It should have been decided weeks ago which businesses were essential to give companies time to run stock down (one chain of butchers stocked up only to be told they had to close meaning they will lose 3 million dollars and all that meat goes to waste). Fruit and vege shops are in the same position. In a country where so many do live in poverty its a disgusting waste.

The panic comes when there's uncertainty or its all left to the last minute.

The experts on the front line knew where we were headed. People needed to be given time to prepare.

And when the deputy prime minister refused to go into lockdown when it was decided over 70s needed to be a week or so ago (he's over 70), you can't blame people for now going to the beach or for a bike ride (which they are cracking down on).

Seriously, don't get me started. :lol:

So does that mean you can't have anything delivered to you unless you're a business (an essential business)?

That would be rough here.

Things deemed essential can still go through the postal service but that will be very slow.

DH just found out from the plumber who was supposed to install our chimney that currently heating homes is not deemed to be essential work. I'm pretty disgusted by that!

I think companies and people should have been given a lot longer to prepare. It should have been decided weeks ago which businesses were essential to give companies time to run stock down (one chain of butchers stocked up only to be told they had to close meaning they will lose 3 million dollars and all that meat goes to waste). Fruit and vege shops are in the same position. In a country where so many do live in poverty its a disgusting waste.

The panic comes when there's uncertainty or its all left to the last minute.

The experts on the front line knew where we were headed. People needed to be given time to prepare.

And when the deputy prime minister refused to go into lockdown when it was decided over 70s needed to be a week or so ago (he's over 70), you can't blame people for now going to the beach or for a bike ride (which they are cracking down on).

Seriously, don't get me started. :lol:

Things deemed essential can still go through the postal service but that will be very slow.

DH just found out from the plumber who was supposed to install our chimney that currently heating homes is not deemed to be essential work. I'm pretty disgusted by that!

I don't blame you for being put out! What an unorganized mess (and I don't mean just your country). :(

I don't blame you for being put out! What an unorganized mess (and I don't mean just your country). :(

As soon as we went to 'Alert Level 2' we had frontline health workers saying we should be shutting schools and preparing to shut everything but non-essential services down. By the next day they had a petition for the government signed by 30,000 people, mostly healthcare workers. The next afternoon the government had to shift to 'Level 3' and announced that 'Level 4' would be in place in 48 hours.

We have a very young Prime Minister who is praised overseas (and she has a cute baby so what more do you need), but in reality she just doesn't have the experience to make those tough calls.

As soon as we went to 'Alert Level 2' we had frontline health workers saying we should be shutting schools and preparing to shut everything but non-essential services down. By the next day they had a petition for the government signed by 30,000 people, mostly healthcare workers. The next afternoon the government had to shift to 'Level 3' and announced that 'Level 4' would be in place in 48 hours.

We have a very young Prime Minister who is praised overseas (and she has a cute baby so what more do you need), but in reality she just doesn't have the experience to make those tough calls.

I'm not familiar with the alert levels. What is the most severe one?

That was some fast moving of lock downs.

Wow. That's an incredible price! We're at 60 cents a litre. (A litre is a quart). Just a few months ago prices were $1.22.
That is amazing. One US gallon is 3.78541 litres. At 60 cents/l that is CA$2.27/gallon. Converted to USD: $1.61/gallon. I better go across the border next time I need gas! Oops, the border is closed, that plan won't work.

Back
Top Bottom