The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

🤣 I had to go and use a conversion calculator to work out how much that would be. That might be a little more than I'd prefer. It would dry up the mud pretty quick though, having had more than an inch overnight.

We are hoping our fire will be installed by the end of the week. It's not so much the heat I miss it's how dry a fire kept the house. It's such a humid climate here and the humidity is always bad inside, but even worse outside (so unless we got an expensive dehumidifying ventilation system installed one of those wouldn't do any good).
Good morning JaeG! I would love to come visit your country and Australia, I really want to scuba dive on The Great Barrier Reef! If I could go anywhere it would be to your area!
Stay warm and dry!

🤣 I had to go and use a conversion calculator to work out how much that would be. That might be a little more than I'd prefer. It would dry up the mud pretty quick though, having had more than an inch overnight.

We are hoping our fire will be installed by the end of the week. It's not so much the heat I miss it's how dry a fire kept the house. It's such a humid climate here and the humidity is always bad inside, but even worse outside (so unless we got an expensive dehumidifying ventilation system installed one of those wouldn't do any good).
:frow Good morning Jae, have a great day and stay dry.

The cluster of cases here has grown to 69 and then yesterday a maintenance worker at a quarantine facility tested positive. They are doing genomic testing to try and track where these cases have come from, but as yet they just don't know. They are different strains to the one here previously. The maintenance worker's strain matches someone that was in the quarantine facility but there doesn't seem to be any point of contact between that person and him. And as for the main cluster it matches strains found in England and Australia but as to where the first case came into contact with it, they have no idea which is a little scary.

But it has been revealed that border staff and those working in quarantine facilities haven't been refusing tests - they've in fact been asking for them and being refused. Is common sense so rare these days!?

Good morning JaeG! I would love to come visit your country and Australia, I really want to scuba dive on The Great Barrier Reef! If I could go anywhere it would be to your area!
Stay warm and dry!

For all it's faults New Zealand is a pretty special place. Australia is beautiful too (though New Zealanders would joke that it's full of Australians 🤣 ). We honeymooned on the Gold Coast and I was able to have a snake around my neck (something I'd always wanted to do). The wildlife is amazing and so different to New Zealand's.

The cluster of cases here has grown to 69 and then yesterday a maintenance worker at a quarantine facility tested positive. They are doing genomic testing to try and track where these cases have come from, but as yet they just don't know. They are different strains to the one here previously. The maintenance worker's strain matches someone that was in the quarantine facility but there doesn't seem to be any point of contact between that person and him. And as for the main cluster it matches strains found in England and Australia but as to where the first case came into contact with it, they have no idea which is a little scary.

But it has been revealed that border staff and those working in quarantine facilities haven't been refusing tests - they've in fact been asking for them and being refused. Is common sense so rare these days!?

For all it's faults New Zealand is a pretty special place. Australia is beautiful too (though New Zealanders would joke that it's full of Australians 🤣 ). We honeymooned on the Gold Coast and I was able to have a snake around my neck (something I'd always wanted to do). The wildlife is amazing and so different to New Zealand's.
I hope they can get it figured out, but at this point, I don't believe this will ever be contained and eventually everyone will get it, just like the flu, all they can do is slow it down. I seriously doubt they will ever get a vaccination for it either, if they do it won't cover it as it mutates...just like the flu! Scary days!

Both countries definitely have different wildlife than we have in the US and I would love to come and see them! 💞

Last edited:
I've had a pressure canner for years and I just bought a new one, but I do both pressure and hot water bath! I also learned canning from my MIL and she actually gave me my first pressure canner on our first Christmas after we were married. I like the idea of raising my own meat...you know what goes into it. Right now I would have a harder time dispatching any of my chickens than the rabbits! I think it's because I look at them differently. My husband dispatches the rabbits very humanely (I'm honestly glad that I don't have to, but I would be able to do it if needed) and we both clean them. We bought a 1/2 beef from a friend and we are raising a couple of pigs, but we don't have breeders and there's no guarantee as to the availability down the road. I am hoping to raise some chickens for meat next year...I wanted to this year, but it just hasn't worked out. We are also doing all of this to help our children if needed!
husband dispatches, i clean, i had to teach husband how to skin a catfish, he had no idea, i also taught him how to scale a fish
my mil was a good person altho she always said that husband would never make a garden lol, she was wrong about that, he has no idea how to plant things B U T he rototillers for me and hoes the rows for me, i plant the seeds and cover, what more could i ask for and he help me can if needed

Good afternoon/evening. Hope you've had a good day.
It's been a wonderful day and it's almost over
husband dispatches, i clean, i had to teach husband how to skin a catfish, he had no idea, i also taught him how to scale a fish
my mil was a good person altho she always said that husband would never make a garden lol, she was wrong about that, he has no idea how to plant things B U T he rototillers for me and hoes the rows for me, i plant the seeds and cover, what more could i ask for and he help me can if needed
Sounds like a perfect partnership. Sue and I have complementary skills so it works out well.

We both grew up fishing, so both know how to clean. I mostly stream fished for trout and he lake fished, so he did teach me how to filet perch, sunfish, bass etc.! He taught me to hunt! He's actually the main gardener, but we do pretty much all of it together! He'll be helping me can the tomatoes today!

The first time I skinned a catfish for my Future DW and Family, they were shocked!

Back
Top Bottom