THE NYC BACKYARD COOP - PHASE TWO

thebifman

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 5, 2007
Staten Island, NY
I am almost done! It just needs more paint, soffits and a window. I am try to find a used window that will fit between 16" on-center studs. I gave the wood floor two coats on oil-based floor paint. The roost and nest boxes are made out of salvaged lumber that I found around town. The one chicken I have so far seems to like it! Six more hens are coming in the first week of August.

DSCF4205.jpg

DSCF4218.jpg

DSCF4216.jpg

DSCF4209.jpg

DSCF4215.jpg

DSCF4207.jpg

DSCF4206.jpg

DSCF4205.jpg

It's looking really nice. Gunna be some happy birds living in your coop! Unfortunately, I think you'll find they will roost on the nest box. You really need something slick mounted on the wall and at a sharp angle down to the front of the box so they can't sit there. I had a terrible time with mine that was made like that until I finally got a metal unit. Even then I have to fold up the perches late in the day to keep them from roosting on them and still pooping in the boxes. I guess they just like being difficult. You have really done a nice job on your coop.

Quote:
Yes, your right. She already started to roost and poop in the feeder. She has no interest in the roost! I will put some painted plywood at a steep angle on the nest box...that'll teach 'em!

That's great. Also, watch to see if it will still leave an open area between the nests. Mine did and they still roosted in those little holes. Grrrrr. They just love to find creative ways to drive me nuts.
he.gif

I recommend you turn your roosts on the other side so that the thicker side is the side they stand on. Does that make since? Chickens don't grip with their "thumbs" so your roosts will be hard to stand on.

Quote:
Hey, as far as I know there is NO LIMIT to the number of hens you can keep in NYC. Roosters (and all other barnyard animals) are illegal.

Brian

Back
Top Bottom