The NYC backyard coop.

thebifman

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 5, 2007
Staten Island, NY
I started this coop & run about the beginning of July. It is an on-going project. Having only a 75' X 100' lot, I built a 4' X 8' coop. The front is 7' high while the rear is 6' high. I am 5'10" tall and have no trouble moving about in the coop. I used 3 large patio blocks that I mortared together for each footing. I framed the floor using pressure treated 2 X 4's and joist hangers. All other framing lumber is 2 X 3's. I used 7/16 OSB board for the sheathing. I used 1 X 3 furring strips for all molding and trim. Basic lumber cost was under $200.00! Next steps will include the hen door and a window and the nest boxes and roost.
wink.png

I will post more photos as they become available. I plan on keeping about 6 hens.

DSCF4013.jpg

DSCF4017.jpg

DSCF4043.jpg

DSCF4045.jpg

DSCF4047.jpg

DSCF4170.jpg

DSCF4175.jpg

DSCF4182.jpg

Looking good! How do you get away with chickens in NYC? Are you among our underground group or are you allowed some hens in the city?
Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Quote:
Believe it or not, there is no limit to the number of hens you can keep in NYC. No roosters allowed!! I am in Staten Island, the most rural borough!!

That's surprising for a city that size! But it's great news for chicken lovers. Now if more cities would only follow NY's example!

That looks good, very well built!

Just a tiny suggestion, not a big deal. You might think about cutting out the very bottom part of the door for easier cleaning. That way you can just sweep stuff right out the door.

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for sharing that! Very timely for us as I am designing ours right now. How are you going to address the soffit area? Are you planning to cover it with wood or leave it open with wire covering? I am in maine so I'm thinking I ought to enclose the open soffits (that's the right word, isn't it? The area under the eaves there, between the top of the wall and the roof joists?) so that it stays warmer in winter. What's your plan?
Stacey

Back
Top Bottom