The Old Folks Home

Dd #2 came over early this morning. We dispatched 2 roosters, then put up wire mesh on the exposed side of the coop, in preparation for when I move the chicks, duckling out there. The exposed side has 2 x 4 heavy welded wire, which is fine to keep predators out, but doesn't keep raccoons from reaching in. The mesh is 4 ft tall, so nobody will get snatched. The roosts are far enough away, nothing can reach any birds on them, but sometimes younger birds will huddle in a corner of the coop at night, until they eventually take to the roosts. Now, they can do that, and they're safe.
It sounds like a productive day!

That is SOP for me, even more so since I tripped up on my computer keyboard cord and wound up on the floor. Didn't break anything as luckily I didn't fall that hard. I have to admit that there is a benefit to being short...not so far to the ground/floor.

Which is why Appaloosa/Morgan cross was a small horse. Shorter distance to the ground when unscheduled dismounts happened. :lau

Rain here starting overnight. I think it's warmer now than it was earlier today. I managed to get my started plants fertilized. I still have some planting to do but it will have to wait till this rain is done with us. Maybe a week from the way things look.
Oh wow!!! Glad you didn’t break anything!! I don’t move enough so I guess I get sore when I do :lau :oops:

I’m tall so long way down for me. :lau

I wish I had a horse :hit
What did you do to yourself??
Watched/trained/played (mostly tug) with a puppy all day lol

Then also cleaned the brooder or at least part of it. It’s a pretty small brooder but the walls are high/weird angle so lots of up/down/side and other weird motions with my shoulders haha

Also carried a paver/cinder block type thing in to put their water in and brought their feeder in.

And of course caught the chicks and brought them outside to a pen then back inside today. They weren’t hard to catch though thankfully. Oddly. I thought they would be.

I think the puppy is what did me in, @bruceha2000 😂🤣

I was already sore before I did the other stuff lol it just made it worse 😂🤣

Not to mention my hands and half my forearms are extremely red and the hands are cracked/painful. 😭 idk why. They haven’t been cracked lately. Though I did wash them a lot today.

Ron I watched Extraction - wanted to barf from the beginning to the end but, I didn't. Think you missed Id-ing HOPPER who was a buddy of Chris Hemsworth near the end. Hopper the sheriff in Stranger Things.

Please try watching something like "Warm Bodies," next time - sweet Zombie love story.

@bruceha2000, concerning the case whenever he has to take the clutch cover off to service the chain, he cleans around there but no further. As to the spark plug wire, he says no, you can remove the air cleaner cover and grasp the spark plug cap with a pair of needle nose pliers. He said to tell you that we are running a 'winter' air filter on our chain saw but you don't need to remove the air filter to do anything with the spark plug. Our's has been running like a champ. One change of the plug to date. He's running Echo 2 stroke oil and non ethanol gas. We have really noticed a big difference with the way our saws run using the non ethanol gas or the canned gas that you can get at farm supply stores. premix) the stuff is pricey but worth the money.

We have oak wilt hitting our red oak trees around here. They are mostly our old growth trees unfortunately. The biggest we lost was a split fork with each fork being over 36 inches in diameter. We also have lots of hickory and white oak but those don't nearly have the girth that he oaks have. We are thinking that we will probably get 3-4 cords out of the first tree we harvested and maybe two out of the one we dropped yesterday. Frankly we would rather harvest oak over hickory as the hickory is so hard the chain saws actually throw sparks while cutting it. And splitting the gnarly things is just a pain. But then the oak we split today had these really dense gnarls in it. The maul on the splitter kept spitting the rounds out at me.

The first tree was about 80 years old when it died of the wilt. The one we dropped yesterday 44. Same cause of death.

DH said to tell you to be careful to keep the tip of your chain away from the earth. He learned that the hard way..He's had to replace a lot of chains due to metal meeting earth.

You will need an expert for that one!

They do amazing things with ropes and climbing up into the tree
Some of us have to pee on the electric fence ourselves...repeatedly. That's me in the bucket.
Ash Tree.jpg

Back
Top Bottom