The Old Folks Home

Thinly sliced egg plant with a fine coating of flour roasted in a pan greased with olive oil, provolone cheese and parma ham. Chiabata bread. Panini press.

I could go on......

try that same thinly sliced egg plant lightly coated with egg and dusted with Parmesan cheese.... then roasted in the pan with olive oil.... Serve it up any way you want but I like it just with tomato wedges.... Low carb....

deb

Mann I just ate and I am hungry again....

Tonight for dinner since its so hot here I made Pinwheels

flat bread spread with spinach dip
Layer of roast meat like Roast beef, Turkey or ham
Layer of Thinly sliced to matoes
Layer of THinly sliced havarta cheese (mild swiss cheesy taste)
Layer of Leafy lettuce.... any type you like
Then roll the bread to make the pinwheel Sort of like making a burrito without folding the ends in.

Then wrap in foil or parchement and pop in the refrigerator to chill down before slicing.

Just before serving slice into pinwheels. Cut whole roll in half then cut each half into quarters...

Serve with fruit...

You can also switch the spinach dip out for Whipped cream cheese....

deb

Y'all are killing me with all this food talk. I just got done with my workout and and time on the treadmill trying to loose some of this weight from being so poorly for so long. lol And y'all are keeping me hungry!
lau.gif
droolin.gif
It all sounds so good, now I feel like Diva I want to eat it all!
lau.gif

Ron I have been trying to make my Buckeyes like me some so that they won't run when I get close to them. The two cockerels are ok but the pullets still run! But here is a pic of the cockerel anyway. His hens are behind him by the gate.

It's funny that you think sandwiches will make a guy happy.

My wife craves my sandwiches. Not being merkan, we use very little mayo at all. I make my sandwiches with butter.

The only sandwich I use mayo on is curried egg sandwiches.
Oh, really, now?

A classic Mr Oz sandwich is simple. Get a fresh baked French loaf. Split it down the middle and pull out excess bread. Eat the bits. Then butter bread. Ham, tomato and good quality swiss cheese. Salt and pepper. Cut into 3 Let the wife have one.

That our road trip or low cost airline sustinance.

I try and do a roast every week. I do roasted potatoes, butternut squash, sweet potatoes and big carrots as well.

The roast can be poultry, lamb beef or pork.

We serve with peas and a good dark gravy.

Get the left overs and slice the veggies layer them with the protein and some gravy and toast then in a panini grill with chiabata bread and fresh ground pepper.

Now that's a sandwich!!

Eggs scrambled after lightly sautéing baby spinnach in olive oil, then placed in a panini press with feta cheese, black pepper and sour dough bread.

Need I say more.....

Thinly sliced egg plant with a fine coating of flour roasted in a pan greased with olive oil, provolone cheese and parma ham. Chiabata bread. Panini press.

I could go on......

Meatballs made with half, pork half ground sirloin,two day old bread, parsley and egg to bind. Fried in olive oil. Then cooked in a good thick tomato based spaghetti sauce.

Left over meatballs, sauteed egg plant and provolone on a French baguette.

Maybe I am sharing too much.

Bamadude may try and steal my wife away

Egg, mayonnaise, curry powder.

Peanut butter and honey.

Skirt steak with fajita spices, Mexican ranchero cheese, roasted Anaheim chilies.

Vegemite and super crisp iceberg lettuce on buttered white bread.

Corn tortillas, ranchero cheese and roasted poblano peppers.

Tomato lettuce beets cucumber grated carrot and swiss cheese with a drizzle of oregano infused olive oil on thick white bread.

lau.gif
I think you made my point, Mate!
lau.gif

Ron I have been trying to make my Buckeyes like me some so that they won't run when I get close to them. The two cockerels are ok but the pullets still run! But here is a pic of the cockerel anyway. His hens are behind him by the gate.

They look nice!

Meal worms--drop some on the ground and step back for several days and then slowly walk up to them while they eat it. Stop if they run. After some more time and when you can get very close to them, try hand feeding the worms to them.

You can use other treats, but nearly all chickens go crazy for meal worms. It must be genetic.....

Last edited:
You can use other treats, but nearly all chickens go crazy for meal worms. It must be genetic.....

That is a true understatement. After having my DH play Godzilla and creating fraidy chicks, I told him "No" to that for this batch. Instead we got some mealworms and started handling them, getting them to eat from our hand while holding them, etc. Now they are little velociraptorian thugs that mug you when you open the brooder. I'll be glad when the coop is finished and they can be real outdoor chickens.

Today's progress:

Frame built, which required propping and rolling to get all sides completed. (This is a solo project, so ingenuity and McGyver'ing is happening)

The coop is 56" x 8' and will sit 2' off the ground.

It has been moved to its location under the trees (which involved weeding, tilling and leveling the area...this is the BEFORE shot of the coop location).

The frame has flooring joists now attached. Then I ran out of nails, so off to Lowes where I picked up flooring lumber and a sheet of vinyl flooring. This weekend the hope is to get the floor done and get the galvanized screen in the ground and pavers surrounding the coop proper. The coop run will extend out into the veggie patch between the railroad ties, which is the first sunny area in the photo above.

Who needs the gym when there's construction to be done!

edited for spelling

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom