The Old Folks Home

yinepu-- lovely snow dogs!!! How do they cope with the TX weather??

They actually do pretty well.. the standard poodle has a tougher time with the heat than the pyrs do

I hear you!! Years ago I decided I needed to manage those aches and pains, and eventually discovered what I eat really makes a difference. I smashed my wrist-- actually, a horse kicked my wrist and needed multiple surgeries to mostly fix. It took TWO years to heal. I was told I would have arthritis. If I eat right, low carb, no pain in my wrist. I can do everything again, including crawling on my hands and knees and bouncing a basketball.

PS. I have young boys! LOL

PSS Welcome to the thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do low carb too.. sugar hates me with a passion.. i feel sick every time i eat any.. so I try to avoid it like the plague

Arielle, more about the diet, please. I do know that if I go low carb, I generally feel somewhat better. I'm thinking that food from the nightshade family also causes some of the aches and pains. No way am I giving up my tomatoes.
lol.png

Thanks for the 'welcome.'

Nightshade family plants do cause more aches and pains.. but I'm like you.. i refuse to give up my tomatoes and peppers. I found out from personal experience that refined grains, corn syrup (which is in EVERYTHING... ugh) and sugar were my biggest enemies.. so I still eat the tomatoes and peppers but try to avoid the processed crap.. it's made a big difference in my aches and pains. I have degenerative disc issues plus arthritis from way too many broken bones.. 99 days out of 100 i'm fine.. just have to avoid the bad foods on that 100th day! lol

My banty and her ducklings are doing well... So cute. You can also see where one of the ducklings was attacked by my Sheriff Hen ("INTRUDERS!!!!")

I love the expression on her face.. PRICELESS!

Sourland---historically we are designed to eat a mostly meat/fish/egg diet with a few vegies on the side. Grains are a recent addition to the human diet; and refined flours became available about 120 years ago.THe modern diet is heavy on the servings of grains and carbs. THe quick and easy is, eliminate all sugars, and all grains AND reduce your carb levels to less than 100 carbs a day. If you eat mostly low starch vegies it is very easy to stay below 50 carbs a day.

I will list the link to the low carb web site where all low carb dieters are welcome. South Beach, Atkins, Protein Power, and many more. All the various low carb diet books are listed via a link on the home page upper left. Having grown up on oatmeal and captn crunch, fish sticks, etc. lc eating is a huge change. I also try to include foods from the gomes list. Like onions, berries, nuts and seeds. I like the endless recipes and the support located in the forum section. Low carb eating is a lifestyle that has greatly impacted my life for the better.

http://www.lowcarb.ca/

Wow, you kids like to gab!

DD, nice ring..you must be excited for her. Tell her that we all think that ring is beautiful!

I love the picture of the mama with the baby ducks? How did that happen..lol...I know, I know.

Someone asked about the blue, a picture. I will try and get one soon. Her coloring on her neck doesn't show up real well from a distance, but I will try and get a picture of her. I love how she carries herself..her tail up high..pretty girl.

Here is a picture for now. Holy Shmolley is what I said when I found it today. Had to get a picture of course..had to open it right away of course to see if there were two or three...try and guess before you stroll all the way down. The picture doesn't show how loong it was! I have it beside one of my leghorn's egg.

Pretty long

Double..or Triple??

Just a double. This NH that laid it has been laying for a while, I'm surprised she threw
this out..well, I'm sure it didn't come that easy.
tongue.png

Had to eat it right away..yumm!

Who was it that got that spent bullet down the shirt? Man, that had to hurt! I've shot guns a lot in the past. I've picked those things up, they are hot!
Hope you didn't burn, that would be a pretty sensitive area!!

I guessed right!!
celebrate.gif
THe girls are always trying to trick us.

What a super dark orange yolk, or yolks from that NH girl ! I've never seen color that intense. What are you feeding her? LOL

I'm noticing a trend here--seems like we have all handled guns at some point in our lives if not currently.

Sourland---historically we are designed to eat a mostly meat/fish/egg diet with a few vegies on the side. Grains are a recent addition to the human diet; and refined flours became available about 120 years ago.THe modern diet is heavy on the servings of grains and carbs. THe quick and easy is, eliminate all sugars, and all grains AND reduce your carb levels to less than 100 carbs a day. If you eat mostly low starch vegies it is very easy to stay below 50 carbs a day.

I will list the link to the low carb web site where all low carb dieters are welcome. South Beach, Atkins, Protein Power, and many more. All the various low carb diet books are listed via a link on the home page upper left. Having grown up on oatmeal and captn crunch, fish sticks, etc. lc eating is a huge change. I also try to include foods from the gomes list. Like onions, berries, nuts and seeds. I like the endless recipes and the support located in the forum section. Low carb eating is a lifestyle that has greatly impacted my life for the better.

http://www.lowcarb.ca/

Please understand, I usually try to avoid being argumentative, but I feel I can't just let this one go. This is simply not true for most of humankind. If it is true that we are closely related to apes, well, there are no mainly carnivorous apes. With a few exceptions, they are omnivores, (the few exceptions being vegetarians). Creatures evolve to fit their particular niche, and humans wandered into many different biomes with many different available food sources. They adapted to eat what was available in that particular area. Just because the Inuit historically eat a diet rich in things like whale and seal blubber doesn't mean that a person whose roots are in, say, sub-Saharan Africa could do it.

Something that low-carb advocates don't tell you, is that a lot of people simply can't live like that because their bodies weren't engineered that way. Digesting protein requires a certain amount of carbohydrate. Without it, your metabolism can get really screwed up. One of the products of only partial protein digestion is the type of ketone a breathalyzer tests for. Sometimes, you can spot people who are going low-carb simply by the fact that their breath can knock you over at 10 paces.

For those of you that this works for, I say, great! But I can tell you, it did not work for me. After my son was born, I had some real issues with yeast (among other things) and I tried to get the carbs out of my diet. I lost weight like nobodies' business in spite of eating way more food than I ever had in my life. I also had dragon breath, chronic indigestion, and no energy at all. It wasn't until I started putting the carbs back into my diet that I stopped feeling like I was wading through knee-deep water all the time. Clearly, my body requires a certain amount of carbohydrate to function. So I say, go slowly, do some research before jumping into this sort of thing whole-hog.

Back
Top Bottom