The Old Folks Home

Biscuits are easy, for the gravy, start with a roll of Jimmy Dean sausage (I prefer their sage flavor), or your favorite brand/type and fry it up into crumbles in a 4 qt pot. Often I'll pre-lube the pan with a tablespoon of bacon fat. Once it's done frying I add a couple tablespoons of flour and stir that into the sausage. Then slowly add milk and stir as it reduces. When it gets too thick, add more milk and continue... Eventually you'll get it where it's the right thickness and won't reduce further. At that point stop adding milk as you're there. I add a little more salt, some ground pepper, both to taste, then ladle over hot biscuits right out of the oven and split in half.
droolin.gif
droolin.gif
droolin.gif
Where's that too fat to walk, must roll emoji? Normally I pre-heat the oven and use the Pillsbury biscuits. I start the gravy after I pop them into the oven as that way both get done about the same time. There's just enough sausage gravy to liberally cover all 8 biscuits
big_smile.png

After all the biscuit and gravy talk, I had to have some for supper! hahhaa And Ls I make it very much like you do and there isn't a biscuit or a drop of gravy left. hahhaaa It was gooooood!
We don't eat chittlins. Dh does eat boiled peanuts and fried pork skin rinds. Not me. I don't eat either of those.
I made fried chicken for the first time in probably 15 years last month. I don't make it often but it is my favorite and I used to make it on my birthday every year.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Festivus, for the rest of us!! May your holidays be merry & bright, and your New Year a delight (well it rhymes)

Never have cared for the sage making biscuits and grave in the morning here
ditto Duluth merry chirstmas or what ever you celebrate and have great one to start the new year
wee.gif

Last edited:
Momma was a southerner. That means biscuits and gravy, grits, beans and ham hocks,corn bread with chittlins, red eye gravy and black eyed peas, fried chicken with milk gravy and mashed potatoes, fried potatoes with onions, all the good stuff.

Lordy, it's a wonder I didn't drop over from clogged arteries by the time I was 35. DH and I eat pretty healthy now. No fried foods, well, I have to admit, I do indulge in fried chicken on my birthday, but otherwise, it's colorful veggies, no high fructose, and yes, I still make biscuits and sausage gravy on occasions.
Just the way you're describing that...makes me think of the way Granny used to talk about food on the Beverley Hillbillies...lol. Especially the corn bread with chittlins.

Dare I ask...what are chittlins??

Here the regular breakfast fare (if ones hungry) would be bacon, sausage or ham with eggs, toast (white, brown or rye) and usually hash browns. Most people tend to get the bacon. I can't even remember a point in time where someone has deviated away from bacon and asked for something else. The only time I see anyone eating sausages is if they're on a buffet. Bacon is HUGE here.
All the above usually goes with coffee...and sometimes an orange juice.
I usually just have toast and coffee for breakfast. Hubby has cereal. There's no gravy here at all for breakfast. Anywhere. No gravy at all.
Unless someone's really wanting to order a breakfast poutine. Too much for me that early.

Chitlins are made from the intestine of a hog. The way I remember having them in corn bread was cut in strips and deep fried. I remember mom crumbling them to mix in with her cornbread batter.I see them from time to time in the local grocery store's meat dept. Pre fried and ready to roll.

Yeah. Mom was from southern Kentucky near the Tennessee border. She's the one who told me about eating chicken feet when she was a girl. Different world back int he early 1900's.

Dad on the other hand was Pennsylvania Duetsch. From him I learned to love Sour Kraut, sausage, Shoo Fly Pie, Cup Cheese, Sweet Lebanon Balogna, Rivvel Soup, German Potato Salad, Lebkuchen, Springerlies, German pot pie and sour cream chocolate cake. Try as I might I could never develop a taste for pickled tripe although I did eat pickled pigs feet.

I guess you could say that I was raised in a culinary diverse household.

I can remember mom watching granny on the Beverly Hillbillies and nodding in agreement when Granny went on one of her food rants.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom