The Old Folks Home

I am baking sourdough bread and pizza for tonight. I will start overnight rolls for cinnamon rolls after dinner.

Caramel Pecan cinnamon rolls are a Christmas tradition here at the Ottman house!

Dad was the son of a share cropper and as his family worked their way across the bottom of the US they farmed everythinhg from Cotton to Pigs... along with having a truck garden for their own. So he was raised on ALL the southern food to my moms credit she learned to make his favorites.

Black eyed peas or pinto beans. Though Mom could burn the same pot of pinto beans a couple of times before Dinner. Surprisingly one of the big hits was Tripe.... Cow stomach boiled all day to get it tender... Then cooled enough to handle and cut into strips. Then it was dredged in flour and corn meal and fried in Bacon grease till somewhat crunchy. We all liked it.

We had as Mustard greens too. Mom loves them but hates the work. I still make them on occasion. Salt pork fried up in the pan and removed then the greens washed about four times and chopped and tossed in. Once the greens are cooked the Salt pork is thrown in as a garnish. We only added black pepper.

Mom didnt like Collards so I never had any till a restaurant served them up. Tasty but I am sure home cooked would be better.

Dad said he had had Chitlins but I never saw them in the house and when I mentioned them to mom she looked like this
sickbyc.gif
... She makes the same face about lamb..... both Dad and I love lamb he was the one that cooked it for us the very first time. Mom said it didnt smell like she remembered but still wouldnt eat it. Dad said to me that she probably had had Mutton for her first and only time.

Now I have had pork intestines done Mexican style.... they call them Tripas... Very very good but rich... Two street taco sized ones were enough for me. When I worked for a Maquiladora on the US side there was a birthday party for one of the owners. They made Tripas per her request. Out in the parking lot they set up a huge copper cauldron and filled it with pork intestines and water and started cooking in the AM. By 2 pm they were now cooking in their own lard rendered off. one of the men was incharge with a big wodden paddle to make sure they cooked evenly. When they served them up they were just chopped and thrown into a hand sized Corn tortilla with some Pico De Gallo Celantro and a squeeze of lime..... Heaven... OMG. if you could get past the smell of the cooking pot.

for those who dont know Pico De Gallo is fresh onion tomato garlic and Serrano chills diced up and used instead of Salsa... Though some put hot sauce on as well.

deb

I lived in Los Angeles CA for almost 30 years and had biscuits with sausage gravy at Canter's in Fairfax every Sunday morning. So, maybe a southern thing but definitely one that has traveled all over the country. As for biscuits. The easy way is to just by a biscuit mix, like Bisquick, at the market and follow the directions on the box. Yes, I was born in Texas and have retired there now. So, guess I need to get busy and make a batch of biscuits for breakfast. Oh, and the whole biscuits and gravy thing has been a staple at every Denny's I have ever been in.

"Canter's in Fairfax every Sunday morning"
Looked up Fairfax, it is north of the Golden Gate bridge. LONG drive for breakfast, didn't make sense. Looked up Canters, found it ON Fairfax St in LA. Makes sense now!

Guess we never went out for breakfast since others who grew up in So. Cal had biscuits and gravy on their menus.

So the gravy is just boiled down milk with a little flour?? Talk about bland, no wonder people can't see doing biscuits and gravy without the sausage!

@perchie.girl Deb, you forgot the cilantro in the pico. No cilantro means NO GOOD!!!!! (at least to those of us that don't taste soap when they eat cilantro).

Last edited:
Of all the food mentioned...

I am drooling most over:

Shoo fly pie

Fresh pico

Biscuits and gravy!

And the gravy isn't super bland... depends on how you make it...but I like it with lots of black pepper, fat from the sausage, and sage. :drool

Back
Top Bottom