The Old Folks Home

We finished making the Chocolate Raspberry Swiss roll. My youngest DD helped decorate it. Still want Biscuits?
I have tried those rolled cakes a few times... and they always resulted in :rant and :mad: Now pies...I can bake a pie. No cursing or fuming at all! :D I make a very fine apple pie...with the bottom crust perfect, no sogginess.

I have tried those rolled cakes a few times... and they always resulted in
rant.gif
and
somad.gif

Now pies...I can bake a pie. No cursing or fuming at all!
big_smile.png
I make a very fine apple pie...with the bottom crust perfect, no sogginess.

I did this:

0.jpg

Wisher, and 'Old Folks', I wish you a very merry Christmas.

I tried to reply in the ovations box, but it wigged out on me. It was supposed to read, "Back at ya', Sourman! <3"

Quote:
So the gravy is just boiled down milk with a little flour?? Talk about bland, no wonder people can't see doing biscuits and gravy without the sausage!
No. Gravy is normally made in the pan after some meat has been cooked there (bacon, ham) or with the drippings from turkey or roast. Flour is added in and it is cooked down to a thick consistency then thinned to the desired consistency with milk. MY FAVORITE is tomato gravy! Heaven on a biscuit. It uses bacon grease with flour as the base and canned tomatoes toward the end to thin it out......YUUUUMMMMMM! It is most definitely a Southern thing, but what would you expect from a Bama girl?

I tried to reply in the ovations box, but it wigged out on me.  It was supposed to read, "Back at ya', Sourman!  <3"

Quote:
No.  Gravy is normally made in the pan after some meat has been cooked there (bacon, ham) or with the drippings from turkey or roast.  Flour is added in and it is cooked down to a thick consistency then thinned to the desired consistency with milk.  MY FAVORITE is tomato gravy!  Heaven on a biscuit.  It uses bacon grease with flour as the base and canned tomatoes toward the end to thin it out......YUUUUMMMMMM!  It is most definitely a Southern thing, but what would you expect from a Bama girl?

That sounds like a gravy even I would like! :drool

Wisher 1000! You forgot Red Eye gravy! My mom would always make it if she served ham steaks for dinner. Using the ham grease and juices left over she would brown a couple tablespoons of flour in it and add left over coffee. Simmer till thickened. Talk about an artery clogger but it was delicious.

Ronott1 that raspberry roll looks delicious but I'm so stuffed that I don't think I could force down a forkful. My Christmas dinner was geared to simplicity this year. I put my prime rib roast in the crock pot last night at 11 and turned it on slow. Got up this morning to find it right on schedule. All I had to do was peel potatoes and cook them for mashed, make gravy, cook the green beans and the crescent rolls. Pumpkin pie was baked yesterday. My time in the kitchen today? 40 minutes tops. My kind of meal preparation!

Hope everyone had a great Christmas.

Last edited:
I tried to reply in the ovations box, but it wigged out on me. It was supposed to read, "Back at ya', Sourman! <3"

Quote:
No. Gravy is normally made in the pan after some meat has been cooked there (bacon, ham) or with the drippings from turkey or roast. Flour is added in and it is cooked down to a thick consistency then thinned to the desired consistency with milk. MY FAVORITE is tomato gravy! Heaven on a biscuit. It uses bacon grease with flour as the base and canned tomatoes toward the end to thin it out......YUUUUMMMMMM! It is most definitely a Southern thing, but what would you expect from a Bama girl?

sounds great!

Back
Top Bottom