The Old Folks Home

I don't know how the weekend can fly by like this and I still don't get everything done on my Honey Do list. Was busy all weekend and got a lot of things done, but not all of it.

Hope you guys have a great rest of your weekend, I'm off to bed.

i need you to get my honey do list checked off. fancy a visit to disneyland?

sleep fast and well

Good Morning--Good News to go with,nice thunderstorm this am,it was starting to be no fun to be outside even with the cool-air.all the greenery dried up looking pretty dismal. It will be wonderful out today. Ok here's my report on the big adventure yesterday.Drove 160 miles round trip to start the chicken for goat trade Took the lady a carton of eggs so she could see what she was going to be getting and the trade was made 10 Ameracana hens(all laying) and a rooster for two Nigerian dwarf goats (a doe&a buck)
woot.gif
I"m happy. My enabler traded 5 of her Blk Copper Morans for a doe.Our herd is growing. I bought Charalott a friend so she wouldn't be lonly so will have to sell her. this week not a keeper too many teats just a meat goat. I don't want her to get bred. I'll post pictures later.We will complete the trade Sat. My Chicken numbers are really going down it will be a good thing with winter coming on. If I'd known what I know now would have taken better care of myself thank goodness for my partner in crime.She works a fulltime job has a family plus her critters and helps me out so I want to lighten her load doing for me as much as I can. I'll put Americana eggs in the incubator to start a new flock this week.

SCG and Arielle you are right about the "Mainiac" attitude. My dad was born and raised there, moved away for a few years, and then moved back to Maine but to a different town than the one he grew up in. We moved to Mass about 11 years later and he was still considered a "new comer". ;)

I thought she might have been older. I was told that the birds for eating should be abt. 16-18 wks old. Or they are tough. We have only put one rooster in freezer camp but he is still in there. There is not enough meat on him for a meal. But I may cook him and give him to the dogs! He was a rooster that jumped on me 3 times. I don't know if I want to eat him....

I cooked that little hen for 2-3 hours, slow cooked. On top of the stove slow cooked. I think game hens are just tough and stringy. I do have a pressure cooker, but haven't used it on the home grown birds yet. We are both new to growing chickens for meat. DH was rasied around them, but didn't get the practical education for cooking them. He was just a kid then.

This next batch of cockerels....4....are April 1st hatches. I was going to cull them all last week, but remembered I needed to fatten them up with scratch and low activity levels for 2 to 3 weeks first. We didn't do that with the other PR rooster we cooked. He was better then the game hen, but I forgot about fattening him up first. I guess there is something to that theory.

Hey ya'll with them game hens what we did this year to make them nice and tender is stick them in the fridge for 2 days in a bath of salty water. Takes away the rigor mortis and adds a little salt. That is why most chickens you buy in the store have a 10% salt solution added.

Back
Top Bottom