The Old Folks Home

SCG- But, how does science know that egg temps etc have no correlation to sex of the birds? We know alligators and crocodiles hatch genders that way.

I wouldn't know how to make a study on that question...but someday I hope someone does.
Crocodiles are reptiles.

There are hundreds of studies on it. Temperature does effect hatch rates of male and female chicks but it does not alter the sex of the chick which is decided, like mammals, at conception,

Lower incubation temperatures produce a higher rate of pre-hatch mortality for female chicks and higher incubation temperatures seemed to produce a higher rate of pre-hatch mortality for male chicks.

You know you've been spending too much time around the chickens when . . . .

you start hearing musical themes in your roosters' crows. Seriously. Right now, I have a rooster that crows one of the James Bond themes (Er -er EHR-herrrrrrrrrr!) and another that does the theme from Get Smart (Er er Errrrrrrrrrr EHR!)

It's senility setting in, isn't it?
hide.gif

Soooo, if I mention Beethoven's Fifth (Er er er errrrrrrrrrrr) you won't call the guys in white coats?
idunno.gif

(Though I guess I should consider your screen name when I ask that, shouldn't I?)

Mexico and Hawaii. Wish I was still up to it. :) Love it.
Never been to Hawaii. (bucket list stuff)
We've snorkeled the USVI, BVI, Puerto Rico, Jamaica, the Yucatan coast from Cancun to Chetumal including Isla Mujeres and Cozumel and even some cenotes in the Yucatan.
On the Pacific coast of Mexico at Los Arcos and the Marietas in Banderas bay and Sayulita.
Also, both the Caribbean and Pacific of Costa Rica.

I miss it. Life BC (before chickens)
Oz gets to do both - travel and chickens.

It is great reading stuff like this!

Modern feed has been formulated with the vitamins and etc. that is optimal for chicks to grow. In 1915 this stuff did not exist.

You can make feed like the above, but it requires a fairly expensive grinder to get started. Given the grain and ingredient costs, purchasing would need to be in the Tons to get the price point where it should be.

Thanks for posting! I did reply to your Australorp post. You are correct, Mana pro feeds are not for sale here. I can get a veriety of local stuff, purina and Dumar.
Agreed. Poultry nutrition research actually started around 1920.
I liked reading the article and I'm sure, at the time, that they did get showroom results. A couple red flags stood out to me. One thing was that, other than the milk, they weren't giving a complete assortment of amino acids. With an all grain diet a lot of essential AAs are lacking. Also, things like selenium, copper, vitamin K, A and D are deficient.

SCG- But, how does science know that egg temps etc have no correlation to sex of the birds? We know alligators and crocodiles hatch genders that way.

I wouldn't know how to make a study on that question...but someday I hope someone does.
With commercial hatcheries hatching millions of chicks weekly, they would know.

Crocodiles are reptiles.

There are hundreds of studies on it. Temperature does effect hatch rates of male and female chicks but it does not alter the sex of the chick which is decided, like mammals, at conception,

Lower incubation temperatures produce a higher rate of pre-hatch mortality for female chicks and higher incubation temperatures seemed to produce a higher rate of pre-hatch mortality for male chicks.
X2
And unlike mammals, the hen determines the sex of the offspring.

Last edited:
Never been to Hawaii. (bucket list stuff)
We've snorkeled the USVI, BVI, Puerto Rico, Jamaica, the Yucatan coast from Cancun to Chetumal including Isla Mujeres and Cozumel and even some cenotes in the Yucatan.
On the Pacific coast of Mexico at Los Arcos and the Marietas in Banderas bay and Sayulita.
Also, both the Caribbean and Pacific of Costa Rica.

I miss it. Life BC (before chickens)
Oz gets to do both - travel and chickens.

Agreed. Poultry nutrition research actually started around 1920.
I liked reading the article and I'm sure, at the time, that they did get showroom results. A couple red flags stood out to me. One thing was that, other than the milk, they weren't giving a complete assortment of amino acids. With an all grain diet a lot of essential AAs are lacking. Also, things like selenium, copper, vitamin K, A and D are deficient.

With commercial hatcheries hatching millions of chicks weekly, they would know.

X2
And unlike mammals, the hen determines the sex of the offspring.
IF temperature were able to determine gender you'd see it being used by hatcheries as we all know that female birds are in much higher demand than males. Such an easy manipulation would be in wide use to better skew their production to match the demand.

I hate traveling. Its the destinations I like.

I have a big travel day Saturday. Thank God for modern Pharma.

I hear that. I do without but as bad as flying used to be, it's horrible now as you well know.
I'd much rather take the train from St. Louis to KC or Chicago than fly. It takes about the same amount of time.
I used to have a lot of friends that were pilots and flight attendants. They could fly free on their days off. They rarely traveled. I said, "why don't you go anywhere?" They said, "when I work, I fly and sleep in hotels. On my days off, the last thing I want to do is fly and sleep in airports."

Hi!

I'm an empty nester who decided to make a "new" nest! I don't get to see my kids and grandkids often as they live far away (or aren't currently speaking to me :hmm)....

I literally have ants in my pants waiting for the chicks my sister in law is keeping for me and the coop that is supposed to be delivered Wednesday and the chicks coming next week! I can't sit still!

...can you tell I'm just a little excited?

Welcome! Glad you decided to join us (both in chickens and at TOFH). How many babies are you getting? What kinds?

Crocodiles are reptiles.

Yup and I still haven't been able to produce results at home for what I want. I thought I was on to something where I made more boys in the winter months (maybe slightly colder incubation since I don't adjust my incubator) and more girls in the spring and summer (presumably warmer incubation) but it doesn't always end up that way.

Soooo, if I mention Beethoven's Fifth (Er er er errrrrrrrrrrr) you won't call the guys in white coats?
idunno.gif

(Though I guess I should consider your screen name when I ask that, shouldn't I?)

As a child of two band directors, I know exactly where you're coming from. I often hear similarities in tone or rhythm on a daily basis, but not many people agree.

I hate traveling. Its the destinations I like.

I have a big travel day Saturday. Thank God for modern Pharma.

I recommend The Hangman's Daughter. It was a 99 cent book on amazon when I went to Utah, and was a very nice read for that price without a lot of cerebral interaction on my part.

You know you've been spending too much time around the chickens when . . . .

you start hearing musical themes in your roosters' crows. Seriously. Right now, I have a rooster that crows one of the James Bond themes (Er -er EHR-herrrrrrrrrr!) and another that does the theme from Get Smart (Er er Errrrrrrrrrr EHR!)

It's senility setting in, isn't it?
hide.gif

It appears so.............bless your heart.........

Back
Top Bottom