The Old Folks Home

My sister (with some help from me) wrote my dad's final article for the newspaper.

http://m.somdnews.com/article/20150...inal-farewell&template=southernMarylandMobile

Read if you wish.

Thank you.
I will not lie to you, You will miss him.
I remember daddy.
How I would dred daddy loading up the station wagon and us three girls with camping gear. My older sister had the Blue splatter wear, I had the Red and my younger sister had the yellow. Yes there was yellow. Our older brother had the green and when he was not with us mom gave his green to the youngest brother. Daddy seemed to think it was such "fun" to load us up and take us camping.

I liked it for years and then something happened. I started to NOT like it. I became miserable and I was told, by daddy, that someday I will appreciate his taking US girls camping. Yeah, right...I thought. The summer I turned 18 I flat out refused to go. Two summers before my Older sister flat out refused to go.

I remember that summer like it was yesterday. She was 18 and thought she knew it all. I was 16 and the younger was 13. It was miserable. It rained most of the time and the Hurricane off the coast threw tornadoes in the mountains all around the campsites.

Did I say I was miserable?

So, when my boys were coming along My daddy suggested I take them camping,...and their daddy was out,...Military and all. I took my boys camping by myself. Back then it was not the womens liberation that moved me to do it. I cast off those shackles of yesteryear long before womens lib. BUT those boys loved it. They pulled the same stunts on me as I did on my daddy. They behaved well like boys, just like I did, I behaved well,.. like a boy.

Well now I am in my 60's. When I look back it was not the movie house, roller skating rink or bowling alley that held my interest for fond memories. Some of my fondest memories of summers growing up were the camping trips in the mountains with daddy.

I remember Daddy. Trying to get us girls to collect DRY firewood. Shooting the small rapids with our inflatable float that we would use under our sleeping bags at night. Rolling our hair by the campfire after showers after dinner. Lighting the marshmallows into balls of fire and flicking them into the trees. During the night the smell of burnt sugar would draw all the wild critters great and small out of the woods. In the morning daddy would have a few "choice" words for us young "ladies" when he was using a trig to scape off the marahmallows and leaves with dirt caked on his shoes. The picnic table he made us rinse off as much of the dripped marshmallow before breakfast.

Oh and remember how your NOT supposed to touch the top of the tent in the rain? Really, dont touch it. Or else you will wear the rain drops alllll nightttttt longgggggg.

So I am sure you will miss your father.
And little things here and there will remind you of him. And after all these years as a retired old woman,... I remember daddy.

Last edited:
Bama I'm sure you don't plant tulips by the side of the road. What else could it be
hu.gif

The wife has done her best these 12 yrs to 'domesticate' me, she succeeded in some areas, toilet seat down, dishes in the sink, no farting at the dinner table etc. But I refuse to give up beer, she says I need to grow up? Huh, I thought I did grow up so I could drink beer? Lol!
My wife has been trying for 30 years.

Well in Boston they bumped me because the flight weighed too much (ever had to get on a scale and have all your bags weighed to get on a plane?)

Anyway, I got a call a little bit ago and they found my luggage and just brought it to me. It had everything in it.

ya.gif

No scale but when the flight was full and everyone seemed to have a lot of luggage they asked each person how much they weighed. I just told my kids to pray that everyone told the truth. Not a good time to lie about your weight. This was on Cat Island in the Bahamas. Smallest airport I've ever been in. They ended up bringing another plane from Nassau for the passengers. They put all the luggage on the first plane so it would be waiting for us there. The tiny planes, smallest commercial ones I've ever been on had a row of seats on each side. On the way there, I was in the last seat and could look behind me at all the luggage in the cargo bay and at the big gap at the bottom of the cargo door. My brother affectionately refers to planes like that as flying sewer pipes. He had to take those out of his tiny airport in SW MO when going on business trips.
Cat Island airport is one small room with a desk and a bunch of folding chairs. There's a woman sitting in the corner with a big cooler selling drinks, snacks and sandwiches.
To call the hotel, I had to go outside and walk across a big field to a post with a payphone hanging on it.

Wonderful news about the luggage.

My sister (with some help from me) wrote my dad's final article for the newspaper.

http://m.somdnews.com/article/20150...inal-farewell&template=southernMarylandMobile

Read if you wish.
Nice!!

Thank you.
I will not lie to you, You will miss him.
I remember daddy.
How I would dred daddy loading up the station wagon and us three girls with camping gear. My older sister had the Blue splatter wear, I had the Red and my younger sister had the yellow. Yes there was yellow. Our older brother had the green and when he was not with us mom gave his green to the youngest brother. Daddy seemed to think it was such "fun" to load us up and take us camping.

I liked it for years and then something happened. I started to NOT like it. I became miserable and I was told, by daddy, that someday I will appreciate his taking US girls camping. Yeah, right...I thought. The summer I turned 18 I flat out refused to go. Two summers before my Older sister flat out refused to go.

I remember that summer like it was yesterday. She was 18 and thought she knew it all. I was 16 and the younger was 13. It was miserable. It rained most of the time and the Hurricane off the coast threw tornadoes in the mountains all around the campsites.

Did I say I was miserable?

So, when my boys were coming along My daddy suggested I take them camping,...and their daddy was out,...Military and all. I took my boys camping by myself. Back then it was not the womens liberation that moved me to do it. I cast off those shackles of yesteryear long before womens lib. BUT those boys loved it. They pulled the same stunts on me as I did on my daddy. They behaved well like boys, just like I did, I behaved well,.. like a boy.

Well now I am in my 60's. When I look back it was not the movie house, roller skating rink or bowling alley that held my interest for fond memories. Some of my fondest memories of summers growing up were the camping trips in the mountains with daddy.

I remember Daddy. Trying to get us girls to collect DRY firewood. Shooting the small rapids with our inflatable float that we would use under our sleeping bags at night. Rolling our hair by the campfire after showers after dinner. Lighting the marshmallows into balls of fire and flicking them into the trees. During the night the smell of burnt sugar would draw all the wild critters great and small out of the woods. In the morning daddy would have a few "choice" words for us young "ladies" when he was using a trig to scape off the marahmallows and leaves with dirt caked on his shoes. The picnic table he made us rinse off as much of the dripped marshmallow before breakfast.

Oh and remember how your NOT supposed to touch the top of the tent in the rain? Really, dont touch it. Or else you will wear the rain drops alllll nightttttt longgggggg.

So I am sure you will miss your father.
And little things here and there will remind you of him. And after all these years as a retired old woman,... I remember daddy.
Good memories. Our mutual love of camping and canoeing was a big part of what brought my wife and I together. We camped year round with the kids from the time they were babies. Mostly good times along with a few near disasters. If you spend that much time on rivers and in the wilderness, eventually there will be dicey times.
I took my daughter on a 4 day father/daughter float when she was about 4. Every Easter weekend eventually became a 3 or 4 day camping trip - rain or shine. Once we camped along a small trickling stream called Marble Creek. It rained the whole weekend and in 3 days we had about 3 hours of sunlight. By the last morning our campsite was part of the stream with about 6 inches of water rolling through. What a mess to break camp in that.
My son and I went camping for opening day trout season (February 1st every year) when we got hit with a blizzard that closed I-44. We couldn't leave for 2 days after we had intended to go home. Rescuers came around to make sure everyone had enough food to hold out.

you mean to say your medicinal products come in different flavors now ? Oh my

Garlic flavor.

Back
Top Bottom