The Old Folks Home

Alaskan do you ever miss living in a real house, instead of an igloo? I mean where you had a regular furnace and air conditioner and stuff like that. You know where you weren't freezing because your mate and kids thrive on cold temps- inside the house.

I just mention it because here the upstairs and downstairs are about 10 degrees different. I know that is not much at all. But throughout the day I am upstairs then down and up and repeat many times. Downstairs I honestly wear a winter hat and neck gaiter and sometimes even a fleece jacket. When I come back up, I am too hot , and take them off. Weird.
When I am outside, I dress right and am not the least bothered by the cold. When I walk in the house I start shivering - even though the house is much warmer than outside in winter.

Maybe it's just because older folks can't regulate their temps. I have had my thyroid tested many times and tsh - all okay. When I went through menopause (nothing icky I promise) instead of hot flashes I would get cold ones and shiver. I told my ob-gyn and he said some women do get cold instead of hot. I think he was just humoring me.

Not ever going to live in a house with stairs... Oh wait.... I do.... but not stairs to take me to actual other floors.

those steps are getting lazered as soon as I remodel.

hide.gif
Sorry Al... wasn't pointing fingers or anything... Understand mitigating circumstances and all that... Of course the TV shows choose the "best" examples to sell advertising on the show too. Shock and awe and all that. Anyway, who wants to discuss all that nastiness today... Happy Easter all
bun.gif
. (It is Easter today, right?
hu.gif
)

Last edited:
Can you tell any difference yet? Maybe less redness?

Nothing noticeable, yet. Her feet aren't red, just swollen. She got her 3rd dose this morning and took it better than my cats do when they need medicine. I'll have to tell that to the veterinarian next time I see them.

We are going to be headed to Maine Maple Sunday today. The sugar houses are open and they'll be demonstrating the making of maple syrup with plenty of maple flavored treats available. We've been before, but we're bringing some friends who have wanted to go but never made it.

Sheep feet can get a few problems. We had clean feet on all our stock UNTIL the shearer used his uncleaned hoof trimmers and contaminated the feet with bacteria from another flock. Feet issues ever since. Tried every treatment possible. Fnally culled every animal that showed symptoms. THAT made a huge difference.Moved remaining animals to a new fresh area to walk on. Having said that, culling is not always a solution if there is only 1-2 animals. SCG, stick with it, rx might just work!!
fl.gif

As for houses, we cut our house in half when designing and pricing out windows. The windows were high quality energy efficient before anyone building houses knew what that was so prices were HIGH. Cut out the second floor completely, windows and all, turning a colonial into a cape. NO regrets......none. HUGE 5 bedroom, 2-3 car garage homes going up right and left---cant imagine cleaning it NOR heating it. ya, sometimes one person needs to hug a wall for the second person or dog to get by but no one here is complaining.....this will be our retirement home.

Happy Easter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hide.gif
Sorry Al... wasn't pointing fingers or anything... Understand mitigating circumstances and all that... Of course the TV shows choose the "best" examples to sell advertising on the show too. Shock and awe and all that. Anyway, who wants to discuss all that nastiness today... Happy Easter all
bun.gif
. (It is Easter today, right?
hu.gif
)

Happy easter ..... VBG

Sheep feet can get a few problems. We had clean feet on all our stock UNTIL the shearer used his uncleaned hoof trimmers and contaminated the feet with bacteria from another flock. Feet issues ever since. Tried every treatment possible. Fnally culled every animal that showed symptoms. THAT made a huge difference.Moved remaining animals to a new fresh area to walk on. Having said that, culling is not always a solution if there is only 1-2 animals. SCG, stick with it, rx might just work!!
fl.gif

As for houses, we cut our house in half when designing and pricing out windows. The windows were high quality energy efficient before anyone building houses knew what that was so prices were HIGH. Cut out the second floor completely, windows and all, turning a colonial into a cape. NO regrets......none. HUGE 5 bedroom, 2-3 car garage homes going up right and left---cant imagine cleaning it NOR heating it. ya, sometimes one person needs to hug a wall for the second person or dog to get by but no one here is complaining.....this will be our retirement home.

Happy Easter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yep Sheep and goats and horses and cows all get similar foot issues. There are some good treatments these days for them but you are right the land they were on was contaminated.

It was interesting I would have stayed in my mobile home for ever All one level Two beds two baths Laundry room a huge living room small dining room and a kitchen two people could work in. The layout was perfect. The age not so much and the park was an adult park.

I then moved to a single level three bed one bath house when I was expecting my son. The layout was aweful the longer we lived there the more I hated it. even though it was only slightly bigger than my mobile home it felt smaller. and it ws on a postage stamp bit of land. though i did have chickens there. Neighbors didnt care. Then got an offer I couldnt refuse on it.

Then got my house in paradise. Wanted to bull doze it and put up a modular. But the house grew on me. Its a one bedroom One bath. Two levels not floors. the main house is over a crawlspace. My bedroom and the greenhouse room are on grade. My bedroom is huge and I hope to put in a master bath and sitting area to make it a sort of studio. The three steps up to the house will be turned into four smaller terrace like steps.

deb

The type of hoof also matters. I remember we had one horse when I was growing up that had a "stripe" of light colored hoof going down one of his front hooves. That area was thinner than the dark black of the regular horse hooves you're used to, and it always used to fracture more easily than the dark hooves. Fast forward, of the 2 goats I have one has black hooves and is fine and one has lighter colored hooves and they're a mess when we go to do hooves. Pip's feet are easily trimmable and the part comes off in one big chunk. Caramel's feet are full of little chunks of cracked hooves that require digging to get them all flat.

Unfortunately Pip is the "good" behaved goat. Trying to cut Caramel's hooves is a circus show.

Back
Top Bottom