The Old Folks Home

You just scrape them out and cut them flat. Don't forget to cut the fleshy heel, too. Once you start to see pinkish, stop cutting. 
As they grow they'll curl into the foot. You'd be amazed how fast they grow. 

Arg... I need to start too... I haven't yet messed with the feet of the milk goats that we bought.

Thanks Wisher for asking and Deb for the video.

SCG, any other pointers? How often am I supposed to clean the feet? Do I pick the feet ckean like a horse? Every day? Once a week?

I have ZERO rocks, so there is no hope of them doing a self clean or trim. :(

Alaskan, we have tons of rocks (more affectionately called BOULDERS!!!) that I could send you pronto. You just have to pay the shipping charges. I'm sure neighbors would want to send you theirs also. At first everyone lined their driveway with them, then after running them over a time or two and ruining stuff under the car chassis, they dumped rocks to the back of their property.

Arg... I need to start too... I haven't yet messed with the feet of the milk goats that we bought.

Thanks Wisher for asking and Deb for the video.

SCG, any other pointers? How often am I supposed to clean the feet? Do I pick the feet ckean like a horse? Every day? Once a week?

I have ZERO rocks, so there is no hope of them doing a self clean or trim.
sad.png

I have a lot of rocks and still the feet aren't worn down.

It's a two man job. If you have a stanchion, get them in it. Have someone hold them up against the wall and go at it. I use a big cinderblock to put their front "knees" down on so I can get at the hoof easily. Back ones to between my legs like the farrier does.

Neither of my goats like the stanchion. It's easier to just have BF push them up against the fence while I attempt to trim hooves. Scrape them out and trim. Repeat.

We cut every 4 weeks or so - when we get a human haircut. In the winter, they pretty much go most of winter because it's too cold out to be out there long, and the hooves are pretty much frozen solid so it hurts my hands. We trim as soon as it gets warm.

:idunno

I haven't gotten a haircut in years... Actually, noone in this house does... Wait, I do buzz cut the boys about twice a year, maybe three times.

Anyway, :lau gotcha... I think I will watch a few more videos and then try to go at it.

Thanks for the tips.

Last edited:
Alaskan you put the notion of chocolate mint ice cream in my noggin' so I got a pint (now down to 14 oz.) at Walmart. It wasn't bad then but, it's been repeating on me ever since.

sad.png
I would have gladly done a trade for your pistachio.

Quote:
Glad your special place is waiting for you.

Happy Easter to All!

I made Chocolate Swirl Babka today:

I read SCG post on goats, then saw this goat.......ooops, sliced loaf of choc bread.

Yep the old adage:

One white foot..buy'em
Two white feet..try'em
Three white feet...look well about'em
Four white feet...live without'em

Katees feet are amazing. One inch thick wall I kid you not. and jet black. If she moves about in the sand some they get shiny on their own.

I had one trainer tell me flat out Draft horses are too heavy to go barefoot. Really? Katee has never been shod.

deb

While i'm in agreement, breed needs to be taken into account. I have a mare with 4 whites, and generations of breeding good feet. I've never had to consider quality of feet in this breed.

Quote: I'm chuckling. I never trim my horses as that takes a pro but sheep feet are easier, much easier. especially if second person holding ewe on her butt.

My first two minis had, um, issues due to bad handling; I learned to trim them because it was simpler than trying to get them to accept someone else doing it. I don't have the nerve to do my big girls; fortunately, I have found a good farrier that has helped enormously with Sunny's hoof issues.

Alaskan  you put the notion of chocolate mint ice cream in my noggin'  so I got a pint (now down to 14 oz.) at Walmart.  It wasn't bad then but, it's been repeating on me ever since.

:(   I would have gladly done a trade for your pistachio.

I would have loved to trade!!

I do not understand how the mint chip could haunt you.... :idunno it is truly the best flavor ever.

I went back to the same store, decided to make sure I got mint this time... Turns out the end of the pistachio line is LABELED mint! :barnie no wonder I picked up that horrid flavor last time.

I looked at the first four cartons that were lined up behind the mint label, all pistachio. Evil store.

Back
Top Bottom