The Old Folks Home

Sorry Wisher I have no idea where you are. If it is where they film that show, I'm not a fan either. I hope you are having a great time though!

Hey vehve good to see ya back. Your buns are cute. Love your pics as always.

We will be processing 5 buns soon. I had one pulling fur when we left Fri. For our camping trip. I have been worried she will have them on the wire while we're gone. I hope not.

Never seen it.
Me, neither. Though you could show me locations for Dawson's Creek, One Tree Hill, Sleepy Hollow, or dozens of movies that were filmed around Wilmington, and I wouldn't recognize them, either (unless it was because of traffic snarls at the time of filming).
idunno.gif

@vehve - lookin' good, dude, and nice hearing from ya!
frow.gif

Latestarter!! Yes, it's TWD!! We saw Woodbury, the Esco Feed Mill, Alexandria, it was awesome!!

Bunny, this is also where they filmed Fried Green Tomatoes, Drop Dead Diva, Steel Magnolias, and several others.

I am a huge fan and these are locations for that insanely popular television series. I realize that many of us, myself included, don't have much time or inclination to watch TV, but this one is one I watch.

Last edited:
Back in the 80's, Dino de Laurentiis started a movie studio here in Wilmington - I think Firestarter was the first movie filmed here. Wilmington embraced its new-found role as "Hollywood East," and over the years, a lot of films and TV shows were either filmed here, or the production company was based here. It's all about the bucks, though, and a lot of other places figured out that a lot of money gets spent in the course of making a hit. Governments of other states and cities began seriously courting the film industry. At the same time, the powers-that-be in Raleigh took a hard look at the actual dollars and cents that the production companies were spending here, and came to the conclusion that the various incentives that they were offering were costing them more than they were getting back in the form of taxes and other income. People argued, debated, begged, pleaded, and sported bumper stickers that read 'FILM = JOBS,' but the decision was made, and the total amount now budgeted per year wouldn't offset the cost of a film school graduation project. It's the reason that Sleepy Hollow pulled up stakes mid-season and started filming in Georgia. Ah, well, it was sorta fun while it lasted.
idunno.gif

Actually, it is a pretty good show, despite the genre... If you think back or remember the original star trek series, each and every show dealt with some sort of moral, political, social issue and the show illustrated a way to come through it. TWD actually does much the same thing... Each week there's some new issue that they have to deal with and they don't always win or get it right. Since I have a difficult time remembering specific dates and times for TV shows (they aren't THAT important to me) I go online every month or two and binge watch to get caught up.

As for the NC film company situation if indeed "the powers-that-be in Raleigh took a hard look at the actual dollars and cents that the production companies were spending here, and came to the conclusion that the various incentives that they were offering were costing them more than they were getting back in the form of taxes and other income."

When block buster movies and shows are making hundreds of millions of dollars in profits, then why would you as a tax payer want to subsidize them just to be there in your state? I mean if they are costing the state more than they are bringing in... let them cost someone else...
hu.gif
Some folks (I'll wager not that many) lost jobs, but the state lost at worst a drain on their budget, at best a revenue source they weren't able to tap into anyway...

That was the problem - if it really was that simple, the answer should also have been that simple. But there were a lot of people who insisted that the math wasn't that straightforward. Certainly, on a local level, it didn't seem that simple. Whether they hire locals or people move into the area to stand in front of or behind the cameras, they have to sleep somewhere, and eat somewhere; the props department has to buy their supplies somewhere, etc. I know, for example, that the company that did the catering for Sleepy Hollow found it so lucrative, when the production company started filming in Atlanta, they sent a crew with them for the duration of the filming. So not only did the film company spend the money for catering in Georgia, the food was bought there, the money for housing, etc, for the caterer's staff got spent there, too. I know that they say that "trickle down" economics doesn't work, but there are a lot of businesses that have been affected in various ways by this. And is it likely that the folks in Raleigh are the only ones who can really see the bottom line for what it is, and all these other officials are just deceiving themselves into believing that they are making money when they really aren't?
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom