The Old Folks Home

Hey there, Bunny!

Well Bruce, if you insist:

Garden is doing great, maters, eggplant, beans and pumpkins being the main focus this year.

A bad pic of some of the bunnies and chickens:

Hey, don't you have some work to do????

Here are some of "my" bunnies. We seem to get a new tiny one about every 3 weeks.

Your garden looks great and it seems your hoop greenhouse is performing well.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/independent/chickenpeople/

(posted to FB by BYC)

I wonder how many people in here will be seeing this. Heck, is anyone in this group IN the movie??...lol

Chicken People - Movie Trailers - iTunes
Chicken may be just food for most people, but raising the perfect chicken is an all-consuming passion for some. “Chicken People” is a documentary that takes a charming and fascinating look at the colorful and hugely competitive world of champion show chicken breeders. A real-life “Best in Show” but…
TRAILERS.APPLE.COM|BY APPLE INC.

Um, not me and I can't see myself in that world.

Quote:

1. Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog box, type netplwiz or control userpasswords2, and click/tap on OK to open advanced User Accounts.

2. If prompted by UAC, then click/tap on Yes.

3. Do step 4 or step 5 below for what you would like to do.

10347d1421178055-sign-user-account-automatically-windows-10-startup-netplwiz-1.jpg

4. To Turn Off Automatic Sign in for All Users

NOTE: This is the default setting.

A) Check the Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer box, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot belowstep 3)

Yep that certainly is obvious.

Glad I'm on a Mac. All of the recent OSX releases have been FREE.

Quote:
Electricity. It takes a lot of power to RO the salt out of sea water (and how much sea salt can you sell??). Elevation is not the problem. The biggest cities (LA, SF, SD) are all on the coast, no big lift needed. Actually San Jose is #3, it is at the south end of SF Bay with an elevation of 85 feet. Of the top 10 only Fresno and Bakersfield (now those are a change from when I was growing up) are not on the coast. The top ten account for 10 million of the 39 million in the state. And a great many of the rest of the top 100 are also on or near the coast. All the water that is flowing (and evaporating in open aqueducts) downhill to get to them can be used for the cities that aren't on the coast.

Last edited:
Since you're volunteering Finnish facts, here's a couple random (probably stupid) questions; Is the water you drink glacier water? Have you ever seen an aurora borealis? Do you have periods of all sun & no sun (& if so, how does that effect the birds?)
No Glaciers in Finland (not since 10000 years back or so). Back when all of this was covered by half a mile of ice it did press us down a lot, so in places the ground is raising over a quarter inch annually still. The drinking water supplied from Päijänne through the aforementioned tunnel is very clean though, and regularly beats eg. Evian in laboratory testing.

Northern lights are pretty frequent, and can be seen from down south were I live too, but it's a lot more spectacular up north.

In northern Lapland the longest "day" is a bit over a month (and vice versa in the winter), but down here in the south we only get to about 19 hours of light per day (and 5 hours per day around Xmas). I supplement with added light during the winter to ensure that they eat enough (5 hours of eating time isn't enough when it's -20C outside), other than that, I'd say the birds seem fine with it.

Bruce, we get those (City-bunnies as they're known as here) in our yard too. One feral bunny keeps visiting our tame ones, and it has already given them ear mites once. I should finally put together the trap I've been constructing in my head.

Last edited:
Here they are known as Eastern Cottentails
wink.png

Not much city where I live now. Closest neighbor is the guy 80m across the road. Next closest is his neighbor, 140m from us. Then our "next door" neighbor 200 m distant. I did sometimes have this same kind of bunny when I lived in the city on a lot 13.5m x 30m. I guess they were the "city bunnies"
big_smile.png

Sorry about your city bunny's donation to your rabbits!

Electricity. It takes a lot of power to RO the salt out of sea water (and how much sea salt can you sell??). Elevation is not the problem. The biggest cities (LA, SF, SD) are all on the coast, no big lift needed. Actually San Jose is #3, it is at the south end of SF Bay with an elevation of 85 feet. Of the top 10 only Fresno and Bakersfield (now those are a change from when I was growing up) are not on the coast. The top ten account for 10 million of the 39 million in the state. And a great many of the rest of the top 100 are also on or near the coast. All the water that is flowing (and evaporating in open aqueducts) downhill to get to them can be used for the cities that aren't on the coast.
Not to mention the other obvious advantage being that not (no longer) sucking dry the entire Colorado river would benefit the river, the delta region, and the ecosystem along the remainder of the dry river bed course to where it used to empty into the gulf of CA.

No Glaciers in Finland (not since 10000 years back or so). Back when all of this was covered by half a mile of ice it did press us down a lot, so in places the ground is raising over a quarter inch annually still. The drinking water supplied from Päijänne through the aforementioned tunnel is very clean though, and regularly beats eg. Evian in laboratory testing.

Northern lights are pretty frequent, and can be seen from down south were I live too, but it's a lot more spectacular up north.

In northern Lapland the longest "day" is a bit over a month (and vice versa in the winter), but down here in the south we only get to about 19 hours of light per day (and 5 hours per day around Xmas). I supplement with added light during the winter to ensure that they eat enough (5 hours of eating time isn't enough when it's -20C outside), other than that, I'd say the birds seem fine with it.

Both of you have a lot of interesting ideas & facts. I have an uncle who was an engineer way back in the day. In his free time he used to make distilled water coolers for the family & explained how simple it would be to make a personal desalinating system. He said simple... all I heard was the adult voice from the Charlie Brown cartoons "Wa wha, wa, wa wha wha wa..."

I have no idea why I thought glaciers were part of Finlands recent history. I think I'll have the kids study Finland today ... Maybe they can teach me something.

Bruce is right (even if he wasn't talking to me) I do need to get back to work.
hit.gif

Signing off for now.
-Charlene

Bruce, the population is believed to have gotten started from domestic bunnies that have gone feral. In the Helsinki city center you can actually see some other color variations from time to time, but most of those tend to be pretty short lived. The darn bunnies have spread further from the city in recent years, and have made their way here now.

@room onthebroom one more Finland fact for you: We have the highest metal band per capita concentration according to your current president ;) But yeah, have them read up on us, you might learn something interesting too.

Bruce and I (and many others in this lovely little chicken enthusiast community) have a bit of a engineering mindset, we like to think up all kinds of more or less practical gadgets and constructions. Other good sources for ideas, to name a few, are @perchie.girl and @aart , both whom also tend to get carried away planning things once they get started =)

BTW Bruce, how are those roof rails working, still staying where they should?

Yes they are Felix, though they didn't get a big workout this past winter. There are none on the roof of the original building (and I would NOT trust that roof to hold up a snow load) and slide it does. Whump, Whump, Whump. The cats (indoor) love it. Meanwhile, the roof on the reconstructed "newer" building goes Drip, Drip, Drip as the snow rails keep it from sliding and the sun warms up the metal under the snow.

Quote:
it would be simple.... its also simple to extract water from the air.... ONly thing it needs is power.

Distillation would be a smple way to extract the water out of sea water.... There is a simple distiller manufactured for third world countries that uses a reservoir for the "bad" water a dome and a collector for the distillate.... No moving parts and uses the sun for the energy source.

as far as use for the salt.... There are several salt companies here in San Diego that evaporate sea water.... YOu could bottle it and sell it off as ecofriendly sea salt.

The distiller I describe above....

http://earthtechling.com/2011/03/solar-powered-ball-purifies-dirty-water/

For what its worth I can see doing this with home assembled components on a 200 gallon scale.

deb

Back
Top Bottom