The peacock is gone!! Agggggg!

serendipity22

Songster
12 Years
Jul 1, 2007
NC
So, my friend gave me a pair of peafowl Monday night around 8pm. She just shows up out of the blue and says, "surprise, I got you some birds!"

Needless to say I was not prepared for these beautiful birds. I know nothing about peafowl and was already working my butt off because I had recently acquired some new chickens from a lady that is moving. So my quarantine stall is taken and will be so for quite some time.

I put the peacock and hen in my middle chicken pen which is enclosed with netting. And I just let them be for the first 24 hours, and they were fine.

Yesterday, it started to rain. It has not rained in my area hardly at all for months. The peafowl weren't going into the hen house and were standing in the rain getting drenched so I put a tarp up over the netting so they wouldn't get wet, cold and then sick. My plan was to move them after dark and put them in my chicken coop which is like a run-in shed for horses and is also enclosed.

I went in the house around 6 to fix dinner and such and came back outside around 8:30. Went into the peafowl pen and caught one of the birds. I thought it was the peacock and the hen was just hiding. So, I put the peacock in the chicken pen and came back to find the hen. I'm on my hands and knees feeling through the grass in the peafowl pen trying to find this hiding 'hen', only to find that there is no bird in the pen to find! At this point, I'm quite upset and angry. I've lost this gift that I wasn't prepared for anyway... Apparently, the tarp that I'd put on the enclosure to try and protect the birds had created a small gap when a puddle formed in the middle and sagged everything down.

Then as I'm looking at the peacock, I find out that it's the peahen. The peacock is nowhere in sight and we looked up every tree last night. This morning the peacock is walking on the roof of the barn and I'm looking at him trying to devise a plan that will get him back in a cage. I go back in the house to feed my son breakfast then come back outside and the bird is gone! No sign or sight of him!

So, I've caught the peahen and put her in a crate in my dog kennel, hoping that the peacock will show up and I can close the door and catch him. *My dog kennel is covered, but I have no idea where I'll put the dog!*

I am a horrible friend... But I just can't handle this stress!

Friends don't buy friends animals they''re not prepared for... Please!!
th.gif

Awwww, im so sorry...its stressfull when you get animals you are not ready for, I KNOW. We do rescue...and have had them dropped off....UGH! Luckily we have a few empty pens, and are almost ALWAYS ready. If you keep the peahen...where he can see her, eventually he will come back to her, and the food and water. Good luck, I hope you catch him, before someone or something else does.

Back
Top Bottom