The Perfect Free-Range Chicken?

Opinion?

• Total voters
Thank you for all the advice! I would like to cross, rather than getting one breed that fills the requirements. I do like to experiment a little and see how it turns out. I order from McMurray, but they don't seem to have American Gamefowl. Where/how can I get them in eastern Montana? Although Easter Eggers aren't super good egg layers or flyers, I do feel they could improve the cross because they also are a good free range bird. Are brown leghorns as hardy as white? The white sound amazing, but it seems like the brown would camouflage better. Also, I'd like to include that egg production is not a priority for me.
I've never owned the brown leghorns. I have hawk issues, but I've never lost a white leghorn yet, so I don't know I'd worry so much about that.

They say that Appenzeller Spitzhaubens make good free rangers, and being from Switzerland, they are very cold tolerant. I have 3 of those and also some brown leghorns, and maybe we'll have an interesting cross as well. Our leghorns did get frostbite on their combs this past winter, that's something to consider in the far north, and we are not in the north.
Flugel and Heidi June 4 (3 of 1).jpg

Last edited:
You also might consider a good ole mutt chicken. That hybrid vigor seems to add alot. I started with several pure breeds, tried a heritage breed which failed miserably, but since I had them in with some other breeds, I have a few mixed breeds which seem to do amazing. So you might consider that route as well. Get a few of different breeds and a really really good protective rooster and see which crosses do well.

Another thing to think about is comb type, and how it will transfer to your crosses ... pea, and rose combs in the mix can eliminate, or on some cases reduce the single comb from showing up ...

From actually experience I found frost bite on my fingers very "unpleasant" ... I would not intensionally (sp?) breed a large single combed bird in the frozen north ...

As mentioned you'll def to mix gamefowl blood into your combination homestead breed.
Nothing comes close to gamefowl if you're talking about a bird that will find most of it's food and give you eggs/chicks. Game are smart when it comes to predators, too. They can hide pretty well if you have woods on your property. I have some RIR/Game crosses that are pretty much what you're after. Light enough to fly decently when startled, heavy enough to make a decent meal, and resilient. The only thing about game which some people might not like- is they'll brood 2 times a year or more if given the chance(I love it).

As mentioned you'll def to mix gamefowl blood into your combination homestead breed.
Nothing comes close to gamefowl if you're talking about a bird that will find most of it's food and give you eggs/chicks. Game are smart when it comes to predators, too. They can hide pretty well if you have woods on your property. I have some RIR/Game crosses that are pretty much what you're after. Light enough to fly decently when startled, heavy enough to make a decent meal, and resilient. The only thing about game which some people might not like- is they'll brood 2 times a year or more if given the chance(I love it).
You hit the nail on the head. The chicken in it's wild form is a forest creature. When I talk to people that have games that have problems with them getting killed, their place is open field, grass, and not much cover. Give them cover and they can become a nuisance. Hordes of chickens descending from the forest, gobbling up everything in your path. Most of my loose birds are oriental game and American game crosses, and a few have some wyandotte mixed in. The OG will give you decent carcass size but cuts down on winter hardiness at anything above 50%.

Back
Top Bottom