The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I have to start somewhere. I researched the breeder before I purchased his birds. I received multiple high comments on the quality of his stock. These comments came from people who move extensively on SOP rings & and 3 are registered APA show judges. I also understand the benefits of only breeding the best of the flock. I am still learning how to determine which are standard and which are culls. I also don't see an issue with playing around to see what happens as it is all about learning what to do and not to do. What I have May not be perfect to standard but they will help me learn

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I have to start somewhere. I researched the breeder before I purchased his birds. I received multiple high comments on the quality of his stock. These comments came from people who move extensively on SOP rings & and 3 are registered APA show judges. I also understand the benefits of only breeding the best of the flock. I am still learning how to determine which are standard and which are culls. I also don't see an issue with playing around to see what happens as it is all about learning what to do and not to do. What I have May not be perfect to standard but they will help me learn
My apologies, we got a little exited with the blue under color of your whites and some experienced out –crossers are thinking out loud.

I would follow Fred’s advice and concentrate on the whites by putting your best male on all of your females. Basically hatch every egg you can get your hands on. This is assuming all of your females are of similar type. I don’t know where you live (climate) or the age of your pullets/hens. This could have a bearing on your egg production. Some better pictures/poses of your males/birds could help us help you.

My comments on your birds were on their potential as project birds for making Blue Rocks.

We all have the freedom to do whatever we want with our birds, but the Standard stays the same. Whether you can or should do as Ralph Sturgeon recommends and "start where you are with what you have" depends a bit on where you intend to go. I do not believe in striving for or being content with anything less than the Standard. Plymouth Rock large fowl are not a cheap project bird. Sometimes it is more than worth swallowing your pride and finding a better start. I was invited to join the conversation with respect to making Blue Rocks from your white male and a partridge female. Due to the complexity of the genetic issues, I do not see that as a wise idea or even a valuable learning experience, nor do I feel the Andalusian female pictured will help. There are now much better foundation stock available to folks who are serious about breeding Blue Plymouth Rocks to Standard.

For someone insistent on creating their own line of Blues, now that a White Rock male with at least some reputation has been identified with the blue gene, why not use him over several of the existing "Blue Rocks" promoted elsewhere on BYC to help with size, leg color, and general type? From the standpoints of feathering rate and feather width alone, I see this as a far more promising outcross than the Good Shepherd Barred Rocks that seem to be the popular cross at present. You will likely still need to contend with barring and obviously white, and still likely will be missing lacing, but my gut tells me the end result will be a far better blue bird.

Last edited:
You live and learn. I built a couple out of 2x4 and they're great little pens. Stout and safe. But I move them with a chain and my Kubota tractor' front end loader. Geeeez. I can over build anything, trust me.

Yes, this is latest one is 2x2 nominal. Actually 2x4 ripped, so it's even smaller than 2x2, but it's fine. It also is sistered with a 1x2 for linear strength and a bigger area to staple the wire on.
Now that we have a tractor, we can do pretty much anything we couldn't before. The versatility of a tractor astounds me. :D

No farmer should be without one.

Now, I'd love a backhoe for the back of it.

I need some of these outdoor pens. I just got a whole lot of lumber as my dad is tearing apart his deck. I have the resources. Just am not good at building anything sturdy. lol

Woohoo! We are very eager to see those young fellows.
ya.gif

Richard, your little terrorists are about ready to make the long trip down to Oklahoma.

You know in Canada we cannot ship live birds anywhere through the post office. You have to be a registered hatchery to do so. How silly is that?

We can ship hatching eggs country wide no problem. No NPIP certification necessary, but live birds is a no. You'd have to know someone who knows someone who does truck hauls that way and would be willing to do it for you. Thankfully I do, but can't get much further than Ontario, and it is REALLY expensive. Oh we could fly them though... again, expensive. Around $120 per box.

You live and learn. I built a couple out of 2x4 and they're great little pens. Stout and safe. But I move them with a chain and my Kubota tractor' front end loader. Geeeez. I can over build anything, trust me.

Fred - what are the dimensions of this?

I have 2 10x8x2 slides that I pull by hand with a Dolly once or twice a day -- depending on the amount of birds (they can hold up to 50 each). I'm looking to build something smaller that will be easier to move and hold maybe 10 birds max

Ok this here are some better (I think) pictures of the Rooster that threw blue

Side View

Up close to the comb --- He got some frost bite so I'm not sure how much that affected his show ability

An attempt to get a shot of his chest - He wasn't cooperating very well.

For Reference he stands about 30" tall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom