The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took a trip to MA yesterday to visit Guy Roy and brought home this cockerel:

I like his width and tail. His comb could be better and his wing may be a bit low, but the pullets I plan to put him over carry their wings a tad high. Thoughts?

I also brought home a pullet and will try to get a photo of her soon. (We're battling for daylight hours this time of year.)

You are correct. I will admit to being a bit blinded by the tail (which is something my flock lacks) and perhaps the strongest trait in his flock, even on females..nice wide tents.

My females have pretty good front ends. Is it possible they could compensate for that weakness in the male?

Last edited:
Another 6 month old pullet that I plan to use in a single mating breeding pen in a couple months. She is the same age "same hatch date" as the pullet I posted yesterday and looks pretty much identical to her. :)

Last edited:
Jill

And really all of us getting ready to set up breeding pens

We should all be careful to avoid "coop blindnesss" or getting fixated on one area or another. I try to keep in mind what Bob B used to tell me "like begets like"...

We must avoid breeding from birds with faults we are trying to overcome without a compensatory mating in place to overcome it.

We also must be very, very careful regarding sibling matings. Sometimes it can help...but in most cases can be disastrous and set you back years.

Gotta remember to hold back a few birds that through the offspring that showed improvements. Mate daughters back to uncles ( or fathers if need be) and sons back to aunts (or mothers if need be)

Plan the work and work the plan

I have decided to start line breeding this upcoming breeding season, below is the line breeding chart I will be using over the next many years. :)

Last edited:
Whenever I see one of these charts and even the toe punch charts, my mind just goes blank. It just all seems so very complicated and confusing to have that many groups and pens and precise mating strategies. I know they must work or folks wouldn't do them and it probably sets the professional apart from the amateur but I just can't ever see myself being able to sort all that out and keep track of it all and plan that far ahead, let alone have the space for all these separate groups and matings. My eyes glaze over and I have to look away from it to get back to focus.

All I keep thinking is there has to be an easier way to get good, quality birds on the land than complicated pairings between multiple groups and such. I know that's likely wrong but I'm not going to live long enough to get to that point, so I have to think less long term.

YFoR: Yep. Getting the pieces in place now.

I only had 1 breeding pair last year, and sadly lost the cock so was facing sibling mating. :( Bringing in some "cousin" birds with compensatory traits gives me 3 small breeding pens next year. And a broad enough base that I won't have to bring in anymore new stock. Very curious to see what hatches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom