The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to jump in this thread but can someone direct me on where is the best place to by pure bred barred rocks and white rocks? My son is currently selling eggs and we have hatched more layers with success. He has many locals wanting to buy chicks in spring and summer and for this we want better than regular hatchery options. Thanks!

Last edited:
Well, breeding time is very specific, of course, and single mating is still the best way to make the most progress in the shortest amount of time.

I agree. T'were me, I keep them both and use them both. You've got what is essentially a pair and a trio. That's how I'd use them. Hatch a straight batch and then cross them over. The X makes very fine birds. Very fine indeed. Just keep the offspring straight with toe punches, bands, whatever.

The rest of the time, the cockerels and/or cockbirds can busy themselves, if need be, being around whatever. Any old birds will do for that. Cockerels don't need to always be jumping females either. They can live a weeks here and a few weeks there without the females too. This gives the females needed rest and gives the male time to re-charge.
Thanks Fred, great ideas. One question about the silver gene. When breeding the Blosl silver gene cock to a XW hen will the chicks get the silver gene? Or just sometime? I'm interested in getting a few German NH. One cock to make Golden Comets with my Blosl hen. I was wondering if I could make more silver genes by mating the two Blosl over XW. Or if not, just keep them separate. I have room to build more coops. And yes, I have my toe puncher ordered.
tongue2.gif

SIL Clint used my car to store at the car dealership when he rented a big van to take the coaches of his private school (Calvary Baptist Academy) down to the dome in New Orleans for the state champsionship for football. They won. He will be getting his 7th ring for state champions. Lives and breathes football. What that means to me is......I didn't get to go after my Blosl cock.. We had to reschedule. Bigjohn is nice about waiting.

Thanks Fred, great ideas. One question about the silver gene. When breeding the Blosl silver gene cock to a XW hen will the chicks get the silver gene? Or just sometime? I'm interested in getting a few German NH. One cock to make Golden Comets with my Blosl hen. I was wondering if I could make more silver genes by mating the two Blosl over XW. Or if not, just keep them separate. I have room to build more coops. And yes, I have my toe puncher ordered.
tongue2.gif

SIL Clint used my car to store at the car dealership when he rented a big van to take the coaches of his private school (Calvary Baptist Academy) down to the dome in New Orleans for the state champsionship for football. They won. He will be getting his 7th ring for state champions. Lives and breathes football. What that means to me is......I didn't get to go after my Blosl cock.. We had to reschedule. Bigjohn is nice about waiting.

Some chicks from a silver over non-silver will get it. Not all. Just depends on how much you desire to push the silver in your birds as to whether you might add a punch code just for that.

This is just my opinion and only worth what ever weight you attach to it. I happen to like the chicks from the cross better than I liked either bird of itself, if that makes any sense to you? In short, we preferred the cross birds to either parent. But remember, not all birds that hatch and are raised will be any improvement at all. Most will be bleh and some will be worse than bleh.

Nice thing about a big old White bird is how nice they look on the table when plucked and the yellow skin all golden brown.

Got my poor, weary, worn out pullets home and up in crates to rest. Wanna go to church today (make up for missing yesterday
wink.png
)
and then get home and fix them up a nice straw pen where they can roll around and stretch and be comfy.

12-14 hours drive time, in a box down, the high stress of the show for two days, and then 14 hours in a box to get back home.

They need some rest, good food and water and lots of love for few days. Got 'em up in my shop at eye height. Make sure they didn't drag something home, plus, let's me enjoy them like this for just a few more days before it's back to a barn pen they go.

I don't have 'show girls'. I've got farm birds and farm birds they remain. The great thing among the American Class folks I met in the aisles around me? Just about the same mentality. "These are farm birds", or "These are working birds" or "I just went out to the pasture and grabbed a few to bring" was pretty common expressions among us.

These aren't 3" tall, "dancing" cage birds, with no offense intended to folks who like that sort of thing.

With so many that went to the show I was expecting a pleathera of photos last night and here it is Monday already and nodda. Where's all the eye candy? Comments from judges about your birds?

Thought I'd hear good things from Scott's birds as Columbians are still a rare variety. Anything?

The judge was Jeff Halbach and we all felt really good about that, quite honestly.

Matt Urich took Best Variety with his White Rock Hen. But wait, there more. That same hen went to take Best of Breed. That was pretty impressive for a female. But this hen was as nice a hen as I've seen in awhile, I don't care if Matt just thinks she "average. hahahaha I like her a ton.

Ken Weaver took Reserve White Rock with his pullet and we were fortunate enough to have number 2 and 3 pullets behind Ken.
Then, Ken's pullet went on to take Reserve Breed. Good, good stuff.

Everything on the Columbian row was directly bred by Scott or from Scott's stock. The Columbian row was a strong showing and second only to the White Rocks. Congrats to the Columbian breeders for a dynamic show of strength and progress. The birds have size and type and the color is coming along very nicely.

My grandson took Reserve Barred Rock with his little pullet and that made my day and put smile on my face.

The SPPR and Partridge had only one exhibitor each but were pretty examples of the varieties, but oh my goodness, the birds are tiny, I just have to say with no malice intended, just a personal observation. No Buffs at all, of course.

Jeff Halbach and his clerk going back and forth, deciding the order of the White pullets. Thought Ken and I were gonna pass out watching it and how much time it took them to decide. Then, we realized that it was mostly the heat and humidity inside the hall. Dang, it is "close" in there, as is said.

The judge was Jeff Halbach and we all felt really good about that, quite honestly.

Matt Urich took Best Variety with his White Rock Hen. But wait, there more. That same hen went to take Best of Breed. That was pretty impressive for a female. But this hen was as nice a hen as I've seen in awhile, I don't care if Matt just thinks she "average. hahahaha I like her a ton.

Ken Weaver took Reserve White Rock with his pullet and we were fortunate enough to have number 2 and 3 pullets behind Ken.
Then, Ken's pullet went on to take Reserve Breed. Good, good stuff.

Everything on the Columbian row was directly bred by Scott or from Scott's stock. The Columbian row was a strong showing and second only to the White Rocks. Congrats to the Columbian breeders for a dynamic show of strength and progress. The birds have size and type and the color is coming along very nicely.

My grandson took Reserve Barred Rock with his little pullet and that made my day and put smile on my face.

The SPPR and Partridge had only one exhibitor each but were pretty examples of the varieties, but oh my goodness, the birds are tiny, I just have to say with no malice intended, just a personal observation. No Buffs at all, of course.

Jeff Halbach and his clerk going back and forth, deciding the order of the White pullets. Thought Ken and I were gonna pass out watching it and how much time it took them to decide. Then, we realized that it was mostly the heat and humidity inside the hall. Dang, it is "close" in there, as is said.
Thanks for updating everyone Fred, and a very accurate description of the LF Rock class....Matt's bird was very nice and the feather on Ken's bird was to die for

The show was a blast.....great to put names and faces together. It was great fun to meet Fred, Elijah (Fred's grandson), Ken Weaver and to see so many others I haven't seen since Newnan last year.

The local poultry club did a SUPER job putting on this show. Well organized, plenty of space, everyone was friendly and helpful. It was amazing really to see that the whites and columbians represented 70% of the LF Rocks shown....

I'll try to get a few pix from my phone and post them here later tonight

I tried to get a photo of Terry Disney's hen that took Best Barred, but she's was busy trying to lay an egg. hahahaha. She's a hen after all. Then, she was gone from her cage as someone had purchased her.

Our prayers continue for Terry Disney as he says he is losing his battle against cancer. What a warm, loving, charming and positively wonderful guy in big old bib overalls. It makes me very sad. Cooping in beside Terry was a precious memory I'm not soon to forget.

Here's the Reserve Barred Rock striking an unceremonial pose and yes, that's E-man with the grin.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom