The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning, friends!! I don't have current pictures of my SPR, I have been saying for months now that I really do need to get out and get some pics. Here's a pic of some juvenile cockerels I'm growing out - haven't decided who will stay yet. I like to give them a minimum of 8 months before deciding, and these fellas are just over 6 months in this pics (oh, there's a black copper marans in the background). I think I've got 4 or 5 male SPR to evaluate in another month or so. I have two lines; my original, and a Canadian line. I feel quite blessed to have the two lines.
Thank you Wynette for posting the SPPR picture as the two cockerels look very nice. I am very happy to see that the Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks have acquired more followers/breeders over the last year. :)

As am I, Clayton! Having worked with this beautiful variety for many years now, I do feel fortunate to be able to continue moving them forward. We need more folks breeding this lovely bird!

Nice birds. I notice that my oldest batch of pullets are about 6 months old now, their penciling has consistently improved (the original hens are very clearly and distinctly marked) but they are not as clearly marked, especially over the saddle area as the parent hens. I assume they won't have their final adult pattern until they are older? As a long time Langshan breeder, I know the birds aren't fully developed until 2 years of age, especially the males. Would that be a safe approximation with the SPRs?

Nice birds. I notice that my oldest batch of pullets are about 6 months old now, their penciling has consistently improved (the original hens are very clearly and distinctly marked) but they are not as clearly marked, especially over the saddle area as the parent hens. I assume they won't have their final adult pattern until they are older? As a long time Langshan breeder, I know the birds aren't fully developed until 2 years of age, especially the males. Would that be a safe approximation with the SPRs?
It does take a bit longer than 6 months for the pullets' markings to be more clear, and I also note they often take til 8 or 9 months before you really know what you're going to have. It's an interesting observation about the saddle area not being as clearly marked as the parent stock; I can't say that I have noted this in my lines, but truth be told, I don't evaluate them all that closely until they are older. It shouldn't take a full two years for you to see mature weight and pattern in the SPR. I also breed Jersey Giants, and they are much like Langshan in that they grow their frames the first year, and then fill out through the 2nd.

That's encouraging, because the hens are just lovely, with good penciling throughout only diminishing into the fluff. I think also that their cushion may take a while to fully develop, just like the Langshans. I kept back one cockerel to breed the hens back to and start two lines, putting the original male on ;the pullets. I had saved 3 cockerels, all had good width, but I kept the one with the deepest keel, though I would not consider any "shallow". It's all about comparisons. Thanks for your advice, as you can tell I am new to this breed and variety.

That's encouraging, because the hens are just lovely, with good penciling throughout only diminishing into the fluff. I think also that their cushion may take a while to fully develop, just like the Langshans. I kept back one cockerel to breed the hens back to and start two lines, putting the original male on ;the pullets. I had saved 3 cockerels, all had good width, but I kept the one with the deepest keel, though I would not consider any "shallow". It's all about comparisons. Thanks for your advice, as you can tell I am new to this breed and variety.
Keep in mind that in Rocks cushions are NOT desired.....so if you are not seeing them develop, that is a good thing!

I'm chomping at the bit today. And it's not all due to the dry arctic cold that's given me severely chapped lips. Winter is simply seeming longer this year and I've still a month or more before I even think of collecting hatching eggs. Ugh!

Jealous of all you in southern states that are already or soon to be setting eggs is all. Thank you for taking the time to read my little lament.

Thanks for the advice!!! Well, guess I'm glad I'm not seeing them, then! Haha! The hens are wide over the cushion area but not poofy. I will try to get some pictures just of them. Thanks, I really appreciate the advice.

I'm chomping at the bit today. And it's not all due to the dry arctic cold that's given me severely chapped lips. Winter is simply seeming longer this year and I've still a month or more before I even think of collecting hatching eggs. Ugh!

Jealous of all you in southern states that are already or soon to be setting eggs is all. Thank you for taking the time to read my little lament.

I need to move further SOUTH this year. Not stopping me from hatching though..... going be 22/5 tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom