The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question for you genetics guys out there. I imported some silver pencilled eggs in may now about half of the males hatched are developing a very poor columbian pattern with some with red in the wings. hackles are blurry compared to true columbians. I talked to the person I imported the eggs from and he is seeing the same thing only not as high of a percentage. He has had sppr for 20 years and has never seen this before at all. To recap these are all males and some even have rose combs. My best guess is it a throw back to something a long time ago. The other question is this has left me short on the males I have to choose from would anyone use these off coloured males is the type was extraordinary. Any thoughts on this?
Rose combs don't suddenly appear out of single combed stock. Someone is not being honest with you. I would RUN AWAY from the red leakage. If the females are siblings to these males, it would be well worth culling them too, and starting next year with better stock.

I would have to agree with Joe & Fred as one of my Silver Penciled Plymouth Rock lines has had a recent outcross to the Dark Brahamas and I have not hatched any with Rose/Pea comb or a Columbian pattern males out of this line. There is definitely better SPR birds out there to start with dreamofglory. :)

Last edited:
A very nice day to sit back and watch my Silver Penciled Plymouth Rock chicks foraging around on the yard. :)

Last edited:
Rose combs don't suddenly appear out of single combed stock. Someone is not being honest with you. I would RUN AWAY from the red leakage. If the females are siblings to these males, it would be well worth culling them too, and starting next year with better stock. 
they do all look very rock in type just this colour issue now red in the sp variety is a problem with most lines. You think it's bad breeding not a throw back or hidden recessive gene that just popped out.

here is the most colourful one I have three others like this out of this hatch two with a lot less red and one that could pass for a poor coloured columbian rock

they do all look very rock in type just this colour issue now red in the sp variety is a problem with most lines. You think it's bad breeding not a throw back or hidden recessive gene that just popped out.
Single comb is recessive to rose comb, not the other way around. There is no way (without a one in a million mutation) that a rose comb bird came from single comb parents. On the red leakage, it doesn't really matter how or why that came about, you need to run away and not look back. To clean it up will likely require an outcross, in which case you may as well just work with the outcross line.

Have you asked them of there was an outcross to dark brahmas in the line?

That would be my guess

Are you seeing feather stubs on the legs/feet?
no stubs what so ever on them.

I wouldn't think the Dark Brahmas are the cause of the problems you are seeing in your birds and in my opinion if a Silver Penciled Plymouth Rock breeder was going to outcross the Dark Brahmas would be one I would use. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom