The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My one BR hen shows no interest in going broody. However, I have 3 Wyandotte hens that have each gone broody twice this year that I put BR eggs under. I'm hoping the broody-raised BRs "learn" that trait from their foster mamas.

My lil roo......i mean COCKEREL

The Good Shepherd Line and the XW line, DOES go broody, but it seems to be in certain strains. We've had serious broodiness in them. We have seen somewhat mixed results in the commitment and success of the broody females, however.

Are you seeing much broody behavior Anne?

One of the hens (the original one) has squirreled herself into a dark corner, for about three days now. Because of the droppings shelf, it's very difficult to get to her. I did crawl down to her to see if she'd turkey up like broodies do, and she did -- right after she nailed me with her beak. She packs a punch! When I get a chance I'll grab any egg(s) she may have. I may put an upside-down big old fry pan on her nesting spot to discourage brooding.

The breeder I got mine from said about 25% would go broody. I free range my flock and I have a theory that that type of lifestyle promotes broodieness. In a couple of years I will call back to the breeder and compare notes to test the theory.

Broodiness traits as far as I can tell or seen are genetic. If you want that trait to pull forward you use your broody birds. Free ranging, special diets or even putting a pile of golf balls in the nest I do not think promotes broodiness. I believe it's in an individual birds genetic disposition if they trend that way and if that's a desirable trait for your flock make sure to breed your hens that go broody.

I've got a hen for all my account is 50% Mediterranean, 25% Plymouth Rock and 25% Cornish X- meat bird. For all breed purposes this mutt is only 25% best probability of being broody. Sure enough, of two of this mongrel hens one went broody during egg collection for spring hatches. Yup, gave her eggs but needed to rearrange dynamics of coops so she walked off the nest after moving her and nest.

I guess my point was and is is that in worst conditions, a brooding pen, and worst mongrel of genetics I still had a hen go broody on me. I don't have much of her DNA in my spring hatches as what she placed in clutch was lost and she was barren due to broody for the few weeks collecting for last hatch. If I did I believe I could easily make that trait a corner stone of my future flock.

Oops! Forgot about the main point of Plymouth Rocks is they are a dual purpose production bird. Over broodiness is not a desired trait. Loss of production in eggs. My original point was is broodiness is genetic and not environmental factors. Do with yours as you wish. Mine, I was elated when a mongrel went broody but thinking back on how her loss of fertile eggs hindered chick numbers in spring hatching...well, a few broodies are great. Good dual purpose production birds should probably have one in ten or less.

Last edited:
So I finally had some white rock chicks hatch the beginning of June. Here are some pics. I have 3 cockerels in the batch and several pullers. The coop is in need of cleaning. They are moving into a tractor slide today.

Almost13 weeks. The eggs were small and so were the chicks, but they are starting to show some size now. Duckworth line. The pics are horrible, the youngsters were not cooperative and I'm still learning the iPad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom