The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matt, I just gotta tell you. That's as fine a cockerel as I've seen in awhile. Yessir.

What's he gonna weight? Looks to be Doug Akers' line, or are my glasses dirty again?

Fred, I'm not sure what he weighs... Yes, this bird belongs to Doug and I. Doug and I combined all our birds this past year. He has a house here in South Alabama in the town that I live in and all his birds are housed here during the winter. This bird was hatched on my front porch and raise here in Alabama until June. He is now in Indiana being shown by Doug. He was Champ LF and Reserve Grand Champ of Indiana State Fair Show (1800 birds) about a month ago.

Matt

Matt, it's good to hear you're partnering and helping Doug out in his transition to S. Alabama. Good job.

Still could have been my bad glasses though, so that's a relief.
smile.png

Surprise visitor tonight

Something tells me this is not going to end well. Fur and feathers everywhere.
lau.gif

We rarely see a deer at our place. In the city they're everywhere. Once saw on walking down the middle of our street in the city. More skunks and coons than you could shake a stick at too. Not that I'm complaining mind you.

I have a question about my cockerels. In this photo you can see the ridge of feathers in the middle of his back right at the saddle feathers. Is this common? Something he'll grow out of? He's 22 weeks old. Two of his hatch mates have the same trait, but not as pronounced. He's the largest of the group. I've also included a pic of one of his sisters who doesn't exhibit this trait at all.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have a question about my cockerels. In this photo you can see the ridge of feathers in the middle of his back right at the saddle feathers. Is this common? Something he'll grow out of? He's 22 weeks old. Two of his hatch mates have the same trait, but not as pronounced. He's the largest of the group. I've also included a pic of one of his sisters who doesn't exhibit this trait at all.

Thanks for the feedback.

A chicken with an hump in its back is called "Roach Back". It is a very serious skeletal fault and birds with this trait should not be bred. They should be culled and not used in a breeding program. The female appears to have a slight roach back as well and considering that a Plymouth Rock should not have a flat back any way I would say that both birds are not good examples of standard type. The female may turn out decent but I don't think the male is worth breeding.

Matt

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom