The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
She looks like a single comb yellow legged dorking.

lol.png
I'd say you're right on with that one.

The cockerel's tail set is easily twice as high as the Standard calls for and is very short bodied. Somewhat typical of hatchery stock breed type.

The females are also not White Rocks. They'd be DQ'd I'm afraid, if entered as such in a sanctioned exhibition. Getting high quality, bred to standard White Rocks isn't difficult. Now would be the time to make some arrangements with quality breeders.

I'd skip the eggs, if it were me. Spend just about the same amount of money and get 6 or 7 chicks, 5 weeks old, in a box. You'll be farther ahead in the long run. Shipped eggs are a roll of the dice and hatch rates can be horrid.

Hope you get some chicks this spring and enjoy the raising and breeding of true bred, White Plymouth Rocks. Being from Virginia, you might prefer to drive to the border and pickup your chicks. Most breeders cannot ship into Virginia.

Thank you so much for looking at them. Guess the whole lot is headed for the mutt layers as they are turning out to be good backyard birds.

I've had some very bad luck and some decent luck with hatching eggs, but you're right that it's hard to find small breeders who ship to VA. Looks like this year I'm going to focus on the Silver Penciled and go from there. White Rocks will have to wait a little while, but someday I will have some nice ones!

lol.png
I'd say you're right on with that one.

Thank you so much for looking at them. Guess the whole lot is headed for the mutt layers as they are turning out to be good backyard birds.

I've had some very bad luck and some decent luck with hatching eggs, but you're right that it's hard to find small breeders who ship to VA. Looks like this year I'm going to focus on the Silver Penciled and go from there. White Rocks will have to wait a little while, but someday I will have some nice ones!
Where are your Silver Penciled from? Any pix of them?

Where are your Silver Penciled from? Any pix of them?

I posted some photos of them a while back--they were anonymous ebay hatching eggs, apparently from DHs line. They turned out to be fairly nice birds. I'm hopefully getting some eggs from a good source this spring.

Here are some updated photos. I haven't got my toe punching in order, so they will get banded this spring before breeding starts and I'll do some thinking about breeding. As it is, they're hard for me to tell apart...

One of the cockerels (the nicer looking one). He's about to lean down and show a nearby hen a snack, hence the weird stance. Would you all say that his back is a little short? Otherwise, I really like him.

Pullet 1(?) Little white in the earlobes. Both pullets are developing cushions and have quite a bit of "leg fluff."

Pullet 2(?) An odd comb, plus the same issues with cushion and leg fluff.

Not sure which pullet this is
hmm.png
I really have to band these girls.
Also, does anyone else see Wyandotte here?

At least these guys generally look like Rocks?
tongue.png

I posted some photos of them a while back--they were anonymous ebay hatching eggs, apparently from DHs line. They turned out to be fairly nice birds. I'm hopefully getting some eggs from a good source this spring. Here are some updated photos. I haven't got my toe punching in order, so they will get banded this spring before breeding starts and I'll do some thinking about breeding. As it is, they're hard for me to tell apart... One of the cockerels (the nicer looking one). He's about to lean down and show a nearby hen a snack, hence the weird stance. Would you all say that his back is a little short? Otherwise, I really like him. Pullet 1(?) Little white in the earlobes. Both pullets are developing cushions and have quite a bit of "leg fluff." Pullet 2(?) An odd comb, plus the same issues with cushion and leg fluff. Not sure which pullet this is :/ I really have to band these girls. Also, does anyone else see Wyandotte here? At least these guys generally look like Rocks? :p
The cockerel isnt bad, but yes he is short in the back. Do not use the pullet with white earlobes. I think the last pullet could be used. Nice front end, no back but might be worth a try

Took the camera into the Rock pullet pen today. Just grabbed a few glam shots of the pullets. These females represent what I'm going to breed with come spring. I know it's the holidays and I pray the Lord's blessings upon all the good folks who post here, read here and learn here.

But I gotta say, working with these birds never gets old. I'm as excited about spring and this year's Rock breeding as I've ever been. Here's some eye candy for those who still lurk and read and wonder to themselves, "Gosh, I wonder if bred to Standard Rocks are for me?"

So, if you're still debating whether your spring chicks will be more scrubs from a hatchery or feedstore somewhere or if this is the year you enter the world of birds bred as they are intended to be bred? Put your request on your Christmas list and maybe St. Nicholas will be good to you this year. Merry Christmas everyone.

Last edited:
Well Fred, finally, finally I got my Blosl cock today. I really hate waiting, but the wait is definitely worth it. Hope to get pictures soon. He is so different from the XW cockerel I have, but although he is gorgeous he has a wide fluffy tail. But by mixing with the XW pullets, I bet I'll have spectacular birds. I am going to set all the Blosl eggs of my one pullet. Get as many as I can in the next season or two. You are correct. It is an exciting time for me also. I'm truly blessed and very happy today.
celebrate.gif

Well Fred, finally, finally I got my Blosl cock today. I really hate waiting, but the wait is definitely worth it. Hope to get pictures soon. He is so different from the XW cockerel I have, but although he is gorgeous he has a wide fluffy tail. But by mixing with the XW pullets, I bet I'll have spectacular birds. I am going to set all the Blosl eggs of my one pullet. Get as many as I can in the next season or two. You are correct. It is an exciting time for me also. I'm truly blessed and very happy today.
celebrate.gif

We enjoy the cross bird very, very much. I believe you will as well, Linda.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom