The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tumbleweed Farm, I agree w/ Fred as well as the previous poster. Only 8 hens and 3 males is just not going to work. Even if they were same age, raised together, etc. & the pecking order was well established-there would still probably be serious bickering. For 8 hens, you should have 1 or MAYBE 2 cocks, no more. Frankly, 2's probably too many & 3 or more is just asking for problems.

In answer to your question, I would move the offending barred rock. If you temporarily move the Sussex it will just happen all over again when he's reintroduced. If the barred is as exceptional as you indicate (any pics? I'm always curious about any big healthy Rock...) then just keep him separate and use him for breeding. Maybe try him w/ 3-4 hens of his own and see if he's still snippy w/ them w/o the pressure of the other roo's. You will probably also need to separate the other 2 roo's as well. Keep your favorite of the two (sounds like the Sussex) and quarantine, eat or give away the other.

You can always add more hens in the spring but it will be a while before it did anything to change the dynamics of your flock.

Regardless though, good luck and hope you have a mild and uneventful winter.

Take care, sk
welcome-byc.gif
Good post.

OK Fred, I'll give it a try. I have proper legbands and toe punches so I will keep very good records and I will only do a single mating. For the novice its very difficult to know what to do. I have the SOP and a poultry breeding book but they are limited in their usefulness when green. Looking for the local mentor.
Boy, you have that right Tumbleweed, I'm looking and planning and have two different strains of White rock. A pair of Bob Blosl and a trio of XW. Just learning enough to know what I'm doing is daunting. More breeding pens. I have a 3'x12' growout pen that I'm planning on making into 3 breeding sections with a small run each. It's a start. But I also have a 4' x 5' individual coop that can pitch hit as part of a batchelor pen. The original coop is 8' x 12' and I will be adding a separate run for it. To supplimate all this I'm getting 40 ISA Brown's to have in my new 12' x 12' coop with a separate largish run. I'm keeping them separate from the breeders. Why? Bacause I want to . No other reason.
Fred I found a judge that lives 5 minutes away from me. I need to introduce myself and see if he is willing to monitor occasionally.
FINALLY, I got a smart phone. Will be able to learn to post pictures of my Rocks. They are wretched after 5" of rain this past few days. Not looking forward to giving either cocks a bath.
lau.gif

As we speak, I'm listening to my 4th Marraduna Basque hatch out of 8 eggs. I also have 3 Lemon Cucoo Orphington to hatch. The Basques are going to be my pets. Not going to breed.

Edited to add:
After reading all the posts on best color, male or female line etc. I've decided that I'm so lucky that my passion is WHITE Rocks.
gig.gif

Last edited:
I'm from North Mississippi and I am trying desperately to find a Barred Rock rooster and hens. Not for breeding purposes. But for eggs and possibly 4H. Any ideas on a breeder in this area??????

Yay! Just found out that I will be able to steward at the Northeast Poultry Congress next Saturday. The judges are: Jeff Halbach, Jackie Koedatich, Erik Nelsen, Troy LaRoche, & Danny Padgeant. Expect to see a lot of nice birds and learn a lot from whoever they pair me up with.

Yay! Just found out that I will be able to steward at the Northeast Poultry Congress next Saturday. The judges are: [COLOR=000000]Jeff Halbach, Jackie Koedatich,[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]Erik Nelsen, Troy LaRoche, & Danny Padgeant.[/COLOR]Expect to see a lot of nice birds and learn a lot from whoever they pair me up with.
This event is in MA correct? Where is that event held? I'm not sure if I could make it there but just curious how far I am from it. Do you or anyone else know how many rocks might be shown?

Last edited:
January 17-18, at the Eastern States Expo Center in West Springfield, MA

http://www.poultrycongress.com

It's about 2.5 hours from me, so probably similar for you. Last year there was a nice showing of Rocks (mostly Whites) but also a pretty nice showing of LF in general. Worth the trip.
I just map quested it and I'm just under 2 hrs from there. Thanks.

I hope this isn't a silly question but what is it you'll be doing as a steward I'm not familiar with the term or poultry shows in general.

[Mnester, have you checked craiglist locally?

Or are you looking for Std Bred birds?]

Yes I've checked craigslist. Groups on Facebook. I just can't find any.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom