The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
For her first hatch it is a smooth ride so far 11 have hatched and 4 are alive in the egg so happy out of 16 on 1 died I think I know I originally said 19 counted incorrectly
Also I am confused all the eggs are purebred Plymouth Rockeggs so why are there white chicks could there be a chance that the barred have hatched white Plymouth rocks please help as I am curious
I am not familiar with the ancestry of the birds that produced the chicks, but more than likely, each parent carried recessive white. If that is the case, some of the barred chicks will also carry recessive white, and possibly a few will not.

For her first hatch it is a smooth ride so far 11 have hatched and 4 are alive in the egg so happy out of 16 on 1 died I think I know I originally said 19 counted incorrectly
Also I am confused all the eggs are purebred Plymouth Rockeggs so why are there white chicks could there be a chance that the barred have hatched white Plymouth rocks please help as I am curious

Recall that White Rocks are "sports" from barred rocks.....could be a similar issue here. Also, are you 100% certain of the hen's ancestry? Some hatchery/production barreds have been inter-bred with other birds including leghorns

Looking for some opinions on one of my XW cockrels. He's 21 weeks. He has good size and a nice flat wide back. The tail is coming in. Not sure about the wing or the the extra points on the comb. Are those legs the typical yellow or are they off?

I'm not the resident expert but that bird would be culled at my place...sorry to say it. His tail is pinched, his wings hang too low, his proportions are way off unless he's just standing hunched....the neck is too short compared to his body from this view, his comb points are irregularly shaped/spaced, his back seems to have a slight hump, and legs too close together.

I'd wait for Fred or someone with way more years than I at breeding to give a final analysis on your bird, but that's my first impression of him. I like the angle of his tail and his barring, though. The color of his legs can be affected by diet, so getting him out on pasture or even feeding a ration high in corn can add a deeper yellow to his legs.

I hope this is the right place to ask this question. I just want to acquire some high production, yet close to heritage appearance, BR's for my own breeding program. Not trying to show or anything, but I want strong breeding stock so that I can hatch my own BR's and BSL's perpetually.

My question is this: Will Cackle Hatchery's BR's (and RIR's) be suffice for my needs? You wouldn't recommend using standard hatchery stock I assume?

I'm not the resident expert but that bird would be culled at my place...sorry to say it. His tail is pinched, his wings hang too low, his proportions are way off unless he's just standing hunched....the neck is too short compared to his body from this view, his comb points are irregularly shaped/spaced, his back seems to have a slight hump, and legs too close together.

I pretty much agree with Bee's assessment of that male. Hopefully, you've raised a better one.

I hope this is the right place to ask this question. I just want to acquire some high production, yet close to heritage appearance, BR's for my own breeding program. Not trying to show or anything, but I want strong breeding stock so that I can hatch my own BR's and BSL's perpetually.

My question is this: Will Cackle Hatchery's BR's (and RIR's) be suffice for my needs? You wouldn't recommend using standard hatchery stock I assume?

It is entirely what you want, what you like and what you prefer to feed and have on your property. It's that simple.

The hatcherys, none of them, have true bred, standard bred Barred Rocks. I've seen 90% of them and they're not what I want, but if all you want is eggs from cuckoo colored birds, they'd be just fine. Yes, they'll breed and make you more BSL chicks.

I have 8 Barred Plymouth Rocks. 1 Cock and 7 Hens. I want to post pictures of my male but my phone isn't working right. But his hackles bar spacing I think is too thin, his hackles are mostly white... I gotta post a picture tomorrow it is really hard to get exact detail on this...

Last edited by a moderator:
here is a barred cockerel from this year. I think he will be one of my breeders. Along with this pullet

here is a barred cockerel from this year. I think he will be one of my breeders. Along with this pullet

Those are some handsome birds! I need to replace my stock because they are older and I only have like 1 out of 5 hens laying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom