The Princess Bride discussion

Which do your prefer, The Princess Bride book or movie?

• The movie!

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • The book!

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I haven't read the book yet.

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Wait, there's a book?

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • I can't choose, I love them both equally!

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Meh...

Votes: 8 14.5%

• Total voters
Pics
Saw the movie first. because of that, I had preconceived biases that made the book harder to enjoy. Buttercup as a dingbat was hard. So was overweight Humperdink and almost-a-hunchback Vizzini. It isn't BAD, it's just not the version of the story I identify with the most. The book is more about the relationship between a father and son, with bits of the story thrown in to cover gaps, where the movie is more about the story than the grandchild/grandparent relationship (though that comes through too) And, sorry, eels are better than sharks.

I'm in tech (I'm a pointy-haired boss). I deal with raving zealots from all fandoms on the regular, both within my teams, as well as with the majority of the staff in the company. TPB quotes fly thick and fast on a daily basis in our chats, meetings, etc. Disagreements often escalate to "To the Pain!" light-heartedly, and whenever a sentence begins with "where is..." The first answer is always "over the albino I think". It can be confusing for new people who haven't been clued in I suppose. One of these days I'll find a passive enough way to insert "Drop. Your. Sword." Into an email or teams meeting and my life will be complete. Might take a miracle, but I think it'll work.
What an awesome group! I would love to hear how you and blend that in! Maybe "drop your pen?" Be glad you have a fun group for that, everybody in my house just rolls their eyes when I quote TPB. :hmm
I actually like the sharks better, because they are something that exists. Also, Vizzini cutting himself to get blood to attract the sharks? That made me physically cringe. I like that.
And how he leapt at Buttercup when she was on that horse. That gave me a fright.
I don’t remember Buttercup being that idiotic, but I also read the book like December 2019 so I might not remember everything clearly.
I liked a lot of things that you could imagine existing. Rodents of unusual size? Yeah, I could see that, in the fossil record.
Holocausts and miracle pills are almost believable too. It wasn’t what you’d call “high fantasy.”
What I didn’t enjoy was all those “bridger’s notes” though. I didn’t read them for the most part.
I wish they'd kept that part when they say "if you come back now, I give you my word as a gentleman and assassin that you will die totally without pain. I assure you, you will get no such promise from the sharks."
I prefer that to "if you come back now, I promise no harm will come to you" as they said in the movie. Because they don't lie, and it is funnier.

I did find it interesting that the fighting pills only kept you alive for 24 hours. They only make brief mention of that in the movie.

My favorite part is the whole scene (in the book, but the movie's good too) with Max and Valerie, and I also really love the part about Inigo's training. My favorite character is definitely Max though. He's just so funny! Especially his MLT, wih the mutton nice and lean...

I actually had to do a speech on the book once, so I literally memorized the wedding, the fire swamp, and the end scene.

Last edited:
My favorite part is the whole scene (in the book, but the movie's good too) with Max and Valerie, and I also really love the part about Inigo's training. My favorite character is definitely Max though. He's just so funny! Especially his MLT, wih the mutton nice and lean...

I actually had to do a speech on the book once, so I literally memorized the wedding, the fire swamp, and the end scene.
That’s dedication!

Max is fun! Just make sure not to say "Humperdink" near him!

Did you memorize the book or movie? The movie is impressive, but the book must be near impossible!

Back
Top Bottom