The puppies of Craigslist

In our county you are supposed to have a permit number to breed and sell pups and that number has to be listed when you place an ad in the paper. One look in the paper shows very few of these permitted breeders and many, many backyard breeders advertising their mixed breed pups for hundreds of dollars. And of course there is no man power to follow up on all of these ad's so I don't know what good the permit process did. One weekend there were three ad's by the same guy, three different "designer" breeds, the last of which was new to me, a "Miashi"? What in heck's bell's is that supposed to be?! And no name or phone number, just an e-mail address. So infuriating.

Dumb question.
hide.gif
What does BYB mean?
hide.gif

Thanks. I could not figure it out. I have 4 dogs and they are all rescue. Found 1 at the end of our driveway. Found 2 in woods. And the last was found at the dump.

It is true about supply and demand, but even so, there are always going to be people who breed an animal because they can. One of the most disgusting things I ever had to sit through was with an aunt who told me about how she was going to go breed her female to a Maltese someone down the road had. I asked her why would she, there are thousands of homeless dogs out there, she would only be adding to the problem. She said yeah, I probably won't make any money off of them but I just want to breed her. Made me want to vomit.

While cutting out the demand would significantly reduce the supply, it wouldn't exterminate it.

Ugh. My neighbors on both sides are that kind of people. The ones to the south have had 10 puppies since we moved in and they all disappear when the "cute" wears off. They have one constant dog, a mini dobie I think, that they allow to breed to who knows what, but after the cute wears off the new puppy (she only ever has one or two) goes away like any of the others they have had.
And on the north side, the ones who thought their half Chihuahua half something x half boxer half pitt puppies would be soooo cute! I wanted to barf a little. The sad thing? People actually took the puppies (at least I think they were free, not making money off them) so I guess they'll have more.

As long as people will take the puppies, people will keep making them!!

The city "dog tax" is like $8 for altered pets and $30 for intact ones, but they don't enforce it. You only have to pay it if they pick your dog up. I've only paid once in 4 years, when the gate came unlatched. I'm not volunteering to pay if they don't make you. They never have done me any favors regarding stray or loose dogs.

I haven't read all of the replies. I look at hte puppy ads on CL b/ cI really want (sort of think we need!) a dog, but dh is against it. Anyway, there are SO MANY puppies on CL right now. BUT most of the people are giving them away or selling them at 5-6 weeks old!!! Unbelievable! I wouldn't take a dog that had been taken away from its mother before 8 weeks. We got puppies that young when I was a kid and they were always a huge pain and I've learned since then it's because there is a LOT of social skills they need to learn from their mom before 8 weeks old, that's why serious breeders do not sell dogs under 8 weeks of age! I wish more people knew that. It's so sad to know so many of these poor pups are going to be mistreated and dumped due to behavioral issues caused simply by taking them away from their moms too soon!

Back
Top Bottom