Do you think its okay to breed a crossbreed dog in this situation?

I love her name!

To me the temperament and intelligence matter far more than breed selection. Size of course can be a factor and standard schnauzers, as we call them in the US, are pretty much perfect. Not too big or too small. Both breeds are incredibly intelligent and tend to be quite trainable. The fact that you would provide them to charity for other families in need of assistance dogs speaks volumes and I would think people would welcome the opportunity.

I think the purebreds have become incredibly inbred and this has created a lot of issues that are being passed down through the generations. The fact that she’s a mix would be a huge plus in my mind. We have owned papered dogs in the past, but these days we avoid them in favor of mixed breeds for better overall health.

Good luck to you, I hope you can make this work!
Thank you! I think if one of the most difficult things will be finding a stud dog :hmm I am not sure how I will go about finding. Still awhile before I need to start worrying about that at least
I got the impression she meant giant schnauzer, the largest of the 3 schnauzers, which when crossed with a Labrador would make a large dog suitable for a service dog.

To the OP, I do not know what the max age for a first litter would be for your dog. I do know that she needs to be at least fully mature, which will be at least 2 years old, and maybe 3. I don’t think you could get hip and elbow certification before 2 years old anyway. That gives you plenty of time to find out the answers you need.
I am definitely not breeding her before 2 years old I was wondering if I could wait until she was 4-5 years old or if thats too old for her first litter
My bad, you’re correct. Still, they aren’t what I would consider giants lol.
There not giants, just giant compared to the other schnauzers I think. Thankfully they aren’t giant other wise they wouldn’t fit most places in the uk! :lau

Thank you! I think if one of the most difficult things will be finding a stud dog :hmm I am not sure how I will go about finding. Still awhile before I need to start worrying about that at least

I am definitely not breeding her before 2 years old I was wondering if I could wait until she was 4-5 years old or if thats too old for her first litter

There not giants, just giant compared to the other schnauzers I think. Thankfully they aren’t giant other wise they wouldn’t fit most places in the uk! :lau
It seems you have time since you’ll be waiting a bit to breed her. My in laws have had schnauzers for years and I love the breed, although they’re mini’s since they have to fit in their small plane for traveling.

Do you have contact with any others with assistance dogs that aren’t neutered? Perhaps you could find someone of like mind who would want to donate to a cause.

How did you find Fanta? Has she had formal training, or is that not required? What is it that she does for you? I’m just curious about the differences between here and there.

Here in the US a service dog has to perform tasks for the person related to their disability and can go anywhere with their owners. We also have emotional support animals, but they don’t share the same freedoms.

was wondering if I could wait until she was 4-5 years old or if thats too old for her first litter
Yeah, what I would do is read up as much as I could learn about the giant schnauzer breed and see if anyone mentions whether they have ever had a 4-5 year old bitch whelp for the first time. If you can find any breed specific books written by an expert breeder or judge of giant schnauzers (not just the little breed books that are vehicles for selling dog products), then those books might just touch on whether there are any whelping issues in the breed.

Since you want to breed this litter for a worthwhile reason, it would be very helpful to you if you became something of an expert in the breed. (Wouldn’t hurt to study up on labs, too, for that matter.) And the more you read up on the actual breeding and whelping process, the easier that will go when the time comes.

It seems you have time since you’ll be waiting a bit to breed her. My in laws have had schnauzers for years and I love the breed, although they’re mini’s since they have to fit in their small plane for traveling.

Do you have contact with any others with assistance dogs that aren’t neutered? Perhaps you could find someone of like mind who would want to donate to a cause.

How did you find Fanta? Has she had formal training, or is that not required? What is it that she does for you? I’m just curious about the differences between here and there.

Here in the US a service dog has to perform tasks for the person related to their disability and can go anywhere with their owners. We also have emotional support animals, but they don’t share the same freedoms.
Assistance dogs here don’t need any formal training or tests. There are charties that either train dogs and give them to people or help you train your own, sadly I could not go that route because
1. The charities needed you to be diagnosed for at least one year before you could apply. I have waited other 2 years and have finally gotten diagnosed with 1 of my issues. Even though I can’t go anywhere on my own with out help, since I was not diagnosed I couldn’t apply

2. All of them where booked up for years

so I decided to completely owner train with basically no help, not the best idea but I don’t have many options. She will be a psychiatric and mobility assistance dog. She will help me with balance, I sometimes when tired have issues balancing but most of the time she would help with stairs and steep slopes, my brain keeps telling me its a sudden drop :rolleyes:. She will also hopefully help remember things like my bag, find people, exits and the car, just plain emotional support and I found when walking my other large dog I had a lot more space, nobody crowding me! I hope the same thing happens once Fanta is larger

I found a advert on a pet rehoming site for a accident litter

Yeah, what I would do is read up as much as I could learn about the giant schnauzer breed and see if anyone mentions whether they have ever had a 4-5 year old bitch whelp for the first time. If you can find any breed specific books written by an expert breeder or judge of giant schnauzers (not just the little breed books that are vehicles for selling dog products), then those books might just touch on whether there are any whelping issues in the breed.

Since you want to breed this litter for a worthwhile reason, it would be very helpful to you if you became something of an expert in the breed. (Wouldn’t hurt to study up on labs, too, for that matter.) And the more you read up on the actual breeding and whelping process, the easier that will go when the time comes.
good idea with studying the labs as well! I didn’t think of that. So far the giant schnauzer club and one breeder I contacted hasn’t been the most helpful, I thought they would be more happy to educate somebody about their breed

Giant schnauzers come into there first heat between 8 months and 15 months and then generally every 6 months after. 5/6 years is commonly considered too old to breed medium/large dogs, some kennel clubs will not register puppies from dams over 8 or 9 years old, akc won't register pups from dams 12 and older. I know you aren't registering it's just more information to consider.​
As to why not breed her.. why would you? She's too young to have proven herself. You ideally need to wait till she's shown you she's not your average dog. Obedience trials etc.if your dog performs well in skills training then you will have no trouble finding a stud​

Assistance dogs here don’t need any formal training or tests. There are charties that either train dogs and give them to people or help you train your own, sadly I could not go that route because
1. The charities needed you to be diagnosed for at least one year before you could apply. I have waited other 2 years and have finally gotten diagnosed with 1 of my issues. Even though I can’t go anywhere on my own with out help, since I was not diagnosed I couldn’t apply

2. All of them where booked up for years

so I decided to completely owner train with basically no help, not the best idea but I don’t have many options. She will be a psychiatric and mobility assistance dog. She will help me with balance, I sometimes when tired have issues balancing but most of the time she would help with stairs and steep slopes, my brain keeps telling me its a sudden drop :rolleyes:. She will also hopefully help remember things like my bag, find people, exits and the car, just plain emotional support and I found when walking my other large dog I had a lot more space, nobody crowding me! I hope the same thing happens once Fanta is larger

I found a advert on a pet rehoming site for a accident litter

good idea with studying the labs as well! I didn’t think of that. So far the giant schnauzer club and one breeder I contacted hasn’t been the most helpful, I thought they would be more happy to educate somebody about their breed
I think that’s wonderful that you’re taking steps to help yourself. What a shame that folks wouldn’t be helpful, but I imagine you can find tons of reading online to tell you the basics really.

All I know about labs is the hunting aspect and training in that direction, but I know they’re incredibly intelligent and quite trainable. You know what you need so training for that is possibly your best option anyway.

It’s pretty awesome when we take our dogs to stores and such. They’re bullies and the male is about 80 lbs with a big fat head. Most people are afraid of him but think our female is ok because she’s smaller. The opposite is actually true, our male loves everyone and thinks humans simply exist to love him. The female is much more discerning about folks lol. I do like the wide berth we get as a result though.

You are breeding for ability, so go ahead! Remember, once upon a time, Jack Russell terriers were bred only for ability, and now they are a recognized breed. Even mutt puppies make wonderful pets, and you will easily find homes for your puppies once they are born. As a breeder, I can tell you most people who get on your list will

disappear by the time your litter arrives. Don't let that discourage you though, and know that there are plenty of good people who will find you at the right time. Honestly, most people care more about health and temperament than a registration, and good service dogs are hard to come by. Make sure daddy dog has the same qualities you are looking for and you will do fine.

Back
Top Bottom