Dog Breed suggestions??

What dog breed??

• Total voters
I did a speed read through most of this but I don't see anything about "budget." I've had people talk to me about Leonbergers for hours and then absolutely trip when I tell them how much they cost initially and thereafter.... On a positive note, I think you're a great potential puppy owner due to the fact that you're doing research and taking it seriously. Can you attend a good sized dog show in your area to interact with different breeds and talk to breeders? I think you'll find the right dog in the Working dog category, look at weight pullers. My Dad actually did alot of hunting in Alaska with Newfoundlands, he was a breeder. Not specifically recommending Newfie to you, just saying weight pullers like Newfies and Leonbergers are all around amazing dogs. Also, I can tell I agree with every single thing said by @TheDawg :thumbsup
Thanks!!

Just looked through the poll and couldn't make the choice :)
All the mentioned breeds can meet your requirements.
What about visiting rescues and spending some time with the dogs of the chosen breeds? You can find such places near you on https://petsylife.com/ You can also talk to the workers there, maybe they can help you.

I've lived in the dog world all my life and have had poultry most of my life. I've also had various breeds competing in dog sports so am very familiar with many breeds. Some of the breeds you have mentioned for example husky, i would never have with poultry. They are smart, trainable but often not biddable.
Herding dogs are great at many things but one of the dogs I have now is a golden and I am surprised at how chicken friendly she is, and protective.
She has actually learned to herd the birds and has gone after foxes and anything else that goes near "her" birds.
Different breeds could work well but I would stay away from sight hounds, some terriers and the northern breeds.
If you research what breeds were breed to do, that might give you a clue.

I've lived in the dog world all my life and have had poultry most of my life. I've also had various breeds competing in dog sports so am very familiar with many breeds. Some of the breeds you have mentioned for example husky, i would never have with poultry. They are smart, trainable but often not biddable.
Herding dogs are great at many things but one of the dogs I have now is a golden and I am surprised at how chicken friendly she is, and protective.
She has actually learned to herd the birds and has gone after foxes and anything else that goes near "her" birds.
Different breeds could work well but I would stay away from sight hounds, some terriers and the northern breeds.
If you research what breeds were breed to do, that might give you a clue.
My female golden acts like a mother to my chickens. And when she hears a cheep from the incubator she is watching waiting to snuggle with another.

I am thinking of getting a puppy - wondering what breed I should get?? If you have a suggestion other than what is on the poll - please speak up! As you probably noticed I'm looking for a large breed dog!

Here's what I'm looking for in a dog:

Plenty of grooming work to do
Friendly - okay with new people - NO biting
Plenty of energy
Able to be trained into a hunting/shed finding dog!

Okay - this an update after much talk:
I have ruled out German Shepherd, Huskie, and Dalmatian. Because of the biting temperament and way too
Labs are great water dogs great for hunting. Terriers great for hunting and beagle.

Dalmations are always distracted. They are considered one of the most difficult breeds to own.

My neighbors two big Labs used come over and play with my chickens. One would take the tail, the other the head and....

Yellow, Chocolate, and Black Labs are all the same breed. Of the above chicken killers, one was black, the other yellow.

My border collie was taught to leave the chickens alone, but he did not protect them.

Back
Top Bottom