Dog Breed suggestions??

What dog breed??

• Total voters
i have a austrailan shepard with a little bit of poodle in it i found her on the side of the road injured badly but now shes recoverd and my other dog is a pure aussi but i would recomend a uassi por a poodle mix then they dont shed and there hair is very soft or a dalmation hope this helps

I don't like them

They say there dogs will be great at anything sports, show or hunting and then have nothing about there dogs doing anything ? Unless missed it. I also can't find the dogs registered names. they only seem to have one female mountian dog and 1 lab but then are having 2 mountian dog litters close together?
A lot of reproductive vets now actually recommend having back to back litters once and then taking a break. Supposedly it’s healthier. So that alone wouldn’t be concerning to me. The rest though I agree with.

Thats the thing if you give any breed what they need they will sleep most of the day and look easy. Most gsp I have seen have need a lot of exercise and training, they did not look like easy dogs

all puppies can be mouthy, at least retrievers are bred to have a soft mouth unlike GSDs 😅

I have seen Labs doing search and rescue, truffle hunting, etc so I think they should be fine with tracking. They may not be the best but they will be probably easier to live with and gain dog experiences with. OP did say they wanted a second dog at some point so they could get a different breed once the lab is old enough, they would then have more dog experience and will know if they can handle a higher maintenance breed
German Pointers are super high energy. Definitely not for first time dog owners. Or inexperienced.
A relative has a German Wirehaired, that they hunt with. He runs their field for 3 plus hours a day. And thats at 5 years old. It took them awhile to train him, he was stubborn. But now he is a good pup. They had GSP before him.

I think there's a lot of confusion around the true origin of dog breeds in Australia, even with Kelpies and Heelers. From what I've read they were taken to Germany from Spain and then brought to Australia. The only true Aussie working dogs are Kelpies, Heelers and Smithfields (which are totally different to Heelers).
The Australian shepherd is an American created breed. The original stock used to make came from places like Spain and England, and they were often seen on boats coming from Australia, so they took on that name. The beginning of the breed goes way back to 1850, but it was not established as a breed until 1972 when the standard was written. It wasn't added to the AKC until 1991.

Kelpies and heelers have a different origin, and the German koolie came from smooth collies, and other similar breeds and was developed in Australia.

I did a speed read through most of this but I don't see anything about "budget." I've had people talk to me about Leonbergers for hours and then absolutely trip when I tell them how much they cost initially and thereafter.... On a positive note, I think you're a great potential puppy owner due to the fact that you're doing research and taking it seriously. Can you attend a good sized dog show in your area to interact with different breeds and talk to breeders? I think you'll find the right dog in the Working dog category, look at weight pullers. My Dad actually did alot of hunting in Alaska with Newfoundlands, he was a breeder. Not specifically recommending Newfie to you, just saying weight pullers like Newfies and Leonbergers are all around amazing dogs. Also, I can tell I agree with every single thing said by @TheDawg :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom