What kind of dog would be good to get?

Thanks for the tip he is a good dog and wouldn't hurt a fly we are still training him to be nice around the chickens I don't k own how him and the rooster will get along but I'm sure my dog will respect the roosters space.
I just got new chicks and I've had a flock before this ,and a rooster hopefully this next rooster will be as good as my last one.

Thanks for the tip he is a good dog and wouldn't hurt a fly we are still training him to be nice around the chickens I don't k own how him and the rooster will get along but I'm sure my dog will respect the roosters space.

Are you actually planning on having the Shar Pei out with the stock 24/7? What kind of predators do you have problems with

My highland collie never saw a chicken in her life 'til she came home with me. Her sire is a therapy dog and her dam a family pet. But she's biddable and has centuries of breeding to be trustworthy with livestock.

She looks just like Beatrix Potter's dog Kep and acts like storybook-Kep, too.
Rescue, rescue, rescue! Stupid people and their doodle this and doodle that. Its all about spending time with the dog and training the dog that the chickens are family too! Soon that dog will protect the chickens with its life no matter what the breed. But I agree with stayong away from hunting breeds.

For years I had a wonderful Golden retriever at a time when I also had chickens and homing pigeons. He was never a problem with any of them. One day my son's friend wanted to borrow him for hunting ducks. So I decided to teach him to carry a bird, using a pigeon. At first he was reluctant. No, no, I'm not supposed to bother the birds. But I told him to Take It, and he did. What a transformation! You could see in his face that he realized that this - THIS - was what he was born for! He pranced around carrying the bird for quite a while, never harming it, until I had him return it to the loft and release it. Unfortunately, when I took him hunting with the kid, he shied at the sound of the gun, made a bee line for the truck and never showed his face again for the rest of the day. But his attitude toward the domestic birds never changed. He was completely reliable with them. Hunting dogs, IMO, are like any other. They have to be desensitized to the birds through controlled proximity, and they have to be trained.

I want a new puppy. I have 6 chickens that mostly stay in their coop/run area but sometimes are let out into the yard. I was looking at Pyredoodles then Goldendoodles. I finally found some Pyredoodle puppies that were more reasonably priced than the Goldendoodles but the owner said that any dog bred with a poodle will kill chickens. That rules out lots of dogs.

I’m looking for a cuddly sweet dog but not opposed to the Pyredoodle either. The one I found would be about 50 pounds. I was told they are very much people dogs and sometimes even used for therapy dogs. I hoped it might help protect my chickens but if not, at least not kill them! I don’t want a dog so small a hawk would get it either. We want a light or non shedding dog.

We are (not too old) grandparents raising our almost 8 year old grandson.

Any suggestions or thoughts?
i wouldn’t go for a doodle because theyre mutts bred with a lable, wich most of the time results in health problems. do u want a dog around the size of a beagle? or more of a german shepherd? you can also look into terriers but most terriers are bred for hunting! our west highland terrier was a hunting dog but we showed him too, the dog never harmed our chickens!

I’ve been looking for a pup as well. We have a blue heeler currently and he has to be taken outside before the chickens are let out and after when the chickens are let inside to go to bed. If I don’t stick to this routine he will run to the coop and continuously run back and forth trying to herd them. No matter how good of a boy he is, he will never be trusted and left unattended. (He was never raised with chickens, outcome may have been different if possibly raised with chickens)

Best breed I have researched and I noticed my neighbors have the same dog for their flocks is the Great Pyrenees as well as the anotloian Shepard (probably spelled that wrong).

training is extremely and vitally important. If you do not teach right away as a puppy it will not work out for you or your flock.

Someone mentioned above rescue or adoption and this is also a great alternative.

I’ve been looking for a pup as well. We have a blue heeler currently and he has to be taken outside before the chickens are let out and after when the chickens are let inside to go to bed. If I don’t stick to this routine he will run to the coop and continuously run back and forth trying to herd them. No matter how good of a boy he is, he will never be trusted and left unattended. (He was never raised with chickens, outcome may have been different if possibly raised with chickens)

Best breed I have researched and I noticed my neighbors have the same dog for their flocks is the Great Pyrenees as well as the anotloian Shepard (probably spelled that wrong).

training is extremely and vitally important. If you do not teach right away as a puppy it will not work out for you or your flock.

Someone mentioned above rescue or adoption and this is also a great alternative.

Great suggestions, and don't worry about the spelling (i make TONS of spelling mistakes myself), it's Anatolian Shepherd. A Pyr might be a slightly better option for a first LGD. As for your guy, I don't think it would make much of a difference, he's bred to herd, and thus it's ingrained in him no matter where he was raised

Back
Top Bottom