This was a fully wooden frame that I've only had for about six years, I think? One of the long rails on the side just randomly snapped right down the middle! It was a pretty jarring wake-up call, lol.
I can imagine that! - My bed broke in the middle of the night when i was in my deep-sleep phase. I believed in an earthquake or a landslide at first. 😲

I think you just have weird ducks, Hillbilly. They want to look like jet fighters.

Yeah, they came with the scale mites. Tomorrow, we grab all of them, even those without symptoms, and vaseline the heck out of them.

That Cochin cockerel is the sweetest thing, yes. I've been teaching him how to 'Step Up' on my hand, like I would do with my lovebirds.
I think at the moment they look more like dragsters. Those feather grow straight up and look like the exhaust-pipes of a top-fuel dragster.
And as said they are running circles around me! Dazzeling!

Last edited:
I hear you. It's getting hard to come up for names for all of them, and the rabbits.

My daughter and I picked the same name: her for a chicken, me for a duck. Guess which one got the name? >.>
Both of them!

I come up with names for the ducks out of the blue. Pinball got her name two years ago when she had ducklings and was running around in the duck yard quacking crazy and bumping into everybody, just like the pinball…
On the other hand it really stings when you loose one of these guys. Lost four of my really loved ducks this year and vowed never to name a duck again…

Both of them!

I come up with names for the ducks out of the blue. Pinball got her name two years ago when she had ducklings and was running around in the duck yard quacking crazy and bumping into everybody, just like the pinball…
On the other hand it really stings when you loose one of these guys. Lost four of my really loved ducks this year and vowed never to name a duck again…
That's my big worry.

Our chickens are largely nameless, we've got 32 of the crazy things, and I know with that many we will have a tragedy or two or five.

The named ones are weird chickens like our bantam EE (Napoleon Chickenpart, because she's tiny and full of attitude)

But the ducks weren't part of the egg plan, and they're more or less just pets. I'm not that fond of duck meat, and I have no idea if I like duck eggs yet. They've all been named by the kids. 😬

Not looking forward to any of those tragedies at all.

Both of them!

You know, I'm going to do that. Opal Duck and Opal Chicken.

Yeah, our Magpie were all named by my daughter and grandson. We lost two out of the three. That really hurt them. Also lost two of the three Cayuga. We think they just found a place to nest, and predators got them. I wasn't as attached to any of the ducks, not even the Muscovy, at that point. Except Sweetie, because she is my sweetie.

Now though, there are certain ones that I am really attached to. I've named them to make keeping breeding records easier. Better than writing down Black Pied Hen with Weird Pattern as opposed to Dainty. :D

@Unwittingchickenlady I've always loved duck meat, but if it's the greasiness that gets to you, try Muscovy. And duk eggs are really good. The yolk is extra creamy, and amazing in baking! I'm making myself some pancakes tonight using some.

You know, I'm going to do that. Opal Duck and Opal Chicken.

Yeah, our Magpie were all named by my daughter and grandson. We lost two out of the three. That really hurt them. Also lost two of the three Cayuga. We think they just found a place to nest, and predators got them. I wasn't as attached to any of the ducks, not even the Muscovy, at that point. Except Sweetie, because she is my sweetie.

Now though, there are certain ones that I am really attached to. I've named them to make keeping breeding records easier. Better than writing down Black Pied Hen with Weird Pattern as opposed to Dainty. :D

@Unwittingchickenlady I've always loved duck meat, but if it's the greasiness that gets to you, try Muscovy. And duk eggs are really good. The yolk is extra creamy, and amazing in baking! I'm making myself some pancakes tonight using some.
Yes!

Really looking forward to duck eggs, I'm a pretty avid baker and everyone sings their praises, I've just heard the flavor is off-putting for some when eaten as eggs.

Time will soon tell.

I should probably give duck another go again at some point, only ever had it as pekin duck (the dish), and was just generally unimpressed.

Hahaha.. already want to add some muskovys, a couple appleyards and some anconas, ooo and a welshy or two. Nothing till next season though. 😆

Yes!

Really looking forward to duck eggs, I'm a pretty avid baker and everyone sings their praises, I've just heard the flavor is off-putting for some when eaten as eggs.

Time will soon tell.

I should probably give duck another go again at some point, only ever had it as pekin duck (the dish), and was just generally unimpressed.

Hahaha.. already want to add some muskovys, a couple appleyards and some anconas, ooo and a welshy or two. Nothing till next season though. 😆
Ducks are addictive, yes! :D And although I like Peking Duck, I know a lot of people are put off by it. Me, give me crispy duck skin any day!

Warning: Once you go Muscovy, you never go back. LOL!

Back
Top Bottom