Not sure if you can see these in my profile but i got some warning points earlier this year for being naughty…
Too many points and your license is either suspended or revoked.
Thanks, I never knew there was such a thing. I appreciate the insight. I don't have the energy to argue or be nasty on here as I have my hands full enough all day with the kids on my bus, lol.

My friend these are duxlings - not CPUs! 🤣
Those 28 days is just an average and some duxlings are in a hurry while some other's are relaxed.
Yes, what you're saying describes well what we now believe to be the core of the problem. We were just first time duck parents and had no idea what kind of realistic range of parameters to expect / provide, so we went by the book and lost at least 8 ducklings because of it.

Just now we've decided to open one of the 8 nothing-going-on eggs and, as we suspected, found a fully developed duckling inside a very dry membrane - despite having started high humidity in the incubator a day before the instructions said so, ie. Day 25 instead of Day 26. We should have done it even earlier.

Basically we had a Jack Sparrow episode ("the rules are... more like guidelines"). It was not a happy moment to see the developed but dead ducklings. But we can do better in the next round. We're ready for a new batch starting tomorrow.

The two rascals that did make it are growing and crapping heroically. Yes I did read everywhere that ducklings are messy but duuuude. We are handling it though. So far we've used puppy pads, tomorrow when the wind is supposed to ease we're planning a sports day in nature (nice clover area, 4 x 4 x 1 ft playing pen, 3/4 covered), we'll check how their legs have improved and then we'll probably switch them to straw. We've just brought in one m3 of nice barley straw.

How do you handle humidity in the final stage (before hatching) to ensure the shells will be easy enough to break through and the membrane does not dry out? At what day do you usually start increasing humidity to cover the widest range of situations, and to what degree?

Last edited:
Selling plants yesterday was a great success!
I arrived way too late to the "wild" flee market, did not got a good spot and had to park halfway on the country-road and had no space to set up the camping-table, so i left after just one hour, but …

I sold out within less than ten minutes and left a lot of sad people behind asking if i really, really, … really(!) have no more plants. 😲

Sold tomatoes, a few peppers, cucumbers, zucchini, butternut, acorn- and buttercup squashes, even three small Rhubarb plants. I was told that the plants were looking so healthy and fresh, much better than the (larger) stuff being sold in the big stores. - I blamed the dux-gold for that. The dux earned three months of cat-food within these ten minutes. 👍🏻👍🏻

Everybody i spoke with told me to come back next spring with more plants, even got offers to help me with setting up a green-house. The prices i was asking ($2 for a pot, $4 for a tray with six plants) were called very reasonable and folks started ranting about what they'd paid at stores and even at the official market in Charleston.

Definitely a business opportunity i will explore! The patio needs some upgrades this year, better insulation and more lights.

That's great! A happy day for everybody.

Is it not early yet for cucumbers and squashes? What are the temperatures like for you? We've just pulled out of a cold week (after several unusually hot ones). I've spent the day turning things around in the greenhouse to make room for tomato and cucumber plants. Had to move several fully grown lettuce plants (of the variety where individual leaves are harvested), if they don't take root the ducks can have them. Well, they can have some in either case.

Last edited:
Yes, what you're saying describes well what we now believe to be the core of the problem. We were just first time duck parents and had no idea what kind of realistic range of parameters to expect / provide, so we went by the book and lost at least 8 ducklings because of it.

Just now we've decided to open one of the 8 nothing-going-on eggs and, as we suspected, found a fully developed duckling inside a very dry membrane - despite having started high humidity in the incubator a day before the instructions said so, ie. Day 25 instead of Day 26. We should have done it even earlier.

Basically we had a Jack Sparrow episode ("the rules are... more like guidelines"). It was not a happy moment to see the developed but dead ducklings. But we can do better in the next round. We're ready for a new batch starting tomorrow.

The two rascals that did make it are growing and crapping heroically. Yes I did read everywhere that ducklings are messy but duuuude. We are handling it though. So far we've used puppy pads, tomorrow when the wind is supposed to ease we're planning a sports day in nature (nice clover area, 4 x 4 x 1 ft playing pen, 3/4 covered), we'll check how their legs have improved and then we'll probably switch them to straw. We've just brought in one m3 of nice barley straw.

How do you handle humidity in the final stage (before hatching) to ensure the shells will be easy enough to break through and the membrane does not dry out? At what day do you usually start increasing humidity to cover the widest range of situations, and to what degree?
I'm sorry it went so badly, but I'm glad you're giving it another shot! My first duck egg hatching experience was also a complete disaster, worse than yours believe it or not. But I've learned.

Left over goslings. That is so sad I hope someone falls in love and takes them home.
Leftover goslings there is no such thing leftover goslings that is an oxymoron for sure! What the sign says is.. run run run. There’s only a few left of these amazing fantastic Fabulous spectacular wonderful GOSLINGS!! You don’t want to miss out!! run run run! if you snooze you lose

I am trying to make a video of broody Trudy goose running around the yard like a crazy person on her eight minute and 53 second off the nest sprees, but Charlie hates me to follow them with the camera. she is now day 20…
oh, and I can’t believe I missed filming it when she suddenly realized she had to go back started running and then flew over two fences in a row to get back to her eggies. (I guess she figured she didn’t have time to walk through the open gates.)

Back
Top Bottom