I would love to, but i cannot. Seriously! The duck house is already a tad too small and there's four seriously broody hens, sitting on i can only guess 20+ eggs again. I am already measuring a spot for a new, larger duck-house with a new, larger duck-run with the entrance away from the weather side, but wood is so madly expensive. 😭
Time to get those girls spayed! ;) :lau

I would love to, but i cannot. Seriously! The duck house is already a tad too small and there's four seriously broody hens, sitting on i can only guess 20+ eggs again. I am already measuring a spot for a new, larger duck-house with a new, larger duck-run with the entrance away from the weather side, but wood is so madly expensive. 😭
I had a bus driver friend that used skids and made a huge chicken coop and a very large duck coop. When I saw a picture of them and I could not believe how huge and beautiful they were. She even got the skids for free so she basically built free coops.

I had a bus driver friend that used skids and made a huge chicken coop and a very large duck coop. When I saw a picture of them and I could not believe how huge and beautiful they were. She even got the skids for free so she basically built free coops.
She built that on flat land, did she? - The house structure is not the expensive part: I have to build the new house on a platform into or better over the hill-site. That platform must be stable enough for me to walk on. And it must be constructed to withstand the elements and the "duck juices" that will leak through even a foot of straw.
The foundation alone will make the Benjamin's cry, i need to buy a bunch of these:
1716302000282.png

Or a couple more of these:
1716302124674.png

to anchor the posts in the ground. Or dig post holes and pour concrete. Add the posts, the treated lumber for the joists, some hardware and the decking (either treated wood or recycled plastic) and that platform alone is way over a grand…
The house itself is cheap: Reclaimed wood, OSB sheating and some roof panels. Maybe some windows from the ReStore.
Almost everything here has to go on stilts. 😟
That is what i liked so much in Ohio: People had palaces for their poultry, their cats and dogs plus a beautiful pond all on nice walking friendly flat Land. - And pole barns! Love pole barns!

She built that on flat land, did she? - The house structure is not the expensive part: I have to build the new house on a platform into or better over the hill-site. That platform must be stable enough for me to walk on. And it must be constructed to withstand the elements and the "duck juices" that will leak through even a foot of straw.
The foundation alone will make the Benjamin's cry, i need to buy a bunch of these:
View attachment 3839236
Or a couple more of these:
View attachment 3839241
to anchor the posts in the ground. Or dig post holes and pour concrete. Add the posts, the treated lumber for the joists, some hardware and the decking (either treated wood or recycled plastic) and that platform alone is way over a grand…
The house itself is cheap: Reclaimed wood, OSB sheating and some roof panels. Maybe some windows from the ReStore.
Almost everything here has to go on stilts. 😟
That is what i liked so much in Ohio: People had palaces for their poultry, their cats and dogs plus a beautiful pond all on nice walking friendly flat Land. - And pole barns! Love pole barns!
Yes her acres were all flat land so she was blessed. It would be hard to build something if you lived on a hill or a ridge. I can surely see your dilemma. I guess you and I should both rethink Geese.

Yes her acres were all flat land so she was blessed. It would be hard to build something if you lived on a hill or a ridge. I can surely see your dilemma. I guess you and I should both rethink Geese.
Its all about time! Time can heal all wounds and with enough time even small amounts of money become large amounts of money.
I promised the dux that i will build them a new house next year if the nursery-plant sales is a success. Until then we all have to focus on what we can to make our place better: The dux must continue to lay eggs and fertilize the wood-chips in their run, so that we can buy dux-pellets and produce compost and i must improve the floor and the windows of the patio so that we have a real green-house next winter and can grow even more plants to be sold.
Then we can build a new dux-house together and retro-fit the old dux-house for some chickens. The Geese would join the dux in their new palace.

That's what i am fighting against in all of my beds that have not received the grass-clipping treatment:
full

Weeds overgrowing the Potato plants​

The weeds, especially that bamboo-looking grass is overtaking the potato plants. The tiller won't fit in between the rows, so i must rip that stuff out by hand. Started to cover the bald spots with grass-clippings yesterday evening, but ran out of clippings and daylight.
My Mother in law used to use newspapers between her rows and my Son is using cardboard! He wants to go full force against those weeds, lol.

That's what i am fighting against in all of my beds that have not received the grass-clipping treatment:
full

Weeds overgrowing the Potato plants​

The weeds, especially that bamboo-looking grass is overtaking the potato plants. The tiller won't fit in between the rows, so i must rip that stuff out by hand. Started to cover the bald spots with grass-clippings yesterday evening, but ran out of clippings and daylight.
i am doing experiment with my purple potato patch this year i am allowing the weeds to do the hilling for me….
48215084-3114-4085-8789-410791480999.jpeg
this is front of house around crow feeder barrel where i dumped dozens of bags of used goose and duck bedding in a circle, and then added compost and planted potatoes last year they came out awesome this year the weeds marched in - experiment has begun

I put these six duck eggs from these two beautiful ladies under my broody hen today. they are my new friends from a flock that was fox attacked and they survived- they had a Drake with them up until six days ago. Which three eggs do you think are from which duck? View attachment 3839617View attachment 3839618
The darker ones are from the Cayuga/black, I say.

Back
Top Bottom