The "refrigerator egg" thread

She changed positions and hatched this morning. first she was quiet, then zipping around. the other chick was trying to peck her, so I but them both in a cloth chicken bag I made and put them on a warm beany bag they are cuddling. Both are girls- and one is grey/silver, one is grey/golden brown.

So happy she made it! And so glad to hear you got two girls out of it, as well!

I almost wonder if the dad is the frizzle on these. I did make soup of 2 roosters one had some red, the other was a black and white. I didn't think they were old enough to breed, or didn'tthink I'd have any "takers" from the hens. the 2 eggs I have due on the 11th of nov. are for sure from the frizzle father... we will see.

I almost wonder if the dad is the frizzle on these. I did make soup of 2 roosters one had some red, the other was a black and white. I didn't think they were old enough to breed, or didn'tthink I'd have any "takers" from the hens. the 2 eggs I have due on the 11th of nov. are for sure from the frizzle father... we will see.

I hope you will show us pictures. I can't wait to see what a half frizzle will look like. I'm making some mutts right now. The only thing I know for sure is that some will be olive egg layers.

Because of how the gene works, pretty much every frizzle is half frizzle. A frizzle is usually bred to a smooth-feathered chicken, and 50% of the offspring will also be frizzle. Its an incomplete dominany trait. Breeding two frizzles will produce about 50% frizzle, 25% smooth, and 25% curly. But the curly tends to have very fragile feathers that break easily, so most breeders avoid doing that.

I made a Punnett Square a while back and posted it to help explain how the frizzle gene works. I'll try to repost it here, but I'm on my phone, so it might not work correctly.

Here we go. I had to wait until I logged back on with my main computer. My phone just wasn't having it!

I actually don't remember. These days I wash them, but I can't remember if this was before I started to do it or not.

I'm probably about to give this another try, simply because of the number of eggs I have, versus the number of people wanting chicks. And here I thought SPRING was the busy season! I guess the real busy season is right BEFORE spring!

these are the frizzles- the 2 big ones were 3 weeks older- I put in 2 eggs got 2 chicks- but in 2 more eggs 3 weeks later got one chick they accepted the baby easy- I kept the baby and gave the 2 big ones to a lady who had grandkids since the chickens were nice. the little frizzle 3 months old now is with 2 5 week old chicks and they sleep under her. the pic below was the 2 big ones as babies-

Back
Top Bottom