The road less traveled...back to good health! They have lice, mites, scale mites, worms, anemia, gl

Status
Not open for further replies.
DANG, Another thread I'm hooked on!! Thanks, Jules for starting this thread. Thanks especially for taking the time to answer questions.

Here's to a learning experience for us all.

Thanks again,

Julie

Aw, Bee, heck, you made me teary-eyed just reading about the way you found them.
hugs.gif
I never have been and swore I never would be a chicken-hugger that you OTs could make fun of -
big_smile.png
- But tonight when I go down to lock my girls in I just might have to be a chicken-hugger for just one night!

Those poor babies - and the reason ANY of them are still alive is probably due to the wonderful flock management they had from you all those years.

I know you say that the people who had your girls were 'nice people' and I guess I'll have to take your word for it, but I could hardly describe anyone who would keep ANY animal in those conditions 'nice.' You are a very generous soul.
wink.png

Strength and fortitude to you, Bee.

Thank you, Maven. I agree that the term "nice" is something that has many facets. On the surface, these are nice folks and can be very kind. Then somewhere along the way, lazy meets carelessness and nice takes a hike, looking for a safe place to hide. And the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Some folks don't care about the welfare of their animals, even though they say the words with their mouths. After I let them have the flock I got to see how they left lambs out in the cold and wet to die when it was obvious they weren't going to make it. My thinking is this..if the lamb isn't going to make it anyway, kill it and put it out of its suffering. Don't leave a baby animal in a cold mud puddle until it finally dies.

They also refused to put down their good Border Collie(sweetest dog you'd ever want to meet) when she had inoperable cancer and was in pain...took her home and let her suffer until she was found dead one morning. And their daughter is a vet, could have put her down for free.

I gave them my two sheep when I gave them the flock of chickens...only one is now alive. The best of the two was allowed to gorge on spring grass until she bloated and died. Keep in mind these folks are old farmers that have been raising sheep, cattle, horses and chickens for years. This does not mean they know just HOW to raise them...they've just been doing it for years. Apparently didn't learn any vital stuff along the way.

They are nice, but....nice will only take you so far. I didn't really know the details of their farming tactics until after I let the flock and my sheep go there and had started my travels. Too late then and I value human relationships over animals...I would never make these folks feel bad over their doings. They are nice...just not much shucks for farming and taking care of animals.

These chickens are weak and they don't feel good...they might even be in a little pain with their feet. If I thought they were too far gone and were suffering too much, I'd just end them. They are moving, they are eating and drinking and now they are foraging...if they could do none of these things, they would be given the hand of mercy.

We'll see how they go along....it should be interesting to watch.
smile.png

They may be "nice" on the outside, but no one that could treat animals that way can possibly really be "nice."

They didn't seem to want to give them up and then said they were planning to kill them and eat them. Also said the rooster isn't any good because they tried to incubate some of the eggs and none of them hatched. Gee...wonder if the rooster is infertile because you traumatized him by brutally chopping off his spurs, let him become so malnourished through parasite infestation that he can't even crow and his overall health is such that it's a miracle that he is alive? I wouldn't feel like breeding either.....
hmm.png

I offered to pay for them and I think they kind of felt ashamed at that point and let me take all of my original birds and a few of theirs. I wanted to get them all but they wouldn't let them go...poor birds that were left behind. Their rooster's feet were so infested with scale mites that you really couldn't see individual toes...his feet just looked like grotesque clubs of scaly mess. That one I would have killed right away...he was in obvious distress.

They aren't bad folks but, as I see so often in this world, their perception is a might skewed. It's so easy to give good care to animals and humans alike but you would be surprised how often I've found some of my patients being cared for far worse than the family dog. Most folks treat their dogs better than they treat some humans, so that road goes both ways in this life. Some people can't see past what they want to give others what they need in life and that's pretty much the world over...these folks are no better or no worse than the average person you will meet on the street.

Well, the first full day is over and the birds are moving better. Still slow and deathly quiet but they have foraged quite a bit, ate a good bit of food(green tomatoes, cottage cheese mixed with layer mash, pumpkin...all have been cleaned up), and are now bunking down. When I left the coop 5 had actually made it to the high roost!!!
yesss.gif
I could hear one of them softly singing the roosting song when I left them for the night. Life will be good again...today was the beginning of good things for this old, tired flock.

I've got my feed fermenting and built a feeder from rain guttering for tomorrow's feeding. Tomorrow we are moving the whole darn coop to one side and into fresh grass/soil, into a brighter patch of sunlight~this coop has no flooring, just the ground.

I'll be placing more roosts and making a high place for an open waterer. I'm thinking I won't use a nipple waterer until spring...too late in the year to introduce a new concept and then have to take it away to use the heated bowl.

After they work over the new grass floor and before winter, they will get a layer of pine shavings. Hay bales will be added along the walls before it gets too cold and some plastic will be applied to keep the winds from whistling over these weak birds. All forecasts say we will have a tough winter...we'll see how these birds make out when the snows are deep and nights are cold. Should be a real test of their hardiness.

Thank you all for your prayers and well wishes for these birds...God sees the sparrow when it falls and He watches over all things. He brought me and my flock back together for a reason...I'm glad for someone or something that needs me right now. Was feeling pretty useless lately....
big_smile.png

Oh Bee... those poor birds are in good hands again! Thank you for sharing this. I'll be following along learning as much as possible. I guess everything happens for a reason but I'm glad they're back with you. I don't think those people were nice or knowledgeable. A little kindness goes a long way... I hope they all make it!
fl.gif

I am sitting here thinking that those poor birds have been blessed. Not by the bad treatment. By the pure and loving heart you have. You will give them a fighting chance and be strong and end it if they don't make it. I just had to put one down because the coyotes broke in and stole 5 and injured another. We ran heavy gauge fencing and are just waiting for the chance to exact revenge. Be strong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom