The Run thread

C2Chicks, how long had you had chickens in your run when this picture was taken? I ask because I can't imagine how you do or will keep the wood chips in their place and the sand in its. I tried having separate areas like this in my run and my birds first covered the nice little planted areas with sand and chips and then proceeded to cover the rest of the sand with chips. So now it looks exactly like it would have if I'd just covered the whole area with chips. Once or twice a year I put the chips back in their place. It usually lasts for a day or two. The chickens just don't seem to have the same decorating sensibilities that I do. Which might explain why they just poop wherever they like. :)

But, it is a very pretty run.

My run is not fancy, but keeps the girls safe from the visitors. I add more sand each spring to the floor. The run is 8x8 feet and the roof is covered to keep the hawks away. We let the hens out for supervised yard time when the weather is nice.

In the winter, we cover the run with plastic to keep them dry and out of the wind.

this is our run in the middle of expansion. we were free ranging the girls, but are tired of poop on the porch and patio and dont were going to need to fence off our garden anyway, so we decided to expand. the original run is the tall 4x4s and was completely closed and covered. we are debating if we want to do the same for the bigger run or leave it uncovered. today is the first day and only 2 girls have hopped the the fence and are staying on now that i have put them back in.

Quote: It's been awhile since we've had the new "open floor plan". We used to have the run separated onto 3 smaller areas, that way 2 were always recovering. It seemed like such a waste of space that I opened it up.. They're not mixing things up too badly, I think the position of the grazing frames is helping to keep things separated. I like the sand more than the chips, so if something has to go...it'll be the chips
smile.png

I like the high dome on this! I was thinking of something similar and also squarish. I have a pup that we are working on to subdue his interest in the girls but I was thinking is would be good to have a square shaped area instead of a long narrow one so they didn't feel surrounded by him. What did you use for the arch supports? What size is the footprint?

Thanks, it looks great!
We put this up on Friday as a temp run for the girls until they are big enough to free range with the ducks in the yard.

I like the high dome on this! I was thinking of something similar and also squarish. I have a pup that we are working on to subdue his interest in the girls but I was thinking is would be good to have a square shaped area instead of a long narrow one so they didn't feel surrounded by him. What did you use for the arch supports? What size is the footprint?

Thanks, it looks great!
Quote:
x2

Back
Top Bottom