~The Sapphire Gem~ A Breed's Chat Thread

Pics
For those who are following this thread and not the other thread being updated with gem info (go check it out, link listed above), thanks to @The Moonshiner we found this information:
"DOMINANT BLUE D 107 is result of crossing synthetic original paternal stock Blue Plymouth Rock with Barred Plymouth Rock maternal stock. Day old chicks are colour sexed. Day old cockerel chicks are barred with a white spot on the head and day old hen chicks are dark without a spot on the head." (http://dominant-cz.cz)

@PachecoPeeps informed us that in contrary to this information, we have found males without barring. Regarding that fact, further investigation is needed to 100% confirm..

P.S, I don't know about anyone else but I quite like a exciting breed mystery like this:D especially if we can find out more about this dominate blue gene..

**** Question ****
I have been searching google for the " Blue Plymouth Rocks - I cannot find any - where can I get them???

Thanks
Rick

The company that created the gems and the splash Plymouth rocks used are from the Czech Republic.
As for where exactly Hoover's obtained there stock or exactly what stock they're using that is unknown.
I'm not yet convinced Hoover's themselves know exactly.

Last edited:
Hello all. My sapphire gem chick that I bought at TSC was supposed to be a pullet, but HE is not. lol
He is a good boy though. I'm wondering if anyone else has a roo and has pictures to share?
IMG_20180612_191841_183.jpg

I know on another thread someone posted about getting 2 boys as well. They became more barred as the got older. Here is the link for it https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-is-a-sapphire-gem.1219553/#post-19498976
Just seeing this thread...have to go back and read through. Mine are all 5ish months old now so this is my take. Color means nothing...though all my girls were darkish with obvious wash on beak / legs....and though my boys were light with barely any wash....that was coincidental. It seems the only way to sex this hybrid is at a day old when the Cockrels allegedly display a light spot on their head. That said, prior to 7 or 8 weeks, barring is NOT an indication of male/female. ALL my chicks had chick-style barring on their wings. When they started to feather out, it disappeared. Completely. Even on the boys. They were just a solid light grey....though I suspect in darker variety cockerels, they'd just look more like the typical pullet. Around 7 or 8 weeks, with much scrutiny, I saw some barred feathers starting to poke through in the neck and in time, in the hackle/saddle areas. In the end, my suspected roos were indeed roos but they Def did not follow the rules! If you go through the other thread, you can see the pics I posted throughout as we all tried to figure out the SG gender mystery :D
IMG_20180713_3.jpg
IMG_20180713_2.jpg
IMG_20180713_6.jpg

The company that created the gems and the splash Plymouth rocks used are from the Czech Republic.
As for where exactly Hoover's obtained there stock or exactly what stock they're using that is unknown.
I'm not yet convinced Hoover's themselves know exactly.

I spoke to "Mary" a previous owner at Hoovers and she said that the get the eggs from The Czech Republic. She also said that they are getting the Hybrid "NOT" parent stock.

She also indicated that she did not "know" what they are crossed with to produce the Hybrid.

I have also spoke to Roy at Leighvale Poultry <[email protected]>. He states that "
All Dominant programmes are hybrids. If you buy D107 parents you will have exactly same genetics as Hoovers, there's is D107."

Currently - Steven Hunter in Canada - https://www.precisionplymouthrocks.com/blue
will be attending the Ohio National Poultry Conventuion in November of this year. He said Roosters are $150.00 each.

So thats all I know at this point !

Rick

Back
Top Bottom