The Sizzle Thread!

Pics

ladyfaeden

Songster
8 Years
Dec 7, 2011
St. Helens, Oregon
I cannot find an active thread for the discussion of breeding Sizzles. Please post pictures and lets get the word out about these gorgeous little chickens!

To clear up the usual confusion:

Sizzles have all the characteristics of Silkie chickens, except the feathers are not silkie feathers (So black skin, 5 toes, crest, etc). They come in smooth and frizzled. When you breed for Sizzles you will likely also get some silkies and frizzled silkies (just like it sounds-silky feathers that are frizzled).

I have Sizzles from EmVickry and about 25 potential ones about to hatch from Country. So excited and hopeful for one like Blue Dahlia!

Last edited:
i posted this in the sizzle breeding page on Facebook but though it could help here too :)

A quick intro to SIZZLES....
The Sizzle got their name because they are simply a cross between Silkies and ANY breed of frizzled chicken, but frizzle bantam cochin are most often used.
Sizzles are bred to the same breed standard as Silkies, but with harder (non-silkie) feathering. And like any other breed, they come in frizzled and smooth feathering. Sizzle is simply the name of the breed.
They are basically hard feathered Silkies, so what is a flaw in Silkies is also a flaw in Sizzles. Since Sizzles are a newer breed, just about any flaw is worth working on, as long as they are paired with a mate that doesn't have that flaw.
When breeding a frizzled Sizzle to a smooth Sizzle you can expect four feather types, smooth sizzle, frizzled sizzle, Silkie and frizzled Silkie. Sizzles can be paired with Silkies to help improve certain traits. Keep in mind that it is not recommended to breed two frizzled birds together. This is because you have a chance of getting an over frizzled (frazzle) or mostly naked looking bird. This is true in all breeds of chickens.
It also good to keep in mind that the more often you breed to Silkies the less hard feather genes you end up with. Also if you breed a frizzle Silkie to a regular Silkie you will not get any Sizzle (hard feathered offspring), just more Silkies and frizzled Silkies.
In a few generations of breeding only Sizzle to Sizzle together you may be able to breed out the Silkie feathering genes giving you Sizzles that could breed true; meaning 100% sizzle (hard feathered) offspring.
There are handy breeding charts, and info on showing Sizzles available in the file section of this site. If you have more questions please feel free to post here, there are lots of helpful breeders on this site!

Not totally dead. Cochin /silkie frizzle
IMG_20190519_194014083.jpg

Thanks for starting this thread. I started my Sizzle project several years ago & it's been a long bumpy road but well worth it. I totally adore these little guys. One of the best things (IMHO) about Sizzles is the fun of hatching them. Each hatch is like a surprise party!! Like you said, you get curled Sizzles, smooth Sizzles, Silkies, & frizzled Silkies. Of course you also get a few unwanted surprises too, such as red or single comb, 4 or 6 toes, but those are coming up less & less. My little ones are into the 11th & 12th generation now & I can hardly wait to see what the next year will bring.
Here are a few of mine, starting from earlier generations until current.
Wheezer was about 5th or 6th gen. He's cute as can be but has a red comb.

Blue Dahlia, one of my favorites. As a chick & as an adult.

Another favorite - Petunia.

Here are a few of the smooths. They look just like a Silkie with regular feathers. People really like them because you can see the feather patterns on them.
Geronimo, from 4 generations ago but still using him on some of the curly Sizzle hens.

Here are blue, black, & splash smooth Sizzle hens. The splash is from last year's hatch.

These two were hatched at the end of last year & started laying a few weeks ago. I just put some of their eggs into the bator but the roos are young so not sure if they're fertile yet.
Blue girl below is having a bad "hair" day. It rained the day before her pic was taken & she lost most of her curl. It makes me wonder if people living in damp & humid climates might have Sizzles & not even know it!! lol

I know there are several other Sizzle breeders on here from seeing their posts from time to time, so I'm looking forward to pictures from everyone.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom