The Sizzle Thread!

Here is one of my smooth feathered sizzles.
What color would you call this... it looks like grey with buff tips, sort of.
The mother is a grey sizzle and father a porcelain silkie.

Last edited:

Here is one of my smooth feathered sizzles.
What color would you call this... it looks like grey with buff tips, sort of.
The mother is a grey sizzle and father a porcelain silkie
such a cutie :), we had a little discussion just recently on the Facebook sizzle group about lemon blues. i think maybe that would be the closest color match would be lemon blue, but not quite right. if she/he is crossed to porcelain you could breed back to porcelain and get a mix of porcelain and lemon blue using this cutie. but porcelain is lavender based and lavender is resistive so you will not be able to get porcelain in the first generation.

heres what every one says is lemon blue in color...

this one people say might be closer to brassy back something or another???
which could be a option color wise for yours too, are's both look really young, i expect them to change a lot as they grow :)

For you genetics people...
Just this past year I really got serious into breeding sizzles. I was giving a bunch of chickens from my mother in-law including 3 silkie hens, 3 silkie roosters, a sizzle rooster and a paint frizzled silkie hen. I just recently finished hatching a whole bunch of eggs and found something pretty cool...

This is my blue silkie hen, she's very pretty but has gold leakage that you can kind of see, I decided to breed her anyways, thinking any white chicks will be gorgeous, and breeding to a white bird I wasn't sure what other colors I would get.

I put her in a breeding pen with my white silkie rooster. The rooster is from a long line of white silkies, that I know for sure, there is no mix of anything there. I've been told 3 days is long enough to ensure the eggs are fertilized by one particular rooster, but they were alone together for about 2 weeks before I collected eggs for hatching.

I hatched 3 chicks from this pair.
All 3 were white sizzles. I found this a little odd, so I hatched 2 more.
Those 2 were white sizzles.
This hen looks nothing like a sizzle or frizzled silkie, but I guess she's hiding it pretty well!
smile.png

Also, from my understanding of color genetics, silkies usually are recessive white, and in that case my rooster would have to be homozygous recessive. Would that not mean to have white offspring the hen would have to be heterozygous? And that would mean 50% white 50% colored, so why am I getting all white? Could there be dominant white in there?

I'm confused as to how you got sizzles from two silkies-I heard it takes about 30days for fertilization from one bird to be absent before another rooster can be used. So it sounds like your hen was still fertilized from your sizzle rooster? Unless you meant to say your white sizzle and not white Silkie? You can't get sizzle offspring from two Silkies.

I'm confused as to how you got sizzles from two silkies-I heard it takes about 30days for fertilization from one bird to be absent before another rooster can be used. So it sounds like your hen was still fertilized from your sizzle rooster? Unless you meant to say your white sizzle and not white Silkie? You can't get sizzle offspring from two Silkies.
Sorry I should have clarified that, I have multiple pens for the birds. This hen in particular has never been put into the pen with the sizzle roo. She has only been with silkies. Before I put her and the white rooster alone she was in a pen with the white rooster and a partridge rooster. I know the breeding of both those roosters, neither have any sizzles in their backgrounds. The hen is the only one who's background is a little shady, she comes from a person who bred sizzles. My thinking is that she is a descendent of a sizzle, but maybe has enough of the frizzle modifier gene to hide it entirely? I'm not completely sure how that gene works.

Sorry I should have clarified that, I have multiple pens for the birds. This hen in particular has never been put into the pen with the sizzle roo. She has only been with silkies. Before I put her and the white rooster alone she was in a pen with the white rooster and a partridge rooster. I know the breeding of both those roosters, neither have any sizzles in their backgrounds. The hen is the only one who's background is a little shady, she comes from a person who bred sizzles. My thinking is that she is a descendent of a sizzle, but maybe has enough of the frizzle modifier gene to hide it entirely? I'm not completely sure how that gene works.

My understanding is if a bird doesn't show frizzles it does not carry the gene as it is a dominant gene. Can you post pics of all birds in question, including the chicks?

My understanding is if a bird doesn't show frizzles it does not carry the gene as it is a dominant gene. Can you post pics of all birds in question, including the chicks?

That's what I thought, just because you have a bird that came from a Frizzled parent, doesn't mean you're going to get frizzling offspring from it unless you breed it to a frizzled bird. Which is why, in order to get the frizzling, you would breed a frizzled to a smooth or a frizzled to a Silkie. But two silkies should give silkies just like two smooth sizzles would give nothing but more smooth sizzles.

So, the hen was kept with the Sizzle rooster before she came to you? And she was separated from the Sizzle rooster for 2 weeks before you collected her eggs to hatch, is that correct?

If that was the case, then she was VERY likely still fertilized by the Sizzle rooster (obviously, since you've got frizzled chicks). Most breeder wait at least a month to gather eggs when they switch out roosters or have acquired new birds.
And yes, a frizzled bird will show the frizzling if they have it. If they don't, then they are not frizzles.
I'd love to see pictures of your chicks!

Last edited:
So, the hen was kept with the Sizzle rooster before she came to you? And she was separated from the Sizzle rooster for 2 weeks before you collected her eggs to hatch, is that correct?

If that was the case, then she was VERY likely still fertilized by the Sizzle rooster (obviously, since you've got frizzled chicks). Most breeder wait at least a month to gather eggs when they switch out roosters or have acquired new birds.
And yes, a frizzled bird will show the frizzling if they have it. If they don't, then they are not frizzles.
I'd love to see pictures of your chicks!

I do not know if they were together before I got them, it is possible. I got all the chickens at the end of September, they were separated into 2 pens once I got them home (silkies in one, sizzles in another) until the 23rd of October, which is when I put this hen and rooster alone together, so there was 3 or 4 weeks in between there where she was only with silkies. Could she have been fertile by the sizzle rooster for that long? Even when being bred constantly by the silkies? And my other question, all the chicks are white, the sizzle rooster is black and red, so I'm not sure how he and this hen could produce white chicks, unless his sperm and the silkies combined somehow? Can that happen? Or maybe there was even another rooster... Gosh the mystery never ends..
I will definitely post pictures off all chicks/chickens in question when I get home tonight!

Back
Top Bottom