The Sizzle Thread!

Anyone have pics of silkie and frizzled Cochin cross? I think these 2 have potential for some really pretty babies

I have been told that ours is a cochin silkie cross after we contacted the breeder saying obviously we didn't get the golden lace cochin we paid for lol but he is a beautiful boy and so loving !!

^ I wish you were closer, I'd take him in a heartbeat!

dstinett- yes, breed father to daughter, or mother to son. Siblings tend to carry many of the same faults, breeding them together just make them worse. Keep your best Sizzles and breed them back to Silkies, if you have unrelated birds, even better!

i posted this in the sizzle breeding page on Facebook but though it could help here too :)

A quick intro to SIZZLES....
The Sizzle got their name because they are simply a cross between Silkies and ANY breed of frizzled chicken, but frizzle bantam cochin are most often used.
Sizzles are bred to the same breed standard as Silkies, but with harder (non-silkie) feathering. And like any other breed, they come in frizzled and smooth feathering. Sizzle is simply the name of the breed.
They are basically hard feathered Silkies, so what is a flaw in Silkies is also a flaw in Sizzles. Since Sizzles are a newer breed, just about any flaw is worth working on, as long as they are paired with a mate that doesn't have that flaw.
When breeding a frizzled Sizzle to a smooth Sizzle you can expect four feather types, smooth sizzle, frizzled sizzle, Silkie and frizzled Silkie. Sizzles can be paired with Silkies to help improve certain traits. Keep in mind that it is not recommended to breed two frizzled birds together. This is because you have a chance of getting an over frizzled (frazzle) or mostly naked looking bird. This is true in all breeds of chickens.
It also good to keep in mind that the more often you breed to Silkies the less hard feather genes you end up with. Also if you breed a frizzle Silkie to a regular Silkie you will not get any Sizzle (hard feathered offspring), just more Silkies and frizzled Silkies.
In a few generations of breeding only Sizzle to Sizzle together you may be able to breed out the Silkie feathering genes giving you Sizzles that could breed true; meaning 100% sizzle (hard feathered) offspring.
There are handy breeding charts, and info on showing Sizzles available in the file section of this site. If you have more questions please feel free to post here, there are lots of helpful breeders on this site!

So I have a question I was told first I had a partridge sizzle but then was told he was a cochin/silkie crossbreed !! Was it correct that I was told sizzles have mulberry colored walnut combs ? Because mine has a bright red walnut comb ! It doesn't really matter what he is because OMG is he loving and so sweet and affectionate ! Just curious what his actual breed is ?

Technically, since Sizzles aren't an accepted breed, he is a cross breed. And so are all the other birds posted here. If he has all of the traits you're looking for to continue on with your project, keep calling him a Sizzle and help us get them recognized as an official breed ;)

My Sizzle cockerel is really starting to fill out! I'm not too happy with the size and color of his comb, but other than that, I'm pretty pleased with him so far!

Back
Top Bottom