The story of my flock

I hope you can keep them all!!
Me too! We have the nine original hens remaining, plus the three ducks have their own hut for overnight. But since the losses, we have been keeping all twelve birds mostly in a 10x10 dog enclosure, just ranging a bit in between transitioning to and from the coop. So I feel like 10-12 hens plus the ducks is about the max we can do here, without expanding the run area.

I was thinking of using electric netting around the 10x10 enclosure to provide a little extra safety so they can spend more time ranging in however big the net is... All 9 hens plus 9 chicks, plus the ducks would be too tight in the dog run alone, and I'm sure we would just end up free ranging them again, opening ourselves up to more losses. :(

Also, the current coop is only 5x6 so we are already kind of pushing it with the nine. I think the upper limit might be 2sqft per bird, or up to 15 hens, so same where about 12 chickens and we are maxed out. Initially, we had eleven and they were totally fine in there overnight, and then out ranging most of the time. But we are planning to build a bigger coop and enclosure at the new place, we just don't know how long before the move might actually happen... we kept saying it would be in the next couple of months! ...But now it might not be till some time after October so. :/

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom